1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

What is the correct way to rank?

Ok, I've been trying for years now with very little success. A few months ago I thought I had figured it all out. Then either algorithm change or penguin knocks me out again.

What I'm wondering is, is there any way to rank correctly. Say Google have 200 ranking signals. What are they and how relevant are they. It's clear everyone is still after links, I think anyway. But Google don't seem to like that. What do they like? I mean, could I just make s popular website with good stats and it would rank on its own. Or do I definitely need to be building links. Cos whatever I do seems to be wrong. Either I get penalised or there some kind of algorithm change that knocks me straight back down. I'm not talking about all searches. The one or two I follow I do alright on, but I've dropped on a million others and traffic is way down. Especially for the time of year. What the hell have I done wrong? What is the correct way to rank on Google?
    All your carpet needs try www.quality-carpets.com or if you have any questions www.carpet-questions.com
  3. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Try PPC and stop trying to figure it out, because you don't take direction well.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

PPC doesn't pay for me at all. If my profit margins were huge I might get results and it might be worth a try. But I can't see how anyone in my market can afford to make PPC pay. The only way would be if they are paying rock bottom prices, which let's assume they are. And had the highest conversion rates on the best website. Let's assume they also do. Then I'd say they earn about £50 - £60 on an average order. In my market on a good day that will only pay for about 50 clicks. I don't make sale in 50 clicks and I doubt they do. Saying that though, they must mustn't they, else it wouldn't pay. Is my website just not good enough for that. Plus they rank so they get organic traffic as well.

i can't see them making a sale every 50 clicks though. Not the way I've been going for the last couple of years.

i mean I have one competitor that I've been told makes loads of sales. They sort of rank but all there prices are higher than mine. And I've recently added some colour to my website(I'll upload the changes on Saturday when I'm free). That should make my website at least look like a reasonable option. But I need to get higher in the rankings. I might also add that whatever has effected me seems to be effecting them as well. They are dropping on some searches, although they seem to recover a bit or stand the changes better than I do.

is it really all just about building more links than the next guy?
  7. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

We've told you what we think, a new and proper website for starters. Look through these threads that you make very 3-4 months and you'll see what you need.
    Always happy to help in private message. | Learn about my latest project Can You Get Automated Pages To Rank In Google?
    Useful Links: Useful SEO Tools | GTmetrix | FileOptimizer | Cloudflare
  9. Contributing User

@qualitycarpets! I have to agree with ThomasHarvey about your website. I does call for a complete redesign. Your existing site, at least your landing page, takes 26.3s to load. I have a hard time reading your content. Plus, your important content is not where it should be. Imaging I am GoogleBot and I am coming to your site to do my job. I think I will have a hard time getting to the meat of your content, thus I will grow tired and give up (Yes, I will give up and go somewhere else).

Make your site simple yet informative, make it as fast as you can because I am not going to wait 26.s second, provide good content and user experience. Don't forget to perform keyword research because you could be targeting the wrong thing!

I also agree with Test-ok when it comes to asking for help, many recommend solutions, but then you don't follow or even try them.

You have good people, with great knowledge here, and willing to help but if you ignore their recommendations, they might not be willing to respond to your call for help!

So follow their recommendations and come back later if you need further assistance!

I wish you good luck!
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Like you've been told hundreds of times before but never listen, you need a new website. It is very slow and doesn't do the job you want it to do.

Comments on this post

• roma64 agrees
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by qualitycarpets
    Then either algorithm change or penguin knocks me out again.
    So your site has incurred penalties before if I understand this correctly.

is it really all just about building more links than the next guy?
    Yes and no. Its about building good and relevant content and links. You can have all the links you want, but is that generating
    conversions. All websites are about conversions, whether you're a brick and mortar or affiliate marketer or what ever. You
    need content that is compelling, and provides proper call to actions.

This is an observation of your site..

You have no content that is compelling, :You have stuffed "quality carpets" such that I don't think its possible to stuff that
    term any more... Your backlink profile looks like a fema disaster response imho. Your site takes enough time so I could click
    your link but go make a snack and get a drink before it loads. ( well not really that slow, but damn slow it was.) That
    there is one of your major problems, you lose I guess 80% of your visitors there alone. Don't know many folks that wait
    over 30 sec for a site to load, most will not wait even 10 sec and yours is well, it's too damn long period !

Then you come to a SEO Forum and from what I can see, don't take advice from any of the reputable members here, and I
    see them providing a lot of free advice and help.

Look mate, you're probably a really nice guy and all. but I have a suggestion, Quit whatever it is you are doing that you think is seo,
    hire someone to do it. I see a few here I would love to have working on a seo project or two.

Just my two cents worth

Comments on this post

• roma64 agrees
    • Doodled agrees : Nice summary!
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I know the site is slow. But it's the best I can do at the moment. I live on a tight budget.

And still after 2 years I don't think I really understand how content is going to help an e-commerce site. None of my competitors have any real difference in there link profiles.

and I don't even know that I was penalised. I've had no messages or anything. I just know in the 26th of August my site stopped climbing in serps and disappeared off of a lot of searches. I can't explain it. Everything was looking good.

oh and I suppose I have crammed a few keywords in the coding of the site.

but a redesign will have to come next I think. I need to know whether it will effect my rank if I do manage to design a site with all the bells and whistles.

And finally, I do listen, it's just not that easy when you honestly don't know this stuff. I mean I get told all the time that my site is s**t but it's the best I've got for the time being. I just need to get more clicks and more conversions. A few would be enough, I don't need many. But when no one sees my site what difference does it make.

Will it effect my rank if I redesign?
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Plus on a side note, there are no conversations about carpets. One magazine/website have done a well written buyers guide on carpets. It ranks, but I can see there ever being any more interest in carpets than that. It's a bit better than my basic buyers guide.

but there is no interest in carpets. Nothing to make link bait out of, no more information than I have on my site. I've tried everything. The only option left is money. And like I said I don't have any. I don't have the funds to endlessly promote. I need to get higher in the serps.
  19. Contributing User

PPC will bring out some ugly truths real quick. You won't see the return from a site that can't convert. However, you might need to run some PPC in order for it to sink in though. Run a test campaign, use some keywords you know would convert. When your ads don't convert, you will realize that it is not a traffic issue you are having rather, it is a site quality issue.

The bit about site speed and your tight budget is nonsense. You don't need faster, more expensive hosting, your first time to byte isn't bad. You just need to improve your markup and images.

https://www.webpagetest.org/result/1...all_view_step1
    https://tools.pingdom.com/#!/c6Gs7Y/...y-carpets.com/

Look at the waterfall, you will see your problem. Your slider images are massive, look at reducing their file size. Also your product images are huge. Get comfortable with Photoshop's save for web feature.

Wordpress and Woocommerce are free. Pretty much any ecommerce theme will convert better than your current layout. Any emotional attachment you have to your current layout, leave it behind. It isn't making you any money, so stop hanging on to it.

Seriously, look back at all the old posts you've made and look at the suggestions. Most of what I'm mentioning I know has probably been covered. I know images have been mentioned and you still ignore it. Also, I know the (www, non-www, http, https) issue was mentioned, yet you still have ignored it. That is such a frustratingly easy fix that would remove your quadrupled duplicate content issue. I have no idea why you let that sit.

Your buyers guide took me forever to find with your mobile style navigation. (Why do you have a mobile nav menu on desktop?) It's broken up into multiple hidden tabs, and has no information on different types of carpets. I would think your competition has got you beat there. Work on making some quality content that people can actually use. Take this example from your buyer guide:

"Unfortunately we do not offer a fitting service, as we may be located quite a distance from the customer recieving the goods. Fitting carpets can be quite tricky so it is always better to get a trained professional to fit for you. We do sell tools for anyone that likes to do it yourself, but it is not advisable. For your local fitters your could try your local yellow pages or Yell.com. We ourselves do not have a guide to fitting carpets but there are many resources on the web that can help you. There is a guide on doityourself.com and many videos on youtube, we do not endorse these websites as we do not recommend that you fit the carpets yourselves. Instead the best option would be to get a trained carpet fitter to do it for you. You could try the National Institute of Carpet and floorlayers at nicfltd.org or there are many carpet fitters listed on freeindex.co.uk or Yelp.co.uk. It is always a good idea to get a trained professional to fit you carpet."
    This left me confused, you mentioned a bunch of sites, maybe they are links? I can't tell, there is no indication that it is a link, until I'm hovering over it. (Keep in mind, hover is non existant on mobile) Then you go on to say that "we do not endorse these websites". So why did you mention them? This is 1/4 of your buyer guide. Basically you could have said, we recommend you find a trained carpet installer. Here is a list of trusted installers.

(Bonus, you could reach out to carpet installers in your area and create some kind of relationship where you mention them as a trusted installer and they mention you as a trusted source for carpeting. Maybe you can even get a one way backlink out of it.) One or two links from actual carpeting websites will pay off far more than the ridiculous directory link package you bought.

Most of the people on here have given up on helping you. Honestly, I should do the same but, I think we all genuinely want to see you make some improvement. In order for that to happen, you need to follow what we are suggesting,

Comments on this post

• Will-O-The-Wisp agrees
  21. Contributing User

@qualitycarpet - Like ryandiscord said, we do want to help you but we can't help you if you continue ignoring good recommendations provided by many good and kind people here. Yesterday, I run a GTMetrix scan on your site and forgot to provide a link: https://gtmetrix.com/reports/www.qua...s.com/2tXDLlTB

Here is what the report means (I am not going to get too technical here. I will try to make it as simple to understand as possible). Please note that this is part of your Technical SEO techniques, and not your On-page SEO. Resolving the below issue will improve on your page speed, but will have impact on your on-page SEO.

Please note that I am still recommending, like many others, a complete re-design of your website using an open-source CMS (CMS = Content Management System) with Woocommerce. I myself would prefer Magento because I always believe that using the right tool for the right task is important and since you are selling products, than Magento would be a good fit. If I want to race cars, I would buy me a racing car and not your regular car that I will have to customize and turn it into a racing car.

But if you believe that Magento has a steep learning curve, than go with WordPress and Woocommerce (Woocommerce is a plugin).

Note - If you decide to go with a complete redesign, I recommend that you keep your existing one while working on the new one (either on a local machine or with a good hosting company using their 'Staging' feature). This way, once your new site is done, I am sure you will need to 301 redirect your old URLs (that have been already indexed) to a corresponding URL.

Serve scaled images - It means that you should not upload a 357x315 image and then have it resized within the HTML because doing so will make the page take longer to download

Leverage browser caching - This will make the browser cache all the files and improve page load when the come back to your site. You can do that through your htaccess file

Combine images using CSS sprites - Using CSS sprites, your images will be combined into as few images as possible resulting in less trips, and improved page load

Optimize images - This is a very easy fix. First, follow the 'Serve scaled images' recommendation. Then optimize your images for speed (reduce image size)

Defer parsing of JavaScript - What this means is that JavaScript files (5 + 1 Inline JavaScript) are loading before your important content. If you are using WordPress or Magento, you can use JCH Optimize for this.

Minify JavaScript - Many JavaScript (and CSS) files have comments and white space and removing them can save of many bytes and speed up page download

Specify image dimensions - It is recommended that you specify image dimensions (width and height) for each image but depending on the image dimension, doing so will make your images no longer responsive. What you will need to do here is to save your images with dimensions that will fit the viewport of each mobile device. This way, you can add image dimensions within your copy.

Optimize the order of styles and scripts - First, your scripts should be set to load last (before anything). Your styles (CSS) should be set to load before your JavaScript

Specify a cache validator - All static resources should have a 'last-modified', or 'ETag' header All static resources should have either a Last-Modified or ETag header. This will allow browsers to take advantage of the full benefits of caching. This can be done via your htaccess

Minify HTML - This will be the same as 'Minify JavaScript' and 'Minify CSS). Be careful here though

Minify CSS - Same as 'Minify JavaScript

Specify a character set early - You need to specify a character set in the HTTP response headers of your HTML to allow the browser to start parsing the HTML and execute scripts immediately.

You don't have to go with my recommendations but at least, do something!

Hope this helps!

Comments on this post

• Will-O-The-Wisp agrees
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Plus on a side note, there are no conversations about carpets. One magazine/website have done a well written buyers guide on carpets. It ranks, but I can see there ever being any more interest in carpets than that. It's a bit better than my basic buyers guide.

So why did you decide on carpets if there is no interest?. I disagree with you !.

Do you really think there are blogs for carpets, Probably not, how about plumbers, or for that matter electrican's or Pest Control. If you look for terms "Home and Garden" or "Home improvement" I think you will find there are places you can do posting and possibly get some good links. It would not hurt your site to actually use a paid Angie's Listing. The pros and cons are with sites like this you get a do follow link rather than a no follow link. It's not seen as a link scheme. But you will have an annual membership fee.

I don't know if the UK has a counterpart to BBB. The Better Business Bureau. I do a lot of local businesses and I tell my clients 26 dollars a year is cheap for a BBB listing. You can get one free here but, being accredited is a tipping point when choosing a business that is vs a business that is not. I hope you understand what I am trying to tell you here.

But your content is what sucks the most. every other word , no offense , is quality carpets,

I am not a carpet expert but look...

We here at Quality Carpets are dedicated to delivering the finest goods available. Our carpets come with Stain Guard, making it easy to clean accidental spills before they stain the carpet.
    We do not provide carpet installers, we leave that choice to you. We can suggest local merchants to install your new wall to wall carpeting.

Now that is just off the hip. Do you see the difference and understand it. First I am not stuffing quality carpets down the throat.

There is a term you need to learn and understand. LSI = Latent Semantic Indexing

Car is to tire is to jack is to wind shield is to flat tire is to spare tire is to tune up is to engine overhaul is to tire iron. They all relate to "CAR" so Google when it scans the content uses this
    information to decide if you page is "RELEVANT" or not. One of the Reasons Your Site is Content Thin. Also note that your slider, contains content, but it's not readable by Google or
    any other SE for that matter. So all that is not content its a picture and google can't read pictures like humans can, well not yet.

Take no offense the this.. I take it english is not your 1st language, I get this impression from the way you talk. Get someone to re-write your content in English, that is their 1st language.
    Either you give them an out line of what you want said and let them re-write or just hire some one to do it. But get someone whose 1st language is English, since you are targeting an english
    speaking population.

Comments on this post

• Will-O-The-Wisp agrees
    • Doodled agrees
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Congratulations Quality Carpets. You have fixed some issues with your site. Removed duplicate titles and removed 500 server errors... You have even managed to reduce the load time to 10 - 12 seconds! If you could get it down to 3 seconds or less that would be a great bonus for you.

Now what is next on your agenda ? Putting titles on the empty 85 title-less pages, I hope. You are on a good start. Keep this up and you will soon outrank you competition if you follow the advice
    given here in SeoChat.Com !
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Create a better buyers guide.
    Create the bare foot feeling review for differnt piles.
    How does underlay effect the feel of the carpet.
    What type of carpet should landlords use in their rental properties. The trade off between quality and cost.
    Carpet colour.How to choose the right colour carpet.
    Carpet or hardfloor
    How to clean the 7 most common stubborn stains out of your carpet.

There are plenty of informative content pages that you could create that catch people in the pre purchase cycle and then you can then push to your product pages. I russled those ideas at 3am with no idea about carpet.

your website needs to convert. It is typically harder these days to get away with substandard websites when the average user is more savvy and average site standard is higher. Unless you're so nichè the product or service speaks for itself. I appreciate you are on a tight budget. Have you looked into a template site to assist. Then get involved in some relevant groups on social media to produce some sales

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity

sceneca
    Last edited by hunter86; Sep 26th, 2016 at 09:26 PM.