Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

What is bounce rate?

My web bounce rate is always above 80%.
    What is good bounce rate?
    Is it possible to reduce bounce rate?
    What are the techniques to reduce bounce rate?
  3. Contributing User

Originally Posted by Abhi71
    My web bounce rate is always above 80%.
    What is good bounce rate?
    Is it possible to reduce bounce rate?
    What are the techniques to reduce bounce rate?
    Hi Abhi

Bounce rate is "the percentage of visitors to a particular website who navigate away from the site after viewing only one page."
    So the question of what is a good bounce rate depends on whether you want/need visitors to view more than one page.
    As a general rule of thumb I aim for 50% or less, but again, this depends on circumstances.
    Yes it is possible to reduce bounce rate, but the method for doing this varies depending on the goals of your site.

Having good UX, clear navigation, clear call to actions and (generally) a site that people want to explore.

Dont get too hung up about it. Concentrate instead on whether the goals of your site are being met. At the risk of starting another bar-room brawl in the forum(!) Its not a ranking factor anyway (see recent thread).

Comments on this post

• JohnAimit agrees
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Hi Abhi71,
    With respect, you are looking at "bounce rate" (BR) the wrong way.

"Bounce rate" is a diagnostic tool. It can help you assess where there may be problems with:

• Who is landing on your site?
    • Where they are landing on your site?
    • Are there problems with a page's content?
    • Are your SE ad programs working?
    • Are your social media ad programs working?
    • Are your external links working?

...and much more.

About the least useful metric is the average bounce rate for an entire site.

The first major BR variable will be the nature of the website.

Egs:
    1. A general business directory: These may have a very high ave. bounce rate because people largely go there for a phone number. Land on a page, click the phone number and away. A 100% bounce rate that successfully delivered the wanted info.

2. An SEO chat forum: These may have a lot lower bounce rate because their objective is to encourage folk to explore and interact with various forum threads.

BTW, You need to get used to using the "Secondary" parameter drop box in Google Analytics.

Reducing bounce rates depends on what problems an high bounce rate may uncover.

a. If you are targeting potential clients from a specific location, you may find a huge difference in bounce rates based on country or city visitors.
    BR Solution: Improve your location targeting

b. BR by acquisition source: Check BR for each of your sources of traffic.
    I've audited a site where all Facebook ad referrals generated a 100% BR with an ave. time on page of less than 20 seconds.
    BR Solution: Were ads targeting the right audience or was the content of the landing page irrelevant?

C. BR for individual site pages.
    You need to consider the purpose of individual pages on your site before assessing their BRs. Some pages are navigational - a list of products in a product category on your site. If folk land on this type of page from a SE, you might expect them to have a low BR because their purpose is to direct visitors to another site page. If a visitor arrives on a specific produce page and bounces, this could be a neutral signal as they may have obtained the necessary info.

PS. You may often want to consider BR in combination with time on page.

PPS. What you don't have to worry about is BR having any impact on your search ranking.
  7. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by JohnAimit
    PPS. What you don't have to worry about is BR having any impact on your search ranking.
    Most definitely an opinion not shared by all, real digital marketing professionals
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    Most definitely an opinion not shared by all, real digital marketing professionals
    I'm trying to answer the OP.

You seem to want to go off topic with irrelevancies.

All I can say is that it seems, the only folk who think BR is a ranking signal are those who think:

a. Google tells lies.
    b. Those who have not read/watched Google tell why it does not, cannot and does not want to use bounce rate as a signal.

Have I left any group out?

KP, Please stop going off topics in the posts and wasting our time.

We have done this G uses engagement signals dance so many times in the forums and, to my knowledge, you have never replied with anything of substance. Your last best effort to justify your position was a 5+ year old article. So far out of date as to be irrelevant.

How about you give it a rest until you have something new, accurate, relevant and logical to share with us?

Then, please start a unique topic thread so we don't waste the time of posters on unrelated topics.
    Last edited by JohnAimit; Jun 18th, 2017 at 08:37 PM.
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by sirbassface
    Hi Abhi

Bounce rate is "the percentage of visitors to a particular website who navigate away from the site after viewing only one page."
    So the question of what is a good bounce rate depends on whether you want/need visitors to view more than one page.
    As a general rule of thumb I aim for 50% or less, but again, this depends on circumstances.
    Yes it is possible to reduce bounce rate, but the method for doing this varies depending on the goals of your site.

Having good UX, clear navigation, clear call to actions and (generally) a site that people want to explore.

Dont get too hung up about it. Concentrate instead on whether the goals of your site are being met. At the risk of starting another bar-room brawl in the forum(!) Its not a ranking factor anyway (see recent thread).

Thank You. It is very useful information for me.
  13. Digital Marketing

Your last best effort to justify your position was a 5+ year old article
    That article was posted to ask a question that I honestly wanted an answer to. The question was: What does an SEO "expert" like yourself do when 100% of their knowledge comes from an article they read. You answered it perfectly: You preach the one with the newest date. Let’s hope someone doesn’t publish something newer that conflicts with your religion of Google, it’ll blow up your world! :

Anyway, relax, just because I don’t always agree with you doesn’t mean you have to go on the attack. I’m sure the results you get on your tiny island nation are just fine.
  15. Digital Marketing

All I can say is that it seems, the only folk who think BR is a ranking signal are those who think:

a. Google tells lies.
    b. Those who have not read/watched Google tell why it does not, cannot and does not want to use bounce rate as a signal.

Have I left any group out?
    Yes, Larry Kim.

Just for the record, as I have said previously, I agree with Mr Kim that although Google does not calculate bounce directly into its highest level ranking signals it does use dwell is some form or another and you can't calculate dwell without having a bounce rate. It's what I think, just my opinion... and Larry Kim’s

But I guess he’s wrong too.
  17. Digital Marketing

Its not a ranking factor anyway (see recent thread).
    You really should say "in my opinion" as many search professionals believe bounce is at least part of the algorithm
  19. Contributing User

You really should say "in my opinion" as many search professionals believe bounce is at least part of the algorithm
    Fair point.
    IMHO bounce rate is not a significant ranking factor.
  21. Digital Marketing

Fair point.
    IMHO bounce rate is not a significant ranking factor.
    lol you just moved the goal posts dude. Why are you saying significant? That's new, nice try. My argument is simply that search engines use it in some form as part of dwell time. That's the discussion
    Last edited by KernelPanic; Jun 19th, 2017 at 06:15 PM.
  23. No Profile Picture

Thanks for your valuable information.
  25. Contributing User

lol you just moved the goal posts dude. Why are you saying significant? That's new, nice try. My argument is simply that search engines use it in some form as part of dwell time. That's the discussion
    Because I'm acknowledging that some people think it forms a (small) part of the G algorithm.
  27. Entrepreneur
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

Hi KP, you are right in some extent, I have gone through your post recently where you discussed about how dwell works? Also we can't ignore why Google implemented RankBrain algorithm, even I have discussed many of SEO folks who believe now bounce rate would be influenced organic results in some extent.
    Last edited by Prof.stan; Jun 20th, 2017 at 02:38 AM.
    You do your business I do mine because you are you and I am I If we meet it is nice.
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

More user-friendly website... decreases the bounce rate so just focus on all the above things mention by the experts... I am also learning here and this forum is very helpful.

Comments on this post

• KernelPanic agrees : Thanks for the input Shelly!
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  • Jump to page: