1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Website not improving for 3 years

I feel so discouraged having had a website for 3 years and I still haven't reaped any noticeable benefits coming from it.
    I used to write content once every week, only a couple ranked. For the past few months, I stopped
    putting up new content because of school. Now I graduated and I have the time but I don't know where
    to start. The few posts that had ranked are no longer in the first page. I'm barely getting any views or clicks.
    https://imgur.com/a/DCfPrAs
    In the analytics and performance images, you can see how much my website has deteriorated. It's like I'm
    back to level 1. I made this website in the hope that I would have a personal income and become independent.
    I'm only 17 and I have so much to learn. I'm still hosting this website thanks to my father's support, but I
    fear that he may tell me to take down the site as it's useless and wasting money.
    Can someone please give me an advice? I chose this niche because it's something I'm interested about.
    I didn't know it would be this tough.
    Here's the site: guition.com
  3. Moderator
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

You actually have a pretty nice site here. It is just that you have some technical issues that need to be addressed.

There is something wrong with the way some of the URLs are generated. Maybe someone else here can walk you through that. Are you using a URL plugin?

But your URLs are not optimized for SEO. They should be very clear and easily understood. For instance, one might read something like guition.com/accoustic-guitar-lessons
    Many of your URLS do not adequately represent your pages.

And that popup. I would never have a pop up on every page, too risky. Google likes to penalize for that, and especially if they come before approximately 45 seconds. I currently have a site with (one) popup that arrives @ 45 seconds that is doing well. But I have been penalized using a shorter time.
    Last edited by DirectHits; May 15th, 2019 at 01:28 PM.
  5. Moderator
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Your site structure isn't good. For example, from / (home) you link to guition.com/wp-content/cache/all//index.html, which is a duplicate of your homepage. Which is also set to noindex.

If you have duplicates they need to be canonicalised, or even better, redirected. Loads and loads of these mistakes all over too. Loads of pointless pages aswell, which will be crawled (Google will catch onto the fact that 9/10 of your pages have no purpose - or are just duplicates).

Example:

Your /category/ pages

&

/wp-content/cache/all/about-me//index.html
    /wp-content/cache/all/category/acoustic//index.html
    /wp-content/cache/all/category/beginner//index.html
    /wp-content/cache/all/category/cheap//index.html
    (loads more!)

It's a waste of crawl budget and a signal of low quality. If you were to sort your site out from a technical point of view, I think you'd see gains - you clearly work hard on content, so well done there.

I would say download Screaming Frog, as it'll uncover at of your issues but you need to know what you're looking at. Perhaps a course in technical SEO would be pretty beneficial.

--
    Regarding the pop-up what DirectHits talks about, I'd recommend a pop-up on exit. Not timed.
    Last edited by matt1966; May 15th, 2019 at 09:00 PM.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

As matt said your URL structure is not good that's why Google not indexing some of your pages like "https://guition.com/the-best-guitar-tuner-app-android-ios/" and more so check indexing..
    • Learn what are permalinks to setup URLs.
    • Either redirect or use proper canonical tags
    • Don't show pop-ups for every page to the same user.

fix this
    User-agent: *Disallow: /wp-admin/
    Allow: /wp-admin/admin-ajax.php
  9. Moderator
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

fix this
    User-agent: *Disallow: /wp-admin/
    Allow: /wp-admin/admin-ajax.php

Uhm, fix what?
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by matt1966
    Your site structure isn't good. For example, from / (home) you link to guition.com/wp-content/cache/all//index.html, which is a duplicate of your homepage. Which is also set to noindex.

If you have duplicates they need to be canonicalised, or even better, redirected. Loads and loads of these mistakes all over too. Loads of pointless pages aswell, which will be crawled (Google will catch onto the fact that 9/10 of your pages have no purpose - or are just duplicates).

Example:

Your /category/ pages

&

/wp-content/cache/all/about-me//index.html
    /wp-content/cache/all/category/acoustic//index.html
    /wp-content/cache/all/category/beginner//index.html
    /wp-content/cache/all/category/cheap//index.html
    (loads more!)

It's a waste of crawl budget and a signal of low quality. If you were to sort your site out from a technical point of view, I think you'd see gains - you clearly work hard on content, so well done there.

I would say download Screaming Frog, as it'll uncover at of your issues but you need to know what you're looking at. Perhaps a course in technical SEO would be pretty beneficial.

--
    Regarding the pop-up what DirectHits talks about, I'd recommend a pop-up on exit. Not timed.
    I don't know how to thank you. I thought guition.com/wp-content/cache/all//index.html isn't a problem so I just left it be. I believe it's fixed up now. As for the duplicate content issue, I never realised its a problem until you pointed it out.
    Im in the process of fixing that using 301 redirection. I don't know if that will help but I also did noindex on categories and tags.
    I will take care of the pop up as well.
    I appreciate your help!