#1
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    72
    Rep Power
    42

    Using images from google images on your site-penalties!


    Apart from the legal ramifications, are there any SEO effects from using an image from the google image results on your website? If so, where do you get affordable images?

    read somewhere online that Google can blacklist you/penalize you for using a copyrighted image, now im very paranoid! Would they only find out if someone alerted them? For example, its okay to use someone else's image as long as you have their permission. How are they supposed to know if you have their permission or not, leading me to believe that they will only penalize you if someone "tattled". Either way, it's not worth the risk!
    Last edited by mkowlowitz; Mar 25th, 2012 at 06:55 PM.
  2. #2
  3. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Gloucester (South West UK).
    Posts
    6,533
    Rep Power
    3521
    Originally Posted by mkowlowitz
    Apart from the legal ramifications, are there any SEO effects from using an image from the google image results on your website? If so, where do you get affordable images?
    There are lots of image-selling sites out there, try googling "affordable images"!

    Originally Posted by mkowlowitz
    read somewhere online that Google can blacklist you/penalize you for using a copyrighted image, now im very paranoid!
    Whether Google blacklist you is probably less important than whether you find yourself on the wrong end of a lawsuit for displaying copywritten images without consent.

    Originally Posted by mkowlowitz
    Would they only find out if someone alerted them? For example, its okay to use someone else's image as long as you have their permission. How are they supposed to know if you have their permission or not, leading me to believe that they will only penalize you if someone "tattled".
    Are you asking for advice on how to break the law without getting caught?

    Originally Posted by mkowlowitz
    Either way, it's not worth the risk!
    That's probably true.
    ClickyB
    "The quality of the visitor is more important than the volume..." (Egol 22nd Feb 2008)
    [New to SEO/SeoChat?] [Canonical Problems?] [Forum Rules & Posting Guidelines]
  4. #3
  5. -
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    London, Uk
    Posts
    2,685
    Rep Power
    1621
    Originally Posted by ClickyB
    Whether Google blacklist you is probably less important than whether you find yourself on the wrong end of a lawsuit for displaying copywritten images without consent.
    Our avatars could land us in trouble technically
    I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

Similar Threads

  1. Link Building 101
    By GaryTheScubaGuy in forum Link Development
    Replies: 172
    Last Post: Feb 10th, 2011, 03:25 PM
  2. Google Adsense Updated
    By kjsingh in forum Search Engine Optimization
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Oct 2nd, 2006, 07:40 PM
  3. What is Google - An Opinion
    By fvkg in forum SEO Help (General Chat)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Jul 6th, 2005, 05:00 AM
  4. Buzz abounds on Google IPO
    By ctn in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Jun 14th, 2003, 10:20 PM

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo