1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

The use of AdWords for a Content Campaign

If developing a ton of content for an awards show and you're looking to become the major source now and going forward for let's say The GRAMMYs, would you consider an AdWords campaign to show up at the top of search listings?
  3. Contributing User

Well, it depends on your goals. AdWords would definitely speed up the process, but you have to have ROI plan first, otherwise it will be a waste of money.
  5. Founder, LeadJoint.com

I am assuming you are talking about Adwords on Google search and not about display ads. In that case, it depends on how many people are searching for the said awards on Google. I think it would be a better idea to use display ads on the authority sites in the niche - this is where the audience hangs out, and even if they don't click, it helps in branding since they would probably see the same ad multiple times. With Adwords, it is just going to be once when they search for a related keyword - and that is all.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

We are already going to do a campaign where banner ads will appear on certain sites [retargeting]. I was just thinking maybe for a 3 month period we go after this specific award show [example: The Oscars] and try to show up at top of search results for it through the period.

Really, the goal is not necessarily clicks but exposure and brand recognition. I know with an Adwords campaign the amount of clicks we will get isn't large.

Thoughts?
  9. Founder, LeadJoint.com

Got it. I'm just not sure how much Google search targeting would help in brand recognition - I would say that you take up Google search advertising only if you have a product to sell and can measure the conversions. You may have cumulatively reached out to say 100K people through this campaign, but on an individual user basis, each one of them might have only seen your ad once, and that doesn't help in brand building. On the other hand, display advertising on a site you frequent everyday would subtly catch the user's attention so much that they start knowing about your company even without having clicked on the ad.

Another point - do make sure that the keywords you are targeting are not trademarked. I haven't checked but would wager a guess that 'Oscar', 'Grammy', etc. may all been trademarked.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by leadjoint
    Got it. I'm just not sure how much Google search targeting would help in brand recognition - I would say that you take up Google search advertising only if you have a product to sell and can measure the conversions. You may have cumulatively reached out to say 100K people through this campaign, but on an individual user basis, each one of them might have only seen your ad once, and that doesn't help in brand building. On the other hand, display advertising on a site you frequent everyday would subtly catch the user's attention so much that they start knowing about your company even without having clicked on the ad.

Another point - do make sure that the keywords you are targeting are not trademarked. I haven't checked but would wager a guess that 'Oscar', 'Grammy', etc. may all been trademarked.
    So you would definitely say whether I'm working on a podcast network or an awards show, the best way to go at this is to use google display instead of adwords. But, in the end, do you think any of the two are good ways to spend $$ to promote such products like a podcast network or an awards show? Thanks a lot for your time and guidance. Greatly appreciated
  13. Founder, LeadJoint.com

Yes, I wouldn't spend on Adwords unless I know I can recover the money through selling a product. If you have to advertise a podcast network, try capturing email addresses through your display network advertising. Also,I kinda feel if you do have to take the advertising route, Facebook ads could be a better bet.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks a lot. I really appreciate the help and guidance.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by leadjoint
    Yes, I wouldn't spend on Adwords unless I know I can recover the money through selling a product. If you have to advertise a podcast network, try capturing email addresses through your display network advertising. Also,I kinda feel if you do have to take the advertising route, Facebook ads could be a better bet.
    If you are focusing on a group of podcasts you would just focus on social advertising. You mentioned that display and adwords are probably not the way to go with this type of campaign even if it's just to be found 1st under search for podcasts in Google?

Thanks again lead joint for your help.