Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Lightbulb URL optimization suggestion...

Hi to all

I need to optimize URL for couple of dynamic site. I'm a newbie to dynamic related sites and to URL optimization too.

Can anyone provide the steps to do the URL optimization for dynamic site?

Thanks in Advance....
  3. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

In general, the laws of diminishing returns apply here.

That is, in the scope of SEO, the decreased value a specific technique offers to the whole as other factors of greater impact are included into the mix.

So if you only had a url optimization factor involved you would get a value of say 1.

But if you add the value of a title element to the optimization value and that impact is 10 - the value of "1" is miniscule in comparison.

Then when you add in a link and the impact of that is 100 and if all other websites are equally adding in multiples of 100 (100 for each link) and they have 100 links so 100 X 100 = 10,000 your advantage over them on the url optimization of "1" is equal to practically nothing when you are attempting to move up a single ranked position (since you can't move up a partial position).

Therefore index.php?=c-112 is just as good as /keyword-phrase/ unless you remove all the links out of the equation and also the title elements... which never happens.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hmm but the ranking factor involves title, url structure and the description or in some case webpage content too.

If you have a perfect URL structure then for every query in Google shows the exact page to the viewer.

For example:

Searching for a "buy 36" LED TV"provides a result of a some product website's home page is not equal to the result of 36" LED TV page which has lot of brands and pricing details for each.

In this case which is the easy to attract user to your website?

Getting user to Home page or to the exact page?

My answer is driving user to the exact page is worth and this is the Google's motive in the recent years...

Share your thoughts please....

And the answer for the main thread tooo....

Thanks..
  7. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by manojkumar7
    Hmm but the ranking factor involves title, url structure and the description or in some case webpage content too.

If you have a perfect URL structure then for every query in Google shows the exact page to the viewer.

For example:

Searching for a "buy 36" LED TV"provides a result of a some product website's home page is not equal to the result of 36" LED TV page which has lot of brands and pricing details for each.

In this case which is the easy to attract user to your website?

Getting user to Home page or to the exact page?

My answer is driving user to the exact page is worth and this is the Google's motive in the recent years...

Share your thoughts please....

And the answer for the main thread tooo....

Thanks..
    So you're saying that if you have a listing of index.php?c=3544 the searcher does not know what the page is about?

Because what? ...the title is Place Title Here and the description is Place Description Here

Sorry - if that was the case and the page was about buy 36" LED TV you wouldn't rank to begin with for searchers to ignore the listing.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by fathom
    So you're saying that if you have a listing of index.php?c=3544 the searcher does not know what the page is about?
    Not like that, Google does not display such kind of URLs in the ranking even if it has the useful content on its page for the query made by the user. (Its my perspective according to my experience)

If u noted any cases ranking with index.php?c=3544 kind of URL please share it here for reference.

And mostly the exact internal page ranks down(sometimes not in 1000 too occur) than the Home page, in such cases which is not so relevant to the query raised by user. The home page not ranks within 50 easily. But the inner page with perfect URL structure ranks within 50 is somewhat easier

Originally Posted by fathom
    Sorry - if that was the case and the page was about buy 36" LED TV you wouldn't rank to begin with for searchers to ignore the listing.
    Sorry I couldn't understand your point!
  11. rod@missionop.com

Not like that, Google does not display such kind of URLs in the ranking even if it has the useful content on its page for the query made by the user. (Its my perspective according to my experience)

If u noted any cases ranking with index.php?c=3544 kind of URL please share it here for reference.

And mostly the exact internal page ranks down(sometimes not in 1000 too occur) than the Home page, in such cases which is not so relevant to the query raised by user. The home page not ranks within 50 easily. But the inner page with perfect URL structure ranks within 50 is somewhat easier

how about for searched term SEO

Search Engine Optimization (SEO) - Webmaster Tools Help ranks #2
  13. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

There are many examples of sites which rank and perform well with such urls, so saying google don't rank them well is... well... rubbish and a myth! See Official Google Webmaster Central Blog: Dynamic URLs vs. static URLs for more details on static and dynamic urls as well as your myth of google not being able to rank them as well or high!

Non the less, if you want to make your urls more user friendly (which I do prefer, but what Fathom is pointing out, is that simply doing this will not move your site up in rankings!) try a search like making urls user friendly - Google Search which comes up with a number of good sites to read up on.

Comments on this post

• manojkumar7 agrees
    New To SEOChat? See Here & the FAQ's

"stupid people say stupid things, and smart people out smart each other!" SOAD
    301 Redirects | SEO Tools | Default htaccess | CuteRank
  15. rod@missionop.com

You don't understand because your logic does not make any sense and isn't based on genuine experience.

Please test your theory first... multiple times even, to produce evidence that you might be on to something... then you will have a chance at appreciating my point.

I've expanded my theory so you can wrap your head around it.

That is, in the scope of SEO, the decreased value a specific technique offers to the whole as other factors of greater impact are included into the mix.

So if you only had a url optimization factor involved you would get a value of say 1 point. Against others sites that are not URL optimized (and only NOT URL optimized) they would start with 0 points - so OK you clearly win. But that scenario will NEVER HAPPEN.

If other instead added the value of a title element to the optimization value and that impact is 10 points - the value of your "1" is miniscule in comparison. e.g. you'll beat websites that don't URL optimized but if all have a great title involved then they have the advantage of you by 9 points... and if you also have a solid title it would be 10:11 in favor of you but a single point difference isn't going to give you solid #1 ranks... when results are that close "THEY BOUNCE!"

When you add in a link and the impact of that is 100 points and if all other websites are equally adding in multiples of 100 points (100 for each link) and they have 100 links so 100 X 100 = 10,000 your advantage over them on the url optimization of "1" is equal to practically nothing when you are attempting to move up a single ranked position (since you can't move up a partial position). At any time where your URL optimization MIGHT be the clear winner - the other domains only need to add 1 more low quality link and they beat you again by 99 points.

You'll never have stable results "IF YOU URL OPTIMIZATION IS THE DECIDING FACTOR!" One moment you'll be #1 and the next search you'll be #38, then #18, then #7, then #54.

Therefore index.php?=c-112 is just as good as /keyword-phrase/ unless you remove all the links out of the equation and also the title elements... which never happens.
    Disprove this... then come back and debate the merits.

Comments on this post

• manojkumar7 agrees
    Last edited by fathom; May 9th, 2013 at 07:23 AM.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Well!! thanks NathanielB for your reference links...

My doubt was cleared. That the static URL structure will increase the CTR, which was the indirect question to the thread, whereas, dynamic URL structure has not.

And found that it has the difficult status of removing the site from search result if dynamic URL is wrongly rewrite to static URL.

It would be better changing at the initial stage itself which will be the safer side for the site to get ranked in google.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Now I understood the concept in dynamic page URL structure.

Thanks to every one who has spent their valuable time to reply to this post. And a special thanks to fathom.

Thanks once again....
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

bad practice examples:
    www.mydomain.com/architecturesasjdhjkID=8889
    www.mydomain.com/jsakdasdj
    www.mydomain.com/architecture_firm_london

best practice example:
    www.mydomain.com/architecture-firm-london

Comments on this post

• fathom : RUBBISH!
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Please stop being provocative by insulting everybody.
    Also if you refer to the SEO starter guide, where you are going to see a best practice example you are going to see something similar. So I guess what Google suggests, is rubbish. I am returning this comment to you.
  25. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by misterdoyle
    Please stop being provocative by insulting everybody.
    Also if you refer to the SEO starter guide, where you are going to see a best practice example you are going to see something similar. So I guess what Google suggests, is rubbish. I am returning this comment to you.
    Please stop incorrectly advising others.

Google isn't telling you any big secrets to develop success in Google... and if you actually frame the question to them correctly they will tell you their guide isn't for advance users. (that's code for actually knowing how to get better ranks).

I have already explained why you (and Google) are wrong in the first post I made in this thread:

Originally Posted by fathom's Great Insult

So if you only had a URL optimization factor involved you would get a value of say 1 for that. That's a good start.

But if you add the value of a title element to the optimization value and that impact is 10 - the value of "1" is miniscule in comparison.

Then when you add in a link and the impact of that is 100 and if all other websites are equally adding in multiples of 100 (100 for each link) and they have 100 links so 100 X 100 = 10,000 your advantage over them on the URL optimization of "1" is equal to practically nothing when you are attempting to move up a single ranked position (since you can't move up a partial position).

Therefore index.php?=c-112 is just as good as /keyword-phrase/ unless you remove all the links out of the equation and also remove the title elements from the equation... which never happens.
    Last edited by fathom; May 15th, 2013 at 01:12 PM.
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

So Google is wrong and you are going to correct everybody.. ok... You need to read again which guidelines were given by Google as BEST PRACTICES.
    My suggestion for you is to read again this section from Google Webmaster Tools: URL structure - Webmaster Tools Help
  29. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by misterdoyle
    So Google is wrong and you are going to correct everybody.. ok... You need to read again which guidelines were given by Google as BEST PRACTICES.
    My suggestion for you is to read again this section from Google Webmaster Tools: URL structure - Webmaster Tools Help
    I suggest you read and learn a little more before giving advice which is not what was asked or being talked about! Because there is a difference between "good practices" and what will help you to rank!

Read the thread again and note that the OP is asking if doing this will help with rankings and the answer is no! Google can and will read dynamic and static pages all the same!

Now go and read this Official Google Webmaster Central Blog: Dynamic URLs vs. static URLs which I already linked to above! Now are you saying google is wrong?

On a side note, please ONLY use the "report spam" button to do that, not to falsely report members for abuse when they are trying to help you learn!
    Last edited by NathanielB; May 16th, 2013 at 08:18 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: