Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
    #1
  1. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    17
    Rep Power
    0

    URL’s are case sensitive?


    Guys I have one query is – URL’s are case sensitive? Means upper and lower case in url can arise duplicate url issue?
    Like www.abc.com/Xyz/ and www.abc.com/xyz/ will be considered as two different URL?
    or
    If sites url get open from both url www.abc.com/HOME/ and www.abc.com/home/ and if yes then share solution to resolve this issue.
    Last edited by dzine; Sep 11th, 2013 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Please unlink your example URLs the next time
  2. #2
  3. SEO Insultant
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    sharing a room with my ego
    Posts
    5,668
    Rep Power
    1792
    Exactly. Solution: never use capitals in URLs
  4. #3
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    43
    Rep Power
    5
    Very true, best practice, use lower case URLs. If your site currently has mixed case URLs being indexed and creating duplicate content you could have a problem on your hands. A way to prevent that from happening is to use rel="canonical" mark up to show the search engines which URL is the preferred URL.
  6. #4
  7. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    0
    Agreed, always best practice to maintain consistency site-wide. I just ran into the same issue on one of the sites I manage. Previous webmaster decided to use uppercase for the first letter of some geo page URIs. NOT GOOD!
  8. #5
  9. No Profile Picture
    Banned
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    0
    Always use small letters for urls.
  10. #6
  11. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    17
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by dzine
    Exactly. Solution: never use capitals in URLs
    Fine, got that but what the soultion if there are few url's with this issue?
  12. #7
  13. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    17
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by (not provided)
    Agreed, always best practice to maintain consistency site-wide. I just ran into the same issue on one of the sites I manage. Previous webmaster decided to use uppercase for the first letter of some geo page URIs. NOT GOOD!
    What did you do to resolve this issue?
  14. #8
  15. SEO Insultant
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    sharing a room with my ego
    Posts
    5,668
    Rep Power
    1792
    If no one ever links to the version with the capitals, then there is no problem.

    Are both versions of this page indexed?
  16. #9
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    32
    Rep Power
    12
    Originally Posted by dzine
    If no one ever links to the version with the capitals, then there is no problem.

    Are both versions of this page indexed?
    Yes both versions are indexed by robot's and they treated as different versions and one is considers as duplicate content. use real=canonicalization for those upper case urls.
  18. #10
  19. SEO Insultant
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    sharing a room with my ego
    Posts
    5,668
    Rep Power
    1792
    @jacksontrovert
    how come you're answering a question I put to @tony69 ???
  20. #11
  21. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    17
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by jacksontrovert
    Yes both versions are indexed by robot's and they treated as different versions and one is considers as duplicate content. use real=canonicalization for those upper case urls.
    any other solution because if I had this issues with several pages then it wont be easy to put canonical tag at each page manually.
  22. #12
  23. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    17
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by seomaster5
    Dont use CAPITAL in urls first of all and in my opinion use seven words to make the url not greater than that.
    Each person have there own concepts i might wrong but i have shared.
    Ya I do understand and do'n't use capital in URL but few of urls are present with capital therefore I AM just trying to figure out the best solution to deal with this issue.
  24. #13
  25. SEO Insultant
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    sharing a room with my ego
    Posts
    5,668
    Rep Power
    1792
    URLs in your browser's address bar are hardly ever case sensitive.
    However: URLs of page ones links to (in the website's code) often are. Especially if said pages reside on *nix servers.

    Again: people should know this.

    P.S.: I don't know if there's a quick way to fix this other than using manual redirects or "canonical tags".
    Last edited by dzine; Sep 27th, 2013 at 07:29 AM.
  26. #14
  27. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    27
    Rep Power
    0
    Urls are case insensitive. Its like fixing a name to a particular person, he will be known by that name till death unless its changed by legal methods. Similarly if a url is made in caps,its not an issue. But basically we don't find urls in caps. caps in internet basically mean rough language. May be that's the reason why people opted small case letters for urls. You can also change the url and still get all the earned back links through 301 redirect. Also you can remove urls using Google webmaster tool. I hope i am right.
  28. #15
  29. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    17
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by LindaCletus
    Urls are case insensitive. Its like fixing a name to a particular person, he will be known by that name till death unless its changed by legal methods. Similarly if a url is made in caps,its not an issue. But basically we don't find urls in caps. caps in internet basically mean rough language. May be that's the reason why people opted small case letters for urls. You can also change the url and still get all the earned back links through 301 redirect. Also you can remove urls using Google webmaster tool. I hope i am right.
    if i have numbers of pages with such issue then is it feasible to apply 301? if yes then please share how I will do that one by one?
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

Similar Threads

  1. Case Sensitive?
    By JBDK in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: May 9th, 2007, 02:16 AM
  2. Case Sensitive Ad Words....
    By sunnymonkey in forum Google Adwords
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Apr 21st, 2006, 10:18 AM
  3. MSN Case Sensitive!!!!
    By perfectseo in forum BING/Yahoo Search Optimization
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Jan 24th, 2006, 05:59 PM
  4. SERPS case sensitive?
    By Daavros in forum BING/Yahoo Search Optimization
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Dec 6th, 2004, 10:58 AM

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo