1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Transferring Google juice to a new domain

Hi guys,
    We have a site www. example.com which is really strong in the search engines.
    Now we want to make a Danish version, so we bought the domain www. example.dk.
    Is there any way we can transfer some "Google juice" from our strong .com site to our new .dk site?

We thought about creating a subdomain (e.g. dk.example.com). This subdomain would be strong in the search engines - as we have seen with our other subdomains.
    Could we in some way transfer the strength from the subdomain to the new domain?

Looking forward to your suggestions.

Kind regards
    Henrik
  3. Live and Learn!
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

You can transfer link juice from one page to another or one website to another by doing a permentant 301 redirect.
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Yup - a 301 redirect (or possible 301 Redirectmatch) in the htaccess file is all you need to transfer Google Page Rank and Stable Ranking Positions. DO NOT USE A 302.

Of course, there are navigational reasons a sub domain might have some Google juice and after the redirect you may be tempted to change this, so in effect, you'll reduce the power of the redirect if you get my meaning.

Bear in mind links transfer Google juice as well, consider linking sporadically from powerful pages on your site to your new domain.

Just a preference but I stay away from sitewide links these days.

PS - and remember you can 301 individual pages to new places, but remember why it is strong in the first place, ie one-time (internal) links from the main domain, and question would you be changing these later

To clarify - determine whether your subdomain strength comes from internal domain links or links from other websites - it's treated slightly differently in my experience
    Last edited by sandpetra; Jul 1st, 2008 at 10:00 AM.
  7. No Profile Picture

Could it be an idea to create the subdomain, launch the content on it, leave it for a couple of weeks (to get it up in Google rankings), and then make the 301 redirect from the subdomain to the new domain?

We have experienced that our subdomains get really good rankings, even when they are just linked to through one menu link on the main domain.
    This menu link couldn't possibly do it - it must be the domain name itself that contains so much juice.
  9. Contributing User

No I dont think so - not from what I see - it's not that simple, Chrisper. True a sub domain gets domain trust, but in my experience it has to be linked from the main domain to get that domains trust.

Just putting up a sub domain doesnt guarantee rankings.

I see, still today, that Google isolates certain parts of trusted sites and indexes and crawls certain parts of sites faster and better than others.

An easy way to visualise it is say you have a blog on the domain which is trusted and gets into google minutes after posting articles.

Set up another blog in a different folder and you'll find Google will treat this totally differently.

A domain isnt inherently trusted - parts of the domain are, certain feeds are.... the whole domain is not blindly trusted in my experience, just parts of it.

Perhaps it is different when you get to PR 8 and 9 and 10, but certainly I see Google treating PR 6 sites in this way.

2c
  11. The Maniac Marketer

And I second your 2c, sandpetra.

It only makes sense that Google would want to treat different parts of a domain differently. Or I could simply up my trust levels by putting good content on the home page, and then spam the inner pages with ads, or vice versa. Thankfully, the internet isn't dystopian enough for that; otherwise that would be all we'd ever see
  13. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

You also need to consider that with anything new... it takes time for that "new page" whether in the main domain or a subdomain or a new domain to gain something to pass... and the more "new's" you have involved the more time it takes.

If you are merely adding a page (or compete section) to a current 'high flying' website it takes no time at all for ranks to be gained by that new page(s) but that isn't the same as passing "juice" to something else... that takes much longer.

In the end - you have a highly trusted site... don't f*** with that... because you can more easily lose that one than turning out a second.
  15. No Profile Picture

Hi guys,
    Thanks a lot for your interesting points.

We will go with the straight solution: Launch the content on the new domain and make the necessary links from the main domain to the new.
    Then we'll hope that with some hard SEO work the new domain will eventually get high rankings.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Doesn't this also very much depend on the nature of the links themselves?

I would leave well enough alone, as Tsolber said, and start building backlinks from other Danish sites to the new site. If the new content is worth anything, you'll see it start to build strength without risking anything, and even if you do decide to try and fake it, it won't be a short term thing.