Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Totally confused with my SEO problems!!! Help me out!!!

Hello everyone,
    I have starter a blog back in January 2012 - Infworm.com, I have worked a lot on it and had posted daily content and got quality backlinks. Everything was working fine. I had a Pagerank of 1, thousands of daily visitors and I have around 600-700 pages out of which around 500+ were indexed in Google. But due to some problems, I had to switch my website to a new hosting service, keeping the domain name provider same.
    I changed the nameservers to the new ones and transferred the site completely. Once that was done, I was shown an error in webmaster tools that Google couldn't crawl my site, so I deleted my sitemap and re-submitted it. That was the day, until now it hasn't been yet indexed in Google and my rank is dropping day by day. Please help, I am not even getting the reason for this problem!!!
  3. SEO Insultant
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Quick question: why is your sitemap not located on the same domain?

Secondly: the sitemap listed in your robots.txt file actually leads to ANOTHER sitemap which in turn lists your files. I don't believe that was what you intended to do, was it?

Finally: if your website's visibility depends 100% on your sitemap, then it doesn't have enough good backlinks. It will need those backlinks anyway, to get indexed, get ranked and STAY ranked.

Comments on this post

• EGOL agrees
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by dzine
    Quick question: why is your sitemap not located on the same domain?

Secondly: the sitemap listed in your robots.txt file actually leads to ANOTHER sitemap which in turn lists your files. I don't believe that was what you intended to do, was it?

Finally: if your website's visibility depends 100% on your sitemap, then it doesn't have enough good backlinks. It will need those backlinks anyway, to get indexed, get ranked and STAY ranked.
    I actually do not know much where I am going wrong. Could you please tell me detail what exactly I should do? I use wordpress and Google XML Sitemap generator plugin. In robots.txt I have linked to sitemaps.xml file. Where am I going wrong?
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Your internal pages have the following meta tag.

<meta name="robots" content="noindex,follow,noodp,noydir"/>

There is your biggest problem. You need to change it to index. All that is being indexed currently is the Homepage and the /wp-content/ directory. You can submit a sitemap all you want but if you have the pages set to noindex they are not going to get indexed.

I see you are using Yoast. I have been using Yoast for a while now and I know that in the Yoast settings it gives you a big warning saying your pages are set not to be indexed. Have you not seen this warning?.

Comments on this post

• dzine agrees : Wow - and I hadn't even checked the code yet :)
    Last edited by zico82; Nov 11th, 2012 at 04:49 AM.
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by zico82
    Your internal pages have the following meta tag.

<meta name="robots" content="noindex,follow,noodp,noydir"/>

There is your biggest problem. You need to change it to index. All that is being indexed currently is the Homepage and the /wp-content/ directory. You can submit a sitemap all you want but if you have the pages set to noindex they are not going to get indexed.

I see you are using Yoast. I have been using Yoast for a while now and I know that in the Yoast settings it gives you a big warning saying your pages are set not to be indexed. Have you not seen this warning?.
    Thanks a lot for your response. I have made some changes now, How can I check the meta tags now after the changes. If it has not taken place, from where can I do the necessary changes?
    One more thing: Is this a serious issue causing Google not to index all my previously indexed pages?
    Last edited by ansrikanth; Nov 11th, 2012 at 05:12 AM.
  11. Contributing User

Originally Posted by ansrikanth
    Thanks a lot for your response. I have made some changes now, How can I check the meta tags now after the changes. If it has not taken place, from where can I do the necessary changes?
    You haven't made any changes that I can see, picking random pages I still see noindex.

If you go to your dashboard in wordpress then go to:

Settings > Privacy

is it set to allow search engines to index your pages?.

If your site is set as visible to all search engines in Settings > Privacy then the next place to check is:

SEO > Titles & Meta

In there click on the 'Post Types' tab and ensure the 'meta robots' [noindex, follow] button is unchecked. I have a feeling that it may be checked and this is where the issue is coming from.

Originally Posted by ansrikanth
    One more thing: Is this a serious issue causing Google not to index all my previously indexed pages?
    Well your pages are no longer indexed and as you mention in your first post the pages are no longer indexing and your ranking is dropping so I think we can say yes it is an issue, wouldn't you agree?.
    Last edited by zico82; Nov 11th, 2012 at 06:33 AM.
  13. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by zico82
    You haven't made any changes that I can see, picking random pages I still see noindex.

If you go to your dashboard in wordpress then go to:

Settings > Privacy

is it set to allow search engines to index your pages?.

If your site is set as visible to all search engines in Settings > Privacy then the next place to check is:

SEO > Titles & Meta

In there click on the 'Post Types' tab and ensure the 'meta robots' [noindex, follow] button is unchecked. I have a feeling that it may be checked and this is where the issue is coming from.

Well your pages are no longer indexed and as you mention in your first post the pages are no longer indexing and your ranking is dropping so I think we can say yes it is an issue, wouldn't you agree?.
    Yes, actually in my settings -> Privacy, it is checked that allow search engines to index my site.

While in Yoast SEO plugin, after my site transfer I have mistakenly checked the noindex, follow for all of my posts, pages and all. But just now I have unchecked it. Is it still somewhere, where there is a setting that I am missing which has left it to noindex?
  15. No Profile Picture

Now there's some serious issues here, you are very much right about the noindex thing. How ignorant I was about it. Anyways, now the problem is in Yoast SEO, Titles and Meta -> I have unchecked the noindex,follow option in post types and saved it.
    But even after the changes, in indivual posts and pages, I see that in Advanced settings for each page in Yoast SEO Wordpress Page, I see that it is still showing noindex, follow.
    Please Help with this!!
  17. SEO Insultant

It looks like that was it. Major tx to zico82 for finding the main issue.

Then again: you may want to start disabling other plugins until you find what's (still) troubling you. Are you using more than one SEO plugin? Are your pages cached?

Comments on this post

• zico82 agrees
    Last edited by dzine; Nov 11th, 2012 at 08:16 AM.
  19. SEO Insultant

Mind you, people are doing a full Site Review here while you're not even eligible to get one yet... But never mind that
  21. No Profile Picture

Mind you, people are doing a full Site Review here while you're not even eligible to get one yet... But never mind that
    Full site review?
    Whatever it may be, but you people at this forum are definitely great!!! Thanks for all your support, but there is one last problem I have previously stated, just after I fix it, I won't bother you people. But you people at seochat forums are really great!!!
    Thanks and sorry once again.
  23. SEO Insultant

Never mind. It never hurts to ask for assistance. And if people here feel they can (maybe) help, they will chime in.

P.S.: I think that your site is using LOTS of plugins. No?
  25. No Profile Picture

Never mind. It never hurts to ask for assistance. And if people here feel they can (maybe) help, they will chime in.

P.S.: I think that your site is using LOTS of plugins. No?
    Sort of!! Yeah, I know it has a lot of plugins, but I need all those and most of them are very low resource using plugins. I also use p3-Plugin performance profiler plugin and it shows that much of resources are not wasted by these plugins.
  27. Traffic drop sleuth. :)
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Before I saw the posts about the noindex stuff I had a look at your site. Now, noindexing is obviously a huge issue but you may have other issues as well. Where are you getting your content from?

I checked a few articles and several of them were direct copies from elswhere on the web, for example: http://infworm.com/no-google-maps-for-ios-6-as-of-yet/
    is the same as
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57519592-93/google-hasnt-done-anything-yet-with-maps-for-ios-6-schmidt-says/

This is a huge flag for Panda. If a user is searching for something and the exact same article exists on multiple pages then Google only wants to show one copy of this. If your site has many articles that are duplicated then it's not just those articles that suffer but your whole site can be slapped with Panda and fall to page 10+.

Comments on this post

• zico82 agrees : Seems there's more than just an indexing problem with the site. What will we find if we dig deeper ;)
    • EGOL agrees
  29. Contributing User

As Dzine says it looks like you are using a few plugins.

It would be good to start disabling them one at a time and see, by process of elimination, if you can find if there is one conflicting with the Yoast settings.
    Last edited by zico82; Nov 11th, 2012 at 09:25 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: