1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Title Tag - Best Practices

Hi Guys,

Looking to create new title tags for an ecommerce based client currently we have received these two options from our agency.

The second option (title tags 2) bascially includes the keyword twice in the title tag, could this be seen as over-optimised?

Anyway keen to hear peoples thoughts.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Novatronic; Mar 27th, 2017 at 05:30 AM.
  3. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I would say #2 with just the middle section, no need to use your company name as it'll already be noticed by viewers who come to any page provided it's on every page either in the footer and a company logo which uses an alt tag using the name, and there is no reason to double down on the other key words.
    Last edited by Test-ok; Mar 26th, 2017 at 09:36 PM.
  5. No Profile Picture

I agree with Test-ok. Use just the middle part of second variant. Including extra keywords in title will not help you rank higher. But good title written for humans can increase CTR from search results. Websites with higher CTR gain higher rankings. So write titles and meta description with CTR in mind. Optimize other page content for keywords.
  7. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I don't like either option!

I agree with Test-ok about the website name & repeated keywords and I also agree that some of the second options are better, but when I look at others they contain no additional meaningful keywords, just "stop words".

"Shop for best body brushes online"... The only meaningful keywords there are: Shop & body brushes!
    "for", "best" and "online" are meaningless unless they are part of an exact match search, (who searches google for a product and adds "best" or "online")?

The Towels and Duvets titles are better as they both include additional keywords that may help ("bath" and "luxury" respectively) but the body brushes and bath soap titles don't.

I would be inclined to ask them to try again ;)
    ClickyB
    "The quality of the visitor is more important than the volume..." (Egol 22nd Feb 2008)
    [New to SEO/SeoChat?] [Canonical Problems?] [Forum Rules & Posting Guidelines]
  9. No Profile Picture

You should choose natural, descriptive words that will catch the customers attention. This will look natural and search engines will, therefore, credit you for it. Personally, I would not worry too much about 'stop words' in titles but as ClickyB said, it is better to use descriptive words.
  11. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I agree with Test-ok about using the option 2 when it comes to no need to use site name, and with ClickyB about his opinion regarding the Towels and Duvets title. I would use the 'Buy' instead of 'Shop' if it was me.
  13. SeoRaptor
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

I'll choose option 3

Middle part of option 2 rewritten to look better, remove brand (if it is not very known) and use has much possible of the 600px allowed for the title by Google (depending on the charcaters used it's round 65 to 70 chars)
    Owner of Bennetonable - "My opinions are my own - Feel free to disagree & think above the fold."
    Need a quick analysis > Free SEO grader Beta
  15. No Profile Picture

The second one is the correct form to create the title tag for the website. Just avoid the brand name in some of them. There is no issue if you include two keywords in title part.
  17. No Profile Picture

What your agency is trying to do is creating brand appearance along with using the titles of your products. The best practice however is to use the limited title tag space optimally by providing enticing information such as 40 % off on product name or Or "product name" is now upto 40% off, etc. This is most likely to increase your CTR instead of showing your brandname. Secondly, a good practice is to use the the company or brand name on static pages such as home, about us, contact us instead of the product pages.
  19. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I would start with your targeted keyword/keyword phrase, then a synonym and making sure your title has something that is enticing to make your potential customers click on your link vs your competition. As far as the Brand, if you are working on your brand awareness campaign, I would first wait till I get top ranking first, then if you have enough room, you could use your brand at the end. My experience is it is not easy to write a good and enticing title with the brand included due to Title pixel width limit of 600px.

I myself don't worry about including the brand except in the contact us page, sitemap, about us pages.

Comments on this post

• Prof.stan agrees
  21. No Profile Picture

Box 2 looks spammy of you ask me.