1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

A:title or link title. Is this important for SEO?

I have a page that has a number of sports teams listed and each sports team is a link to another page on my site where there is tickets to
    to that teams events.

For each team, i have it linked, but what would be the most appropriate link title and is a link title all that important for SEO?

sport team name: New York Yankees

A:title " MLB Baseball Tickets | New York Yankees | Company Name

Does that look okay?
  3. Contributing User

Yes, having titles is crucial for SEO, since they're the most important. As long as you include relevant keywords, you won't have trouble ranking better. And the title you suggested is completely fine (no personal suggestion to add, though).
  5. No Profile Picture

Title is important because you can optimized title according to targeted keyword.
    Not having the keyword in your title would be of no value for SEO purpose.
    Your title looks alright, try adding more words up to 70 words including spaces.
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Title attribute within an anchor tag like this <a href="/somepage.html" title="MLB Baseball Tickets | New York Yankees | Company Name">New York Yankees</a> is not important for SEO. It carries no weight in the search results and can look spammy if stuffed with keywords. It's meant to be used as an indicator of what the linked page offers but, really you should be able to make it clear with the surrounding text or the anchor itself.

The posts above are referring to your page title which is in the <title></title> tags, that is very important for SEO.

Comments on this post

• Will-O-The-Wisp agrees
    • Doodled agrees
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks ryandiscord. I would have to say i am quite worried then about keyword spamming.

Lets say i had a page for College Football and we know how many teams are in College Football , literally hundreds. Well all the teams are on this page and for each team name, the team name is linked to a single generic results page. the results page will be the same for all teams linking and in the future all teams will link to their own personal page with personal results.

If on this page there is hundreds of teams and for each link i put:

<a title="College Football Tickets | Alabama Crimson Tide | Company Name" href="http://domainname/results-general.html?stype=0&amp;kwds=Alabama%20Crimson%20 Tide" target="_self">Alabama Crimson Tide</a>

Would this be keyword stuffing or spamming as each title for each link will have the word Tickets twice as our company name has the word tickets in it also. Would i even need to do link titles as its linking to a general results page which pulls tickets from a database based on keywords in the url.
  11. Contributing User

I wouldn't use it at all. You're better off just making sure you are using good anchor text in the link.
  13. Contributing User

I would say you should use this. <a href="/somepage.html" title="Click to Buy New York Yankees MLB basketball tickets from Company Name here">New York Yankees</a>
    There aren't many solid evidences to show that link's title attribute contributes to better SEO. But it does contribute to better user experience and that contributes to Good SEO. People have no time to research and waste time on where a particular hyperlink will take them. So if you provide an accurate description of a call to action it gives you good karma. IMHO.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by envigodigital
    I would say you should use this. <a href="/somepage.html" title="Click to Buy New York Yankees MLB basketball tickets from Company Name here">New York Yankees</a>
    There aren't many solid evidences to show that link's title attribute contributes to better SEO. But it does contribute to better user experience and that contributes to Good SEO. People have no time to research and waste time on where a particular hyperlink will take them. So if you provide an accurate description of a call to action it gives you good karma. IMHO.
    Ok i see that, but the page will have over 100 teams all with links to the same results page so each link would have the hover title display "Click to Buy New York Yankees MLB basketball tickets from Company Name here" In the company name would also be the word tickets so im afraid that 100 hover titles will each have 2 instances of the word ticket so thats like 200 instances of the word ticket on one page.
  17. Contributing User

If you really see this as an opportunity to improve usability, maybe try reducing the repetition. Why does the company name have to be in there? Does it change per link? You could say "Available from Company A". If the link says "New York Yankees" why repeat it in the title?

I still think that if your users can't tell from your ticket result page, that clicking a link to a team name will bring them to a page about tickets for that team, then you should be spending your time on improving that page's content.

Comments on this post

• basslion agrees
  19. Contributing User

Originally Posted by basslion
    Ok i see that, but the page will have over 100 teams all with links to the same results page so each link would have the hover title display "Click to Buy New York Yankees MLB basketball tickets from Company Name here" In the company name would also be the word tickets so im afraid that 100 hover titles will each have 2 instances of the word ticket so thats like 200 instances of the word ticket on one page.
    No I don't think so. As long as it is user friendly, its OK. Even 100 links from one page is NOT ok in many cases. Simply because 100 links are confusion and hence not user friendly. Plus under no circumstance 100 links can be contextually relevant in all cases. It only dilutes information architecture. Having said all that, if are getting benefits out of those 100 links I am sure you will get benefits out of 100 full sentence call to actions.

Comments on this post

• basslion agrees
    • NewDelhiSEO agrees
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by ryandiscord
    If you really see this as an opportunity to improve usability, maybe try reducing the repetition. Why does the company name have to be in there? Does it change per link? You could say "Available from Company A". If the link says "New York Yankees" why repeat it in the title?

I still think that if your users can't tell from your ticket result page, that clicking a link to a team name will bring them to a page about tickets for that team, then you should be spending your time on improving that page's content.
    Point taken and i think im going to just go with out the link title's. Like you said they offer no real SEO value and the anchor text itself is quite self explanatory so users wont be confused as to what the link is.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I agree 100 links is probably not good for one page, but under the circumstances it has to be done. Its like a store webpage with a category page with 100 products in a listing so to speak. I think refraining from including link titles will not affect the user experience and will err on the side of caution when it comes to SEO and keyword spamming. Better be safe than sorry i think. Thanks for all the help, really opens my eyes to link titles and what they are all about.