Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Tips for email marketing

I want to do email marketing for my new business.

so

Can any one tell me some beneficial tips for email marketing?
  3. Rebel Without a Clue
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

If you're marketing to your own lists that you've compiled through your site, you've a much higher chance of results. Bought-in lists can bring in open figures in single figures.

If you're buying in lists, make sure the customers have opted in (if they're consumers), and secondly, make sure the lists are as highly targeted as you can get otherwise you're throwing money away.

Consider contacting similar (but not competing) businesses to see if you can come to an agreement over their lists, that's worked best for us after using our own database.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

It all starts with a catchy subject.

Something upbeat in a positive mood like "You are surely going to love this."
  7. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I think it's a big waste of time, some people swear it brings in business otherwise that wouldn't have, and I don't doubt it, but you better be good at it, I never thought it was worth the time and BS you'd have to deal with...many pissed off people getting email spam, getting put spam lists, unless maybe your planning on hiring a company to do it for ya.

I personally don't like other people telling me what I need to buy, I can search the internet and find what ever I need and I usually look at the sites on the first page, which is why I would rather work on the SEO portion of a site rather than soliciting everyone through an email campaign. But thats just me.
    Good luck.
  9. Rebel Without a Clue

Originally Posted by Test-ok
    I think it's a big waste of time, some people swear it brings in business otherwise that wouldn't have, and I don't doubt it, but you better be good at it, I never thought it was worth the time and BS you'd have to deal with...many pissed off people getting email spam, getting put spam lists, unless maybe your planning on hiring a company to do it for ya.

I personally don't like other people telling me what I need to buy, I can search the internet and find what ever I need and I usually look at the sites on the first page, which is why I would rather work on the SEO portion of a site rather than soliciting everyone through an email campaign. But thats just me.
    Good luck.
    Communication is key for us in a business where customers make repeat purchases and show a great degree of loyalty. In fact we've just recently had a comment from one customer on our Facebook page telling us off for not informing her sooner of a particular break as she's made alternate plans...

We always have a surge of bookings when we email to our own email list, a database of previous customers and those who've signed up to our newsletter or forum. We don't abuse this but ensure the emails are spaced out enough to inform but not annoy, include real updates and often an offer.

It's cheaper to retain a customer than to find a new one and email marketing plays a key part in this for us (moreso than SEO), but as with all these things, different techniques work differently for different businesses, the proof is in the pudding...

Comments on this post

• Test-ok agrees
    • DarrenHaye agrees : Good points.
  11. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Your technique is the right way.
    There you have the difference of marketing to an audience thats want's it as opposed to 99 percent who try and get new business by spamming.
    your a rarity.

But the original question is about a new business.

Comments on this post

• DarrenHaye agrees : Yeah, big difference between sending out blind emails vs existing customers.
    Last edited by Test-ok; Sep 11th, 2012 at 06:14 PM.
  13. Rebel Without a Clue

Originally Posted by Test-ok
    Your technique is the right way.
    There you have the difference of marketing to an audience thats want's it as opposed to 99 percent who try and get new business by spamming.
    your a rarity.

But the original question is about a new business.
    Any consumer email list should only include those who've opted in to be contacted by other companies offering services they're interested in. The problem is there are too many email marketing companies offering dud lists. We did try renting a list once, the first 10,000 emails were very targeted (single parents in a given area with children of a certain age and interested in holidays), however the agency topped up the next 20k with all kinds of addresses - and we were inundated with replies from folk telling us they were neither parents or single. We refused to pay for the list and haven't gone down that route since although have considered using a list from a non-competing business with a very similar audience profile.

As with all things it comes down to ROI - and email marketing to new lists typically has average open rates from non customers often in single figures, conversions even fewer. I'm sure it must work for some otherwise the industry wouldn't exist but there are a lot of alternate ways of attracting customers that have higher success rates.

Comments on this post

• terriwells agrees : Good information here.
  15. No Profile Picture

I agree, there are lots of other ways to promote one's business or website like social media seo, ppc etc, but email is the best and very old way of marketing and it is quite effective.
    Last edited by billiejoe; Sep 18th, 2012 at 01:29 AM.
  17. Contributing User

We use a system that takes customer emails so we can provide receipts and tracking numbers to our customers. (we are an online retailer) At this point we know that the emails we have accumulated are relevant to our product. Marketing research shows (I'm sorry that I don't have a link to this one) that people around the 30 year old and up age group actually convert well in email marketing. When you purchase an email list the ROI is usually slim, it's like cold sales calls, 100 calls turns into maybe 3-5 incremental sales, but if you make 100 calls to 100 loyal customers you can convert %15-%30. You could try having a newsletter with promotions in it and give customers the option to opt-in for newsletters and promotions at the time of purchase, just be sure that your email blast isn't your average "blah blah spam give me money blah" that is common these days. If you spend the right time and money it can be very worthwhile, but if you rush through it and conduct no research then it will almost definitely crash and cost you thousands.
  19. No Profile Picture

I collect email addresses and contact info of web visitors WITH THEIR PERMISSION. This can be done by using lead capture forms on your website and then automatically storing the email addresses in a database. Email autoresponders like Aweber and Getresponse can get this job easily.

Another great option (and one that I prefer) is using an SMTP bulk mailing software that can send messages to thousands of inboxes and subscribers ethically. The one that I use is Imailunlimited that can send emails from multiple domains so you can get past spam filters.

All in all, email marketing is still a viable option for promoting your business. You just need to use the right tools. ;)
    Last edited by sean.mitton; Sep 30th, 2012 at 09:03 AM.
  21. No Profile Picture

Can any one tell me some beneficial tips for email marketing?

Following are some of the tips that are quite beneficial in E-mail Marketing:

1.Make Sure Your Email Has Obvious Links
    2.Minimize Your Use of Images
    3.Follow Spam Tips every Time You Send Email
    4.Keep Your Email List Clean
    5.Keep Your Text Short and Easy to Scan
    6.Send Test Emails before Sending to Main List
  23. No Profile Picture

Always use highly updated list otherwise you will waste your time.
  25. No Profile Picture

Email marketing is affective if and only if when you target the perfect segment as per your business.. Sending emails in bulk having no return but the waste of time
  27. No Profile Picture

Sending emails in bulk having no return but the waste of time
  29. No Profile Picture

thank for share this tips.....\
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: