1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

thinking smaller on keywords?

ive been trying to get my keywords mastered for the last little while now.
    In doing, so ive notice (for wordpress) at least that having your keywords in every single image seems to have a huge effect on position.
    having said that i still cant rank in my large city above page 3 ...but ive been thinking.
    ive started doing a number of blog articles which are subdivision related.
    for example... because i cant get London due to all the competition, then i started using picadilly, camden, chelsea, waterloo etc. With this combined with 'landscaping', ive started ranking in the top ten for nearly all of the keywords ie 'camden landscaping, camden landscape design(first place for at least half).

Would this help me to get better rankings for the 'city' keyword. or would it cause me to show up if someone just typed in 'landscaping' and they lived in a house in say Camden.

just a thought
  3. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Google often attempt to show local services to the user so yes if they are based in camden then you could find yourself being listed.
    You just need to be careful not to over do it, creating / targeting geo locations other than your own is against google guidlines so be careful how many areas you go after.

Just so you understand, the competition for camden landscaping is a lot lower than london landscaping which is why you have found it a lot easier to rank, However a lot fewer people will search as well so dont expect your traffic to go mad because you are page 1 for these low hanging fruit words.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Statistics: SEM Rush | Site Crawler: Screaming Frog
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Understood and thanks Cheddars,
    Im only doing geo-location keywords when creating articles about a landscape reno i have done in that area. And im still not managing to figure out why im unable to increase my rankings for the overall city. Drawing a blank there, hence why i thought ide get more responses for low hanging fruit than waiting for some one to reach down into the bottom of the previable 'google' basket (page 3 or 4).
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I certainly can't speak for the UK, but in the US, i've had some luck with client sites by having them join local organizations for local businesses in the big cities they want to target. As an example many cities have a "Area Chamber of Commerce" that small businesses in the community can join. Most of them will provide a link from their website to their member's sites. Doing things like this has helped me gain some rank for the client, even though their physical location isn't in the big city.

As Chedder's said though, be careful... the days of creating city-specific pages seem to be at an end

GL to you, and please share things you try and if they work or not as a TON of people have questions and issues doing SEO for a service area .

Comments on this post

• Will-O-The-Wisp agrees
    "Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
    -Albert Einstein