1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Is this statement true or false? What do you think?

"The most powerful incoming link we can ever hope to achieve
    the link that is going to have the most positive impact on our own
    search engine rankings - will come from the #1 ranked website for
    that keyword term."

On some level it sounds right but the more I think about it, it doesn't make sense. First of all if I want to rank for 'keyword A' why would anybody that already has a #1 ranking for 'keyword A' give me a backlink. Secondly it doesn't seem to make sense from a Google/relevance perspective because a webpage ranked for 'keyword A' linking to another webpage also ranked for 'keyword A' seems pointless and not very relevant for the visitor. There is no added value for the visitor because both webpage are about the same subject.
  3. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

False (generally)

There are some situation where that could be true but generally it isn't. There could be many many links (e.g one from the home page of Wikipedia) that will be incredibly valuable that don't use your targeted keyword, or anything related to it, but still have enough metric value of link weight that it is highly valuable.

Furthermore, if you are targeting say PPC and you get a link from a website that ranks number one for SEM but doesn't talk directly about PPC (on the page that the link is coming from) it would still be highly valuable to your general topic but not directly related.

Comments on this post

• fathom agrees
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks for your response. Its not exactly what I meant. Lets say you have a webpage you want to rank for 'Keyword A' but you only get the pick one link regardless if its not likely you would get that link, which link would be the most valuable in terms of improving your ranking for that page.
  7. No Profile Picture

I believe what they are saying is correct, but I agree with your statement as in who would ever do that. It doesn't make sense for anyone to do it. I think that's why the statement says "hopes to achieve". I don't think many people would try to get that link to begin with because of the reasons you indicate. As well as it seems highly unlikely they would want to link with you to begin with. I think the main point of the statement is just to try to make your backlinks come from relevant sources that are related to the keywords you want to rank for. The better and more relevant the backlink, the better the link equity.
  9. No Profile Picture

Thanks for your response Mike! Anybody else agree of disagree?
  11. justanotherseoguy
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

unless it's a redirect, lol
    a page may be ranking #1 for so many reasons. it may be due to its PR, or due to it having relevant backlinks, or due to its internal anchor text, etc.
    Let's say, in the best-case scenario, even if you get one link from that page... I doubt that Google will look at it and think:
    'sweet, this page has a link from the page we ranked #1 for the same search term last time'
    such signal just doesn't exist
  13. No Profile Picture

Thanks Sparks, anybody else?
  15. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Here's the paradox in that statement.

If any website is powered to #1 by unnatural means it suggests that their ranks are equally unnatural which suggests any benefit from such a development is equally problematic. If they lose their unnatural linking value - so will you.

On the other hand, let's say that the #1 ranking results are delivered by natural means. That suggest external link anchors had no genuine impact on the results - the links merely provided juice and it was the on-page attributes and internal navigation provided the missing ranking values... that generally will not provide any real ranking merits to you only the link juice and if your own on-page attributes and internal navigation do not support your missing ranking values - you will indeed have a linking lemon.