1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Srape and translate

HI there

If you want to have a large site that sells many "thousands of products" could you set up an ecommerce site by scraping and translating a simlair site
    that sells the same products but that is from a different country/language?

The point would be to generate the correct categories and linked products without having to start your product /category file from scratch

The descriptions would be different as the scrape would translate them from say German to Spanish.

You could spend a day or 2 tidying it up before updating the data to your own site.

would this short cut work?

any thoughts appreciated !
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

If it was really that simple everyone would be doing it.

Maybe Chedders and Thomas Harvey will chime in here. They created a site called zebo.co.uk. It is a website they created with duplicated content from the net. They can give you a few pointers on this .....

I linked the site so you could easily examine it. Go visit it and examine it.
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Thanks. By chance i had viewed this site yesterday, same sort of idea but I would be hopefully supplying the goods so as to make more profit
  7. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

So this is something I'd actually been thinking about as an affiliate site, I personally enjoy projects where products aren't involved as it's usually a simple project.

The original question you asked, yes I suppose it would work, however the reason I've not approached it properly is as follows:

• Assessing Quality - It is very difficult to assess the quality of the translation because you wouldn't be able to know if the language reads well to a native
    • Quantity - Majority of the time you'd be using software to do this, and there's usually a reasonable cost to doing this
    • Written Quality - Software does not produce the best translations.
    • Impacted conversion - If you're not able to translate or categorise properly, then you're not able to convert properly.

However, when done correctly there is a possibility that this can work. So take Zebo for example, we took content from eBay and Amazon (and a variety of other places) if we were to take a few basic searches in other languages and use those to search eBay Germany and Amazon Germany, there wouldn't be any issue as they've been written by someone in their own native language. However if I were in the UK and wanted to do the same, so take eBay UK and Amazon UK and use Google to translate, it may not meet the users expectation when they land on the page.

It would also depend heavily on your niche, if it's a very tech orientated area, then there's a lot of acronyms that may not translate over or even be used in other areas.
    Always happy to help in private message. | Learn about my latest project Can You Get Automated Pages To Rank In Google?
    Useful Links: Useful SEO Tools | GTmetrix | FileOptimizer | Cloudflare