1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Split a good reputation website

Good morning to all contributors,

Our business has growned. Years ago we were only offering a specific service. Overtime, we added new services and also products so we are diversifying.

Our main and only website which has a very high reputation now needs to be split and I am wondering what would be the best way to do it.

I am seeking advises from the professional here.

Obvious way would be to create a completely separated website and make permanent redirect but I am also wondering if the subdomain way would be better.

If ever I create a subdomain (new-business-name.oldsite.com), would it be a good strategy and if so, is it possible and is it a good idea to create a permanent redirect of the newly acquired domain name to the subdomain site?

If this is possible, if ever clients type in my business name, would they see the subdomain URL or the new website domain in their address bar? Ultimately my goal would be for users to see newdomainname URL even if site is physically standing on a subdomain of our main site.

I am sure many would suggest to keep one main site but this was well thought. My wife is a musician for special events and over the years we opened a music store and school. Now the site is more focused on the store/school and we would definitely need to separate the musician from the store/school.

Thank you very much in advance for your help with this.
    Bob
    Last edited by unreal2me; Feb 24th, 2018 at 11:08 AM.
  3. SeoRaptor
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

If this is possible, if ever clients type in my business name, would they see the subdomain URL or the new website domain in their address bar? Ultimately my goal would be for users to see newdomainname URL even if site is physically standing on a subdomain of our main site.
    Yes you can just just point the newdomain URL to your actual domain subfolder you want to use as a subdomain. But you might as well use a subfolder for the school. eg olddomain.com/school
    Owner of Bennetonable | AdWords certified - Analytics qualified
    On-Page SEO Cheat Sheet | "My opinions are my own. Feel free to disagree & think above the fold."