1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Spammy backlinks

Hi All,

I've had some great suggestions recently on here but some of the recent ones have left me a little confused.

Firstly, one of the suggestions is that I need to do some work on spammy backlinks to my site.... and have a few questions about this.

1. I have never paid or applied for the said spammy links so who has? a competitor trying to lower my google ranking?

2. Some of the examples of bad links given by users of this site don't seem to show up on google webmaster tools as links to my site, so does this mean google has already filtered the spammy links out?

3. Just how reliable is it to use just webmaster tools to view links to my site? is there a better tool I should use?

4. Is google disavow the best way to remove spammy links?, is there a better way?

Thanks for your help.
  3. Entrepreneur
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

Yes disavow is the good way to deal with it and Google webmaster don't show all backlinks you should buy some other tools. I have used ahref and LRT that are fine you should buy one better backlink research tool.
    It is hard me to say that if your competitors will generate bad backlinks then it will effect bad for your organic search or not.

But I think it differently why competitors will spend their time and money on it if they know how SEO works than they will work for their site, so by this they will be on top slot and they will not be worry about your site.
    You do your business I do mine because you are you and I am I If we meet it is nice.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Your website has some spam, but not a lot. When we are talking about spammy links it's not always bad. When people see spammy links they already jump to conclusion that is bad and you have to use disavow tools to block those links as soon as possible.

What I would say is this: If your website hasn't received any drop in rankings or traffic lost just leave it alone.

2. Google knows all of your links, but if your website is strong enough Google can tell that someone wants to take you down and will dismiss those spammy links like nothing ever happened (of course everything has its limits),

I can tell you that this negative SEO will not work very well for websites that are already ranking for competitive keywords (top 3 results for given keyword). but with new sites on the other hand, it's a different story.

3. I always compare results from couple different tools (you can use Majestic is effective and simple), Webmasters Tools included.

4. You can remove links by asking the owner of the website that link is placed to remove it. The second option would be to use Google Disavow Tool - which basically tells Google that 'I don't want anything to do with that link anymore'

I hope that answers you questions.

Comments on this post

• Prof.stan agrees : your answer are more descriptive than mine :)
  7. No Profile Picture

Disavow tool can help out from this issue. with this tool you can remove all bad or spam back links from your website.
  9. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Before using the disavow tool figure out the difference of a bad link as far as a good link.

Comments on this post

• Prof.stan agrees : valid point
  11. Entrepreneur
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

Test-ok is spot on. so you can check your backlinks profile by following methods
    • Too many links from the same domain
    • Spam domain extensions such as .info / .co / .cc
    • On low-quality sites (low PR/DA)
    • Exact anchors
    • Over-optimized exact anchors
    • Low domain authority
    • Links from same C class IP
    • Links from poor directories

There are much more you would need to filter out your backlinks profile first as per your best understand. Once you determine for your bad backlinks then go for link disavow.
    Remember you would need to do index you bad backlinks because I am sure most of the bad backlinks have been deindexed on Google and if you don't do this then you will not get any advantage for disavowing anymore.

There is similar thread is also available at Disavowing directory backlinks
    You should read this that will help.