1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Some SEO Questions from a newbie...

Hello All!

Was wondering if somebody could help answer some of these questions for me. I've done my own little 'crash course' into SEO and Internet Marketing this week. I'm confident (ish) on most areas, but have stumbled on some questions which I need to clarify. (Sorry if some of these sound stupid) but here goes :

1. Do Follow and No Follow Links - I know how to see if a website is 'Do follow' or 'No follow' but when gaining backlinks, do I always have to type in either the 'do follow' or 'no follow' code followed by the backlink? For every backlink? I know I should do this for my own blog, and for other blog comments, but what about article directories, guest blogging, directories etc?

2.) I understand that in theory, posting on 'do follow' Auto approved blogs isn't good because it will probably be hit by scam. However, it I wrote some quality comments related to the niche and added a backlink to my own blog instead of my main page, would this be ok?

3.) How do I make my own personal blog, non- auto approved and no follow? Is it by installing the plugin Akismet?

4.) I'm currently having a website built, and I'm currently looking at Plugin's for my WordPress blog. . My web designer hasn't mentioned if he is going to install any Social Media plugin's.for my blog. However on the blog page, he has included most of the social media links at the top. Do I still need to install a social media plugin, or can it be done manually without a special plugin(I'm abit worried as my designer doesn't seem to know much about these plugin's but has added these links for me anyway??

I appreciate your thoughts and comments.
  3. Philip@SearchBenefit.com
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by Alison29
    1. Do Follow and No Follow Links - I know how to see if a website is 'Do follow' or 'No follow' but when gaining backlinks, do I always have to type in either the 'do follow' or 'no follow' code followed by the backlink? For every backlink? I know I should do this for my own blog, and for other blog comments, but what about article directories, guest blogging, directories etc?
    No, there are various ways of making links nofollow, and you may not notice some nofollows without deep digging. I think your best option is to download the SEOmoz toolbar, it's free. It highlights nofollow links. It is not perfect works better for this than other similar plugins.

2.) I understand that in theory, posting on 'do follow' Auto approved blogs isn't good because it will probably be hit by scam. However, it I wrote some quality comments related to the niche and added a backlink to my own blog instead of my main page, would this be ok?
    No. Drop traditional linkbuilding altogether, especially if you are not an SEO. As of 2012 it does not work and can actually hurt you badly.
    Last edited by PhilipSEO; Nov 28th, 2012 at 09:49 AM.
  5. No Profile Picture

Thank you for your reply Philip. What are posting on 'no follow' blogs which are related to my niche, and adding a link there. I would only do this on a few blogs which I feel I could value to, and my comments would be appreicated. Would you consider this a no-no also?

Many thanks
  7. Philip@SearchBenefit.com
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by Alison29
    Thank you for your reply Philip. What are posting on 'no follow' blogs which are related to my niche, and adding a link there. I would only do this on a few blogs which I feel I could value to, and my comments would be appreicated. Would you consider this a no-no also?

Many thanks
    No, any links to your site that are no follow should be perfectly safe. They won't help your SEO, but they may bring you some relevant traffic.

Genuine comments with dofollow links are also fine. Just don't overdo it, and don't use keywords in the links (your brand or your domain name is fine).
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by PhilipSEO
    No, any links to your site that are no follow should be perfectly safe. They won't help your SEO, but they may bring you some relevant traffic.

Genuine comments with dofollow links are also fine. Just don't overdo it, and don't use keywords in the links (your brand or your domain name is fine).
    Thank you again. So, to clarify I am right in thinking that manual approved do follow blogs are ok to post on, rather than the auto approved ones?

Also, would you suggest using a private proxy for comments and such. (Just incase of Akismet).

Thank you!
  11. No Profile Picture

Do follow and No follow is really interesting point because every person firstly should know about link quality.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

No, for dofollow sites you should not do that. Auto-approved dofollow sites and niche content writing is not same thing dude, this has vast difference. You can get the options of making the comment manual approval. If you own a wordpress blog you will get it by default.