1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Social Media and Keywords for SEO

Does using keywords within a Social Media profile (especially Facebook and LinkedIn) help improve rankings in the Serps? Specifically Facebook Page names and usernames e.g www.facebook.com/keyword ? Would you advise using a keyword in the Facebook URL or just the business name? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by dzine; Apr 7th, 2013 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Please unlink example URLs in your future posts. Thank you
  3. My views are my own ;)
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Well, there are really a few questions in one
    Does using keywords within a Social Media profile (especially Facebook and LinkedIn) help improve rankings in the Serps?
    A social media profile is like any web page: Having keywords there helps... It makes sense to craft a good short description (that mentions what you do and thus may include the keyword)...
    A better question is, why would you care much? A social media profile is impossible to rank for a competitive keyword and even if you manage, it's lost battle because it's a poor landing page for that traffic anyway...

The only keyword worth ranking for, when it comes to social media profiles, is your brand name (to own another spot for your brand navigational searches)... which brings us to your next question:

Would you advise using a keyword in the Facebook URL or just the business name? Thanks in advance.
    Please see above; I'd recommend using your brand name there

Comments on this post

• Shobhit Saxena agrees : Aditionally the links of the profile are not landing to your business sites.
    Everything will be ok in the end

If it's not ok, it's not the end
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks Ann for your quick reply; it has been very helpful. Just wondering if it is worth trying to rank for less competitive keywords, the same ones you'd target with a new website?
  7. No Profile Picture

Its help you to increase your traffic for a long term and your keyword also rank up.The main benefit of social media is that you get a backlink that can't be removed by any moderator.So your page rank also rise with that backlink.
  9. No Profile Picture

Hey There, Its true that Keywords used in Social Media Profiles are really effective. But make sure that you are using relevant keywords. When you are creating Fan pages on Social Media sites, while writing description or Bio it should be well optimized with targeted keywords.

This thing will help you to generate traffic.
    Hope this information will helpful.
  11. No Profile Picture

it only helps to attract more traffic or get connected and using keyword will not work to increase ranking in SERP.
  13. My views are my own ;)
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by Social4biz.com
    Thanks Ann for your quick reply; it has been very helpful. Just wondering if it is worth trying to rank for less competitive keywords, the same ones you'd target with a new website?
    Like I said, I think it's a poor landing page for traffic (mostly). I find social media profiles very hard to convert to the main site... However that spot can be good for branding (people landing there will at least remember your name, logo, etc), so if you think you can do that without wasting too much time and resources, why not? I wouldn't invest time into that though...
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

As per my idea and experience, you should have your own name fb profile or linkedin. Dont use keywords in username but you can use your business name.it looks spammy when u use keywords in username.
  17. No Profile Picture

Social Media is help to promote your business or website, not help to getting backlinks. If you target your keywords in your Social website use it about us or introduction section. I am not sure but may it is help to improve traffic your website not getting any backlinks.