• less than it is now
    0%
  • social media is a fad and will go away soon
    0%

Thread: Social Media

1. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Social Media

How much attention are you guys paying to Social Media and what do you think the roles of Facebook, Twitter, 4 Square and so on will have on future search habits of the masses?

Is it a product that you sell to clients or is your service all inclusive?
    Last edited by KernelPanic; Oct 7th, 2010 at 11:48 AM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    How much attention are you guys paying to Social Media and what do you think the roles of Facebook, Twitter, 4 Square and so on will have on future search habits of the masses?
    We're trying to get our clients to use it as much as we can and we're already seeing results. The referrals are actually coming in from facebook rather than traditional forms of marketing. Right now I'd say we've been telling people to use around 10% of their marketing budget/time on social media but I'm sure that will grow later on.
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

Still depends on the industry you're in.

Something that people buy frequently, it is more important to have a strong social appearance.

Something people only buy once every few years or more, I think it becomes much less important.

And this makes perfect sense - something you buy often is rather common - so it is talked about more commonly. Someone who buys new wood floors talks about it when it happens, but doesn't talk much about it after the fact - because it is no longer new.

And as always - if the company involved can't keep up with a social outlet - then they do not need to enter that arena. Having a twice-used profile looks like you're just behind the times and trying to play with the big boys. Having an empty or non-existent profile is more likely to be interpreted as "we don't have one because we don't need/want one".

I can see how G would want to include some social aspects into an algorithm, but I'm thinking these types of results would play more into news article-type listings that we see now, and slowly growing towards incorporation to organic results (but see this as long term, possibly 3-5 years out).

Comments on this post

• KernelPanic agrees : thanks for sharing
  7. Digital Marketing

Makes sense. I agree that if you are going to dive in, you have to keep current on it. My biggest concern is that 'likes' or similar will be incorporated into the algorithm in the future and we will be left trying to play catch up.
  9. No Profile Picture

Facebook alone got 500 million users, off course it shouldn't be neglected by anyone serious trying to bring traffic to their website.
    I see people often say that facebook is not good for PR or backlink building technique, but consider this, you get 1000 people every day from fb to your site. If 1% of them share your link on other site, blog or anything-there you go. 100 backlinks.
    It all really depends on content your site is offering, and what marketing strategy you are using on social media, but overall, i think it plays big part in seo.
  11. Broke Poker pro

Originally Posted by nedox
    Facebook alone got 500 million users, off course it shouldn't be neglected by anyone serious trying to bring traffic to their website.
    I see people often say that facebook is not good for PR or backlink building technique, but consider this, you get 1000 people every day from fb to your site. If 1% of them share your link on other site, blog or anything-there you go. 100 backlinks.
    It all really depends on content your site is offering, and what marketing strategy you are using on social media, but overall, i think it plays big part in seo.
    I think your algorithm is a bit flawed there because of those 1000 people, not all of them would have a website or blog of their own, maybe 5%. And of those 5% maybe 1% would link back, if they thought it worthy, so your backlink acquisition is a lot lower.

According to http://www.facebook.com/marketing average ctr on facebook ads is around 0.02% but lets say for arguments sake that for links in facebook streams from fan pages its 0.05 (thats 1 click for every 2000 impresssions or views)

You would need to be advertising to a group of 200 000 users or fans to get 1000 clicks.

and those 1000 clicks would only, at best, yield maybe 50 or so website owners or bloggers of whom maybe 2 or 3 of them would link to you.

Even if you got 10 backlinks from those numbers, your fan stream would need to consist of around 2 million people if you wanted 100 backlinks and if I had 2million people on my fan page, I would be a frikkin millionaire by simply asking those 2 million fans for a $10 donation to the RRF. (the Rush Retirement Fund)

It would be a for a really good cause.
    So for me, social media has little offering in the way of link building, but great for brand awareness I think. By all means, use it to get traffic but you wont get too many backlinks.

my 2 cents

Comments on this post

• jsteele823 agrees : brand awareness...
    • KernelPanic agrees : /me nods
  13. Digital Marketing

My 1 cent: I am being forced into the social media marketing scene by my clients who are bombarded daily by the publicity surrounding the industry. It's tough because if I say, no, I really don't see a +ROI for you, they will go hire someone else. I discuss the benefits, tell them what I think they will get out of it as honestly as I know how and go from there.

So... you can teach an old dog new tricks
  15. Broke Poker pro

it's SOCIAL media, how are people meant to socialize with a product that is non social?

You could always try a bit of rebranding and give the product or service a personaility or persona that would interacct with people on the social level.

For instance, the camel used on campaigns for well known cigarettes Camel, is known as Joe Camel
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Camel

It's a persona that would work well in today's social media times:

i.e.
    on facebook:

Joe Camel is going to be at Spring Break next month giving away free boxes of camel cigarettes to kids!

or on twitter

RT @Joe_camel foook, I coughed up a lung this morning ahh I <3 my #camels
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I agree with a lot of what's been said already. I believe one point has been missed and that's customer service.

Along with all brand awareness and connecting with your customers you can provide an additional platform to service your customers on a level in which they may feel more comfortable. Last week I had someone on twitter mention our brand and there was a problem with the ordering in which the customer wanted to do.

I contacted the customer through twitter and then got email contact and forwarded his problem to the relevant department. People sometimes feel comfortable telling others that are 'friends' or 'followers' what they feel about something.

I just thought it was great that I could help this customer out without him having to send me or anyone else a direct message and a simple mention got the job done. Therefore saving an order worth a decent amount of money - and hopefully he'll be pleased with the service.