Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:
    #16
  1. No Profile Picture
    Banned
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    24
    Rep Power
    0
    KernelPanic I found it, the site was hit by penguin 2.0 in May 2013 and never recovered. But its been 4 years now, do you think they havent lifted the penalty still? :O
  2. #17
  3. No Profile Picture
    Newbie
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    0
    Hello Friend can I know the name of your site and the keyword you are talking about. I think it has to be with the overall authority sites.
  4. #18
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    55
    Rep Power
    10
    Originally Posted by carleasing
    Cant post the URL here but I could send it by PM if thats ok?
    Go for it
  6. #19
  7. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    7,109
    Rep Power
    4526
    Originally Posted by carleasing
    KernelPanic I found it, the site was hit by penguin 2.0 in May 2013 and never recovered. But its been 4 years now, do you think they havent lifted the penalty still? :O
    Yeah that's what I said If all the links are still there the problem will remain. Don't think of it as a penalty though, Penguin is an algorithm that you're not meeting the requirements of because of the spam. Remove the spam to appease the algorithm
  8. #20
  9. No Profile Picture
    Banned
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    24
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    Yeah that's what I said If all the links are still there the problem will remain. Don't think of it as a penalty though, Penguin is an algorithm that you're not meeting the requirements of because of the spam. Remove the spam to appease the algorithm
    I thought Google ignores all spam links now? Do I still have to disavow all crappy links?
  10. #21
  11. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    162
    Rep Power
    212
    Originally Posted by carleasing
    I thought Google ignores all spam links now? Do I still have to disavow all crappy links?
    Yes, absolutely. Especially if you've been hit.

    This explains it in way more detail - https://moz.com/blog/do-we-still-nee...isavow-penguin
  12. #22
  13. No Profile Picture
    Banned
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    24
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by IvanDrago
    Yes, absolutely. Especially if you've been hit.

    This explains it in way more detail - https://moz.com/blog/do-we-still-nee...isavow-penguin
    Thanks ...I checked that and yeah I have started the removal process. Lets see if that makes any difference.

    Also about sitewide links from other of our websites, google shows about 600,000 links lol...yeah I'll remove most of them now.
  14. #23
  15. No Profile Picture
    Banned
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    24
    Rep Power
    0
    I'll remove all the links that we control from other branded sites...but we have hundreds of thousands of links from other sources which obviously we dont control so we decided to just remove what we could and see if that makes a difference. If nothing happens then we'll move the site to a new domain and start from scratch...would require more work but I am pretty sure I could get the site to page one within a couple of months.

    Ok we have a domain that we want to use but this domain is a 301 to the old penalized domain. Would it be safe to use this new domain for the main business site? would that have any negative effect?
  16. #24
  17. No Profile Picture

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    0
    I think it will surely effect that website after a point of time. This is not a white hat technique.
  18. #25
  19. No Profile Picture
    Banned
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    24
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by Ashleyjohn
    I think it will surely effect that website after a point of time. This is not a white hat technique.
    Not a white hat technique? its just an unused domain name that is pointing 301 to the old domain that is penalised...I want to remove that 301 and create a new website on that?
  20. #26
  21. No Profile Picture

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    0
    I told about what your competitor has done. That's not a best practice.
  22. #27
  23. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    7,109
    Rep Power
    4526
    Originally Posted by Ashleyjohn
    I told about what your competitor has done. That's not a best practice.
    Hi AhsleyJohn, welcome to the forums! I don't understand why using an old domain to build a website on is not an acceptable practice?
  24. #28
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    917
    Rep Power
    2174
    Originally Posted by carleasing
    Ok we have a domain that we want to use but this domain is a 301 to the old penalized domain. Would it be safe to use this new domain for the main business site? would that have any negative effect?
    If any of the bad backlinks are coming from the old 301'd unused domain to the current penalized domain, you cancel the 301, then those links will still be pointing to the old unused domain and you could be back at square one.

    It would be wise to check and make sure none of the links are coming from that domain ahead of time before you make that move.

    Comments on this post

    • Prof.stan agrees
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:

Similar Threads

  1. In 2017 what Off Page techniques are working for Bing Search Engine rankings?
    By martinkane in forum New User SEO Questions and Answers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: May 16th, 2017, 07:59 AM
  2. Destroying dodgy backlinks
    By Tommy N in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Oct 16th, 2011, 03:32 AM
  3. What do you think of dodgy SEO like this?
    By craigvn in forum Search Engine Optimization
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Feb 28th, 2007, 05:45 PM
  4. Intel Working on Rootkit Detection Techniques (PC World)
    By RSS_News_User in forum Technology News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Dec 7th, 2005, 09:02 PM

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo