Thread: Small Tool

1. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Small Tool

Most weeks I get asked to look at someone's site despite me telling them I am no expert on SEO. Maybe I should take it up LOL

I tend to look at onsite elements and don't get involved too much with off site stuff although this is often the area that would gain them the most benefit.

I know there is a whole host of different tools out there for analyzing onsite attributes before I get blasted and maybe I could spend my time better. However I had a couple of evenings free so knocked up a small tool for looking at peoples sites.

I may expand it further yet but if its of use to anyone then its free and your more than welcome to use it.
    Tool can be found at here

Anything I have missed that people would like included feel free to drop me a line. The same goes for any errors found, I know there are a couple of bugs currently.

If this breaks any rules of the site as I know they offer some great tools here please feel free to delete this thread
    Just thought it may help some people starting out.
    Last edited by Chedders; Oct 21st, 2015 at 07:08 PM.
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Hello Chedders.

I love seeing tools that are out there, and in the past i've used a ton, but most focused on analyzing competitors inbound links and what not. I tried your tool but got the following error

Server Error in '/' Application.

Error whilst reading data: Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.ApplicationException: Error whilst reading data: Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.

Source Error:

Line 112: }
    Line 113:
    Line 114: var whois = new WhoisLookup().Lookup(new Uri(theurl).Host.ToLower().Replace("www.",""));
    Line 115:
    Line 116: Literal3.Text += whois.ToString().Replace("\r\n","<br>");

Source File: d:\websitesSERVER1\chedgzoy\tools.aspx.cs Line: 114

Stack Trace:

[ApplicationException: Error whilst reading data: Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.]
    Whois.TcpReader.Response() in c:\Users\Chris\Dropbox\source\whois\Whois\TcpReade r.cs:75
    Whois.TcpReader.Read(String url, Int32 port, String command) in c:\Users\Chris\Dropbox\source\whois\Whois\TcpReade r.cs:122
    Whois.Visitors.DownloadSecondaryServerVisitor.Visi t(WhoisRecord record) in c:\Users\Chris\Dropbox\source\whois\Whois\Visitors \DownloadSecondaryServerVisitor.cs:62
    Whois.WhoisLookup.Lookup(String domain) in c:\Users\Chris\Dropbox\source\whois\Whois\WhoisLoo kup.cs:84
    tools.Button1_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in d:\websitesSERVER1\chedgzoy\tools.aspx.cs:114
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEven t(String eventArgument) +155
    System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +3804

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.34249
  5. Dinosaur

Looks like a invalid dns entry or url. Will check it out and get back to you.

Thanks for the feedback.
    Last edited by Chedders; Oct 22nd, 2015 at 09:39 AM.
  7. Contributing User

Oh hey! I tried it again and it worked.

First search - http://myDomain.com
    Second - http://www.myDomain.com

Hope this helps

btw I like it! nice work sir!
  9. Dinosaur

Mmmm. I need to catch problems within the dns lookup. I know all the sites I tried it worked fine. Famous last words eh.
    Leave it with me.
  11. Contributing User

No worries! I'm sure you'll sort it out. Sorry to stumble across the issue. I know the feeling! :/
  13. Entrepreneur
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

Chedders, I was testing one site in your tool and clicked on improvement tips then it says below with image link.
    Alt tag could be more desciptive, currently just 7 in length.Payment
    If I am right then desciptive is typo error and you want to say descriptive.

Comments on this post

• Chedders agrees : My typo sorry
    You do your business I do mine because you are you and I am I If we meet it is nice.
  15. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Hello Chedders,
    Where you are showing server IP, could you do a IP to Country mapping too and show Country. Use a free IP-Location database.
    Can you also workout a Keyword stuffing alert - for repeated phrases (two-three words)? Common occurrences like do you, I am can be overlooked or put a min char length to trigger an alert.
    Overall very to the point analysis.
  17. Entrepreneur
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

Hi Chadders,

Just a complement for your

Previously I have worked with many SEO firms in India. So, there are many BD(Business developer) added in my skype. I have given your tool reference to them and some BDs are using this for their sales pitch in their business proposals and they are getting good responses from the end clients because they can understand very easily this so due to this they have closed many projects. They (BD) have also said to me this tool is helping them to make their prospective clients understand that what kind of errors that need to be fixed on the priority in the one go.

I am getting many compliments due to this but I replied back them I and you like the same as we are only users of this tool but their real credit go to Chadders who build this tool for the community and who is the legend.

My big salute to you boss
    Last edited by Prof.stan; Mar 23rd, 2017 at 12:12 PM. Reason: typo
  19. Dinosaur

your more than welcome, glad to hear people are using it and getting benefit.

Comments on this post

• Tanvireddy agrees
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare
  21. SeoRaptor
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Maybe you could take a look at this too and let me know what you think it' still under development but any feedback (in PM, I do not want to flood this thread) would be pleasant so I can make it better > https://how-to.io Thanks in advance

Comments on this post

• Prof.stan agrees : sure I will
    Owner of Bennetonable - "My opinions are my own - Feel free to disagree & think above the fold."
    Need a quick analysis > Free SEO grader Beta