Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Site speed and SEO

Since I teach in MN, if my website is hosted by a MN company, will that help my site speed? I know some of site speed has to do with servers.
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Site speed not only depends on the server you use, and how fast it is, but quite a few things which are sad to say, totally out of your control ! Let me explain.

How fast your site loads is dependent on how fast the connection your visitor is using. If they are on dial up, your site will take ages to load, but it's not your fault and you can't speed it up "Period". There are other factors too, like how fast is the users computer, how many people using the same connection. If I am sitting in McDonalds using their free wifi and so is another 40 customers, this affects the connection speed too.

As a rule of thumb, if your site loads in under 3 seconds or less, worry about something else that is more important !
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Ok, so the location of the server doesn't affect things like site speed?
  7. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

That is correct.
  9. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Hello ViolinGirl,

We discussed Cloudflare the other week if you can remember. That caches your site and delivers it from the closest location to the user. As KOS said, speed only really matters if your sites a slug. -3secs and below and you should be ok. I'd personally maybe aim for 2 seconds or below though. Google did some research which brought to light that 53% of users press the back button if sites take 3secs+ to load, so I'd say the 2 second mark is "the sweet spot"...

Saying that (slightly off topic), I'm a bit of an OCD freak with speed. I mean, your site can never be too quick, right? Using a CDN (content delivery network) like Cloudflare would more than likely speed your site up some more. Read more about how a CDN works here
    Last edited by matt1966; Apr 13th, 2018 at 06:51 AM.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hello Matt,

Thank you for the info. I remember that we discussed Cloudflare but don't remember that it caches your site and delivers it from the closest location to the user.

What is a slug site? Thanks
  13. Just a Photographer
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

What is a slug site?
    I'm going to guess it's a slow site...you know, slugs move slowly.
    - Mike

Jack of all trades, master of none.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Ok, makes sense.
  17. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Yes, slug means slow.

Slightly off topic, but after taking a peek at your site again - thought I'd just mention it...

Firstly, your title is still this: "Shoreview/Maplewood (near Woodbury), Roseville and Crystal Suzuki Violin and Fiddle Lessons Near You For All Ages/Abilities – Violin Lessons" your h1 also mentions 4 locations. You're doing this wrong.

Secondly, one of the best perks of WordPress is that start-ups and people who can't code can still look very professional. I assume that's also why you used WordPress... but when I look at your site, it doesn't scream out professionalism to me. I don't feel it will convert well at all either. Have you thought about letting a professional make the site? Or, at the least, make a boilerplate for you to work on or something?
  19. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

You can use Page speed Insight tool which gives you all the keys and advice to improve your page load. YUI Compressor tool will help you compress your code by minimizing JavaScript and CSS.

21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Ok, thanks.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Yes, that is happening right now. A professional is working on it. They started last week. Still, I don't want to be dependent on a developer forever. I don't think people get this.

How do I talk about Woodbury and rank for that even though I'm not teaching in that suburb, well at least, not my own location? I'm thinking I'll put that my Maplewood location is near Woodbury on the openings/location page.

I am thinking about restructuring how I talk about where I teach lessons. Thinking of putting Openings/Locations on one page. I mentioned this to the developer.
    Mondays: New location at xxxxx, address, Close to hwy 96 and Lexington-near White Bear Lake, Vadnais Heights, Arden Hills, Lino Lakes, Hugo, Centerville, North Oaks, Blaine and Circle Pines, then I have a map

Tuesdays: location x, address, close to xxx-near xxxx
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I haven't tackled the site title yet as I will see what the developer says. Wish I could figure this all out myself. The developer gave me an estimate of $750 it would cost to rebuild the site.
  27. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Before you give the project to a developer, have a look at themes first. Perhaps something like this: https://themeforest.net/item/tutorpr...72292?s_rank=2 would work well for you?
    Always happy to help in private message. | Learn about my latest project Can You Get Automated Pages To Rank In Google?
    Useful Links: Useful SEO Tools | GTmetrix | FileOptimizer | Cloudflare
  29. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by violingirl1978
    I haven't tackled the site title yet as I will see what the developer says. Wish I could figure this all out myself. The developer gave me an estimate of $750 it would cost to rebuild the site.
    Is this the same developer who did your current site?
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: