1. Philip@SearchBenefit.com
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

On-Site and On-Page SEO: All You Wanted to Know About It

WHAT ARE ON-SITE SEO AND ON-PAGE SEO?

On-Page SEO is the optimization of the elements of an HTML page for Google search. This typically includes content and tagging. On-Site SEO includes On-Page SEO as well as the optimization of site elements that are not confined to a single page, such as site navigation and hyperlinking, sitemaps, Robots.txt, some coding choices, etc. (On-Site SEO is distinguished from off-site SEO, not covered in this post, which has to do with promoting your website on other sites.)

On-Page and On-Site SEO are important to your site's search friendliness. Basically, your these elements form a kind of search engine oriented resumé for your site and your business: they tell Google and the rest of them what your site is about, what subjects it’s most relevant to.

GENERAL ON-SITE SEO FACTORS

Site Quality. That is the SEO requirement number one in serious SEO today. Make a site that users love. Make one that they love more than your competition’s. Google measures user behavior and knows whose site is better for which search.

Content. The cliché that "content is the king" has never been truer than now. Your website must provide authentic, useful, unique content that stands out from the rest and also has the markings of authority and trustworthiness. Try to provide unique value to your visitors and help solve real life problems in special ways. Create multimedia content, including video, images, infographics. Make sure that all your important pages have substantive text content as well. You may want to keep the top of the page spare and focused, but add content below.

Killer User Experience. Make sure that the site navigation is easy to understand for a normal visitor. Also the site should load quickly both on desktops and mobiles.

Domain Name. Get the best domain name you can find or afford. Whether you have keywords in it or not (there are potential pros and cons to either approach), do not use a sucky domain name. Having keywords in your domain can help a bit. Additionally, having an exact match domain name can still give you a strong boost on Google (and other search engines) for that keyword, often up to #1-3, though it’s not guaranteed (and Google has reduced the power of exact match domain names for "low quality sites.")

Site Structure, Navigation, URLs. The best solution is a flat site structure, with short navigation toward all your important pages. Make navigation easy and intuitive. Use text linking, or make sure to use meaningful Alt-tags if you use graphics for buttons. Your most important pages, such as your product categories, for example, should be linked directly from your home page or from your top-level site-wide navigation. Ideally, nothing of importance should be more than two clicks away from the home page. Minimize the number of slashes / subfolders in URLs. URLs should be flat, transparent, search- and user-friendly. Google had admitted that using keywords in URLs helps SEO a little bit. Do not use more than a few keywords though, keep your URLs reasonably short. Avoid parametrized dynamic URLs or any ugly-looking URLs. On Unix, use mod_rewrite to make nice URLs.)

Duplicalte Content; and URL Canonicalization. Do not needlessly duplicate content across your site; minimize the amount of duplicate content. When duplicate or highly similar content must appear on different URLs for any legitimate reason (for example, you may be testing a different version of a page, a different design, or you may have different versions of the same page in AdWords). You can either block Googlebot from the secondary pages and duplicates, or – a less extreme measure that I recommend – use canonical links on the secondary version of the page. (Example: <link href="URL of the canonical page goes here" rel="canonical"> -- and it is OK to include the same link on the canonical page and having it refer to itself; in case you are worried, this causes no issues.) Decide whether want your site to appear as example.com or www .example.com, and then canonicalize all the URLs accordingly. Use only the preferred form of the URL in all links.

Crawlability and Indexability. Make your important pages accessible to Googlebot and the other search bots. Use Robots.txt or Meta Robots tags carefully if you want to restrict search engines from accessing some of your pages. Make sure that there are no errors that can prevent search bots from correctly crawling and accessing your pages. Do not replace text with graphics or flash. (Read more about crawlability in this sticky: forums.seochat.com/google-optimization-7/google-crawling-indexation-101-a-324216.html )

Cross-Platform Compatibility. Today people use multiple devices and different browsers. Optimize your site effectively to work well on all platforms and across all major Browser versions. Including, alas, that old piece of junk, Internet Explorer 6 – sorry, guys, that’s still 5% of the total user share.

Internal Links. Proper internal linking helps your SEO, site architecture, and richer user experience. Have a good clean internal linking architecture, but also make sure to have a lot of contextual interlinking in relevant content. It is fine and helpful to use relevant keywords in your links. Use your links to drive the ample flow of link juice to all the important pages that you wish to rank. Link juice should spread freely throughout your site.

Outbound Links. If you have an established domain, do not be in a rush to switch to a new one. Do not allow any link building on your site; if you allow users to post links of any kind, it is best of all to nofollow them if you have no control over where they are going. Also, be aware that outbound links can bleed Google Page Rank from your pages. I believe in linking only to relevant and authoritative sites. Do not link to bad neighborhoods or to anything that is of low quality.

Broken Links, 404 Pages, Deleting Content. Fix all the broken links on your site. For example, download Xenu Link Sleuth (free) and run it on your site. Also, make sure any missing pages do not result in 404 errors. When removing content, implement a 301 redirect to the most relevant URL or (unless you can't find a better page) to the home page.

Monitoring and Best Practices. Though these are not ranking factors, they deserve mention here. Monitor your site’s traffic and check it for technical issues. Use Google Webmaster Tools data and Analytics. You can only troubleshoot when you know what to troubleshoot, and that’s how you find out. Create an XML sitemap and submit it to the search engines via their respective webmaster tools. If you have videos, create and submit a video sitemap.

Social Sharing Buttons. Social Media plays an essetial role in your SEO and online marketing activities today. Place social buttons on your site pages.

ON-PAGE SEO FACTORS

Title Tag. It is the most important on-page SEO factor. When search bots index your page, the <title> tag is the first thing they look at. It tells them what the page is about. On your Home page, write a Title Tag that represents the overall theme of the website and looks good to your visitors as well. A perfect Title tag should contain the most important keywords closest to the beginning. Many recommend mentioning your brand at the end of the title tag.

Keywords in Content. You should have your keywords used in your content naturally and meaningfully. Google warns that spammy "keyword stuffing" can be a negative ranking factor. It is probably more true that it won't help you much at all, and will also cause more of your visitors to leave (which can indeed drag down your rankings if your bounce rate skyrockets). Write for people and not for search engines. Do not repeat your keywords in the content unnecessarily.

Meta Description Tag. Including keywords in your meta description does not influence your search rankings. You want a meta description that will make your prospects click on your link in the search results, because your clickthrough rate (CRT) has SEO importance. Think of your meta description as an ad. Include your unique selling proposition, or one or two top selling points most relevant to the given page.

Heading Tags. Keywords in HTML heading tags, such as <h1>, <h2>, etc, do not make for a powerful ranking factor on Google, but they can help somewhat, especially for the less competitive and "long tail" keywords. The most important heading tag is <h1> and the power of the rest of them, from <h2> to <h6> is insignificant. Do not use multiple <h1> headings on the same page unless your content is really ample and justifies it. I do not recommend using <h3> and beyond: they create clutter and betray the expectations of the majority of Web users.

Image Alt Attribute. The HTML Alt attribute used to describe images on a webpage. It is recommended to optimize the images on your webpage and use relevant keywords there. Well optimized images can also appear in Google Image results and drive additional traffic to your website. Additionally, keywords in the Alt attribute on image links take on a special importance: you can think of them as being similar to link anchor text.

Rich Snippets. Use rich snippet markup code to let Google better differentiate and interpret your content. This is a big topic I will not get into here, but useful info can be found at searchengineland.com/from-microdata-schema-to-rich-snippets-markup-for-the-advanced-seo-162902 .

OBSOLETE AND FALSE ON-PAGE FACTORS: DO NOT SWEAT THESE

In old sources concerning on-page SEO, you may run into mention of the following obsolete or false on-page SEO factors. Ignore them, do not waste your time on them:
    Meta Keywords Tag. It looks like this: <meta name="keywords" content="keyword1, keyword2, keyword3">. This tag is code clutter and also tells your competitors what keywords you are targeting. Ignore it.
    Meta Title Tag. Unless the important <title> tag, the meta title tag looks like this: <meta name="title" etc> is obsolete, do not use it.
    Bold/Strong and Italic/Emphasis Tags; Font Size; Font Color. Today these have only presentation value and no SEO value. Use them in a way that best serves the user.
    Keyword Density. Do not worry about keyword density. It is a myth that the major search engines have ever used it as a ranking factor.
    W3C Validation; HTML5. As a techie, I think W3C Validation and HTML5 are totally cool. However, they don’t help your site rank better. Nevertheless, clean, compliant HTML is the basis of good cross-browser performance and thus indirectly relevant to user behavior and hence SEO.

SEO experts, I have tired to be thorough, if you feel something is missing from this account, please comment below, and I will update this post.

When quoting from this post please refer to the source.

Comments on this post

• gurvinderpal agrees : Great Post
    • prakash1007 agrees : good info about seo
    • thefasninja agrees : Help ful pst
    • BillyFord agrees : helpful post! hope to find more about seo
    • KarnRawat agrees : just wow..! i think newbies like me are waiting for some more yummy content
    • BuyGifts.com agrees : Good stuff! Funny that half of this will be obsolete in 2 years. Sit back and watch the Google game. It's very entertaining!
    • Mihir2221 agrees
    • Ldylarke agrees : Bookmark worthy!
    • mydigitalstores agrees : Complete guide for on page SEO
    • BBLoudMarketing agrees : Good Post
    • dheerajgulia agrees : On page is right but Off page is not clear on this forum. Why?
    • Soumyananda agrees : Supab post. I have a doubt in customized 404 page.
    • zcodiatech agrees : nice
    • Kristina220 agrees : I am New Commer SEO Expart.
    • sachinbisht016 agrees : good post for seo on page
    • Anishwebmaster agrees : Great, You are right. On Page and Off Page optimization technique is components of SEO. Both are necessary for best ranking of your site.
    • Jeniffercartet agrees : This post helped me to learn more about on-page optimization and rather than that I came to know a new factor of on-page "Rich Snippets"
    • Sharmin agrees : Very helpful
    • timmdanny agrees : Worthy!
    • henryjo agrees : Useful information, Thanks for sharing
    • epkgupta agrees
    • g1994bharat agrees : just have look on bloghike,com this site is awesome its ranking is improving day by day it contain all the things that beginner should be known of.
    • Jenifer Jeny agrees : Great post... Got clear idea about SEO
    • moviesnhacks agrees
    • johnmessy agrees : I am totally satisfied with your points a really very important from seo point of view as while optimizing any website we have to keep all these on page while optimizing any website threw on page.
    • Anstia agrees : On-page SEO has been a really hot topic recently, and I love to see people get right into it! This piece I read recently was fantastic, albeit a bit controversial: http://optimal-marketing.com/blog/on-page-seo-is-new-off-page-seo/
    • Marta Sommer agrees : clear explanation give thanks for sharing
    • TarunUpadhyay agrees : Great Post
    • KickBoost SEO agrees : Nice sticky!
    • abirdas9 agrees : Amazing. I've heard that www.ucoz.in provides easier seo. Good post :)
    • David_Garry agrees
    • BbdLea agrees
    • andieshire agrees : It’s nice to know that the above information here is completely understandable. I will recommend this article to SEO beginners who seek what’s On-site and On-page is all about. Keep up the good work and continue making wonderful thoughts
    • Natalie89 agrees
    • airrmedia agrees : This was really a great post! I really like the information that you provided about the h3 tags and beyond do not really affect seo that much for websites. Wort the read.
    • Josephine 89 agrees : You are sharing such nice information about on-page and off-page. I like your article. Great work. I appreciate your work.
    • lushi agrees
    • william17 agrees : Nice write up!!
    • gaurav-n agrees : NIce Post, Thanks For this great Post....
    • GiftSense
    • trcconsulting23 agrees : awesome post... helpful for seo beginners.
    • parmalinks agrees : Great post...Thank you for sharing with us.
    • sarahtylor agrees
    • khyati agrees : really helpfull content
    • seo589 agrees
    • moversindubai agrees : very informative. Thanks
    • viji120584 agrees : Great Post
    • Mohit Arora agrees
    • Josoftech agrees
    • bluebird08 agrees : It's a valuable informations for me. Thanks
    • neelam09 agrees : Nice post..!!
    • generalhaan agrees
    • ajaykumar130 agrees : very nice post
    Last edited by PhilipSEO; Nov 18th, 2013 at 10:39 AM.
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Nice post. I would like to question some points made in the post, not a criticism or flame, more questions and a bit of things i picked up (and i'm not a pro, more part time, so learn me from my errors if you wish).

1. Domain Name - Does it really matter any more? if sites like amazon and Wikipedia can top the list with almost every product or subject... does that only leave sites that provide services locally?

2. Rich Snippets - Rich snippets has never been my fortè, but i have always ranked well without using it. Is this a major factor towards SEO or a minor?

3. Social Sharing Buttons - I have only found it drives traffic through whoever likes, follows or whatever else there is, then their friends follow links via their page. Is it really a major factor towards SEO and if so how? or have i already explained roughly already? And i do use social networking btw.

Thanks in advance. Personally myself, those three points are areas i am very much weak at as i have not paid much attention to them, so if is it appears very novice like, then it's true

Comments on this post

• Mihir2221 agrees : Good Post
    • nomananw agrees
    • Kristina220 agrees : Nice Post
    • sachinbisht016 agrees : good information about seo on page , about more information u can visit out site kslpl.in
    • g1994bharat : ust have look on bloghike,com this site is awesome its ranking is improving day by day it contain all the things that beginner should be known of.
    • sarahtylor agrees : Great post!!! Sounds going good!!
    • MatthewHubbard agrees : Thank you for tips
    • websri India agrees
    Last edited by Grizzler; Nov 16th, 2013 at 07:28 PM. Reason: typo
  5. -
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by Grizzler
    1. Domain Name - Does it really matter any more? if sites like amazon and Wikipedia can top the list with almost every product or subject... does that only leave sites that provide services locally?
    A great domain name can instantly give you more credibility and make you seem like the authority on the topic in the eyes of visitor.

The more credibility you have the more open people are to trusting you, buying from you, socially sharing and linking etc.

I've also heard for adwords having an EMD increases click through rate and so lowers cpc but I'm a million miles from an expert on adwords.

Here is an interesting article you might like How Much Is A Category Killer Domain Worth? CarLoans.com.au Generates $40 Million in 6 Months | TheDomains.com

Originally Posted by PhilipSEO
    I have tired to be thorough, if you feel something is missing from this account, please comment below, and I will update this post.
    For the "obsolete" you might add pagerank sculpting with nofollow links.

Also "Adding content just for the sake of adding content" seems to be a thing.. no thought is given to the quality of the content just as long as new content is being added. People seem to mistakenly believe just adding 400 word articles written for them for $10 will be good for their rankings.

I'm sure there are at least a couple of other things I hear regularly that people like to do that are pointless but I can't think of them atm.

Thanks for the post though Philip great stuff.

Comments on this post

• crimcheck agrees
    • Sibelim agrees : But I am facing problem to identify how to get more back links for the my site https://songdew.com
    Last edited by DarrenHaye; Nov 16th, 2013 at 08:07 PM.
    I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill
  7. No Profile Picture

Great post. I like to add a new element to this list is creating regional pages for any website. Today local languages are an important factor for webmaster to consider when building a website. It is popularly known as Multilingual SEO. An increasing kind of data indicates mobile devices are the future of search marketing and online businesses are encouraged to make quick adjustments.
  9. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by Sudipto
    Great post. I like to add a new element to this list is creating regional pages for any website. Today local languages are an important factor for webmaster to consider when building a website. It is popularly known as Multilingual SEO. An increasing kind of data indicates mobile devices are the future of search marketing and online businesses are encouraged to make quick adjustments.
    It is not so important for any site. Everybody knows that languages are important and that it`s a lot of work, if we are talking about SEO. But every case is unique. We can`t create one and common checklist for everybody in the world. One of the most bright example is russian business - there is 60% and more users in Russia using Yandex. Making website for Yandex automatically means that you don`t need to make it multilangual. Because that would be only another waste of time, money and resourses. We need to understand that we can`t make the common structure.
  11. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

One of the nice post. Your information was good. But like all other I should ask you about the domain name. Does it really matter anymore? You can provide some more information about the on-page seo.

Comments on this post

• videonews agrees : Here are the following tactics of on-page SEO : The Meta Keywords, Description and Robots tag — Google used description copy to market your site in its results, treat this as optimized sales copy. Make sure your sitemap.xml page is CONSTANTLY
    • nomananw agrees
    • sachinbisht016 agrees : good post. u can more information about seo in kspl.in
    • RonMathew agrees : as both on-page as well as off-page is really very useful for seo , as if we use the correct way than the ranking of the websites will be definitely improve.
    • JuliaMoliere agrees : Do you know about new off-page seo? this article opened my mind: http://optimal-marketing.com/blog/on-page-seo-is-new-off-page-seo/
    • surendrasingh agrees : Yes that is really that people should know. both are different things but valuable. the logo and website theme and font are also very important in seo. if you want to see example just check this out - http://www.edu396.in/cbse-board-12th-arts-science
    • aadarshweb agrees : I agree and i would like to add opengraph meta tags & twitter tags are now also important factor
    • JollySerath agrees : Very nice post
    • GiftSense agrees
    • Mohit Arora agrees
    • samikhan007 agrees : Impressive....! I totally agree with this. All points are well thought & written. Kudos to you