1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Site not ranking well at all! Got worse since a site overhaul

Well I have to say I don’t understand how SEO works…I thought I had a decent grasp of it….but the horrible SEO results for a website that I have recently launched seem to say otherwise. The website, which we have launched about a month ago is Sheffieldfurniture.com. The previous website had VERY little text, most of the wording were Jpegs… There was very little content in the site. We totally changed the site to what you see now when you go to our home page. The updated site has a large amount of content, title tags, alt tags and folder names that are all relevant to the content and the keywords that we would like to rank well in. The frustrating and confusing thing is we have gone DOWN in our rankings, we have “dropped off the map” completely it seems! I have even made a HTML, XML and TXT site map and submitted them to google…I really don’t know what else is needed… Is it just a matter of time? Will google totally drop your old standings if it sees that your website has completely changed?
    the keywords that I would like to rank well in are (Stickley, Henredon, Hickory Chair, and other main furniture brands that we display) Thanks for your help guys, I need it!

Jon
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Did you 301 redirect the urls from your old site to the corresponding url on your new site? This is a good practice to retain PR.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Perma
    Did you 301 redirect the urls from your old site to the corresponding url on your new site? This is a good practice to retain PR.
    I did not do that...I guess I will need to look into that, any special words of wisdom or is it a quick "google it" fix? Also...many of previous search results are not coming up...does google automatically recognize broken links like that?
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by jpf566
    I did not do that...I guess I will need to look into that, any special words of wisdom or is it a quick "google it" fix? Also...many of previous search results are not coming up...does google automatically recognize broken links like that?
    Redirecting:
    Since your site is on a Windows Server (using IIS), I don't have a lot of wise words for doing redirects (I'm used to unix servers). However, this is a lot of info and step-by-step tutorial posts on redirecting available on this forum.

Search Results:
    Because Google and other search engines still have you old pages being listed in SERPs, these redirects will take hits to those now non-existant pages, and forward traffic to your new page. It's important to redirect specific pages to specific pages, rather than redirecting all your 404s to the domain root, where possible.
  9. No Profile Picture

Site ranking got worse

Hi jpf566,

I'm in the same boat as you, my updated web site Nottingham-weddingcars failed to get in the top 50 of Google after 3 visits by Google.

Same web designer who made this site has updated my other site and that is performing very well, with top 5 rankings most of the time.

We have sought ideas and changed key words but to no joy. I am thinking of pulling this updated version and going back to my web builder site to replace the professional 1.

I'm open to suggestions if anyone has any.