1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Site Map For Wordpress Site

Hi, after noticing one of my page's has not been indexed and further reading into the subject I believe I need a plugin for a Site Map for my wordpress site.

I am looking for something very simple that will update itself, XML I believe is the way forward as I don't want the page viewable.

Can anyone point me in the right direction or a great plugin that you have used for wordpress or put me right if I am barking up the wrong tree.

Thanks
  3. Just a Photographer
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I sitemap isn't a 100% way to index your page. Have you typed in 'site:yourpage' and see if it's indexed? Are you sure you have it set to index?

For your question, I use the Yoast plugin to edit titles, noindex etc. It also has a sitemap generator.
    - Mike

Jack of all trades, master of none.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Hikin Mike
    I sitemap isn't a 100% way to index your page. Have you typed in 'site:yourpage' and see if it's indexed? Are you sure you have it set to index?

For your question, I use the Yoast plugin to edit titles, noindex etc. It also has a sitemap generator.
    Thanks for your comment, I submitted the page to Google yesterday and today it now shows on page two.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

As someone mentioned here Yoast is one of the better plugins for the job.

However, at least in my opinion you should not rely on a plugin to do the job for you. For example, a client of mine uses sitemap plugins and it has picked up many pages that the Wordpress template has autogenerated.
    As a result, Google has indexed many pages that the client does not want indexed as well as creating orphaned pages which is no good for SEO.

I personally prefer the option of manually creating your own sitemap... but of course viability depends on how many pages your website is.

Just make sure if you use a sitemap plugin to check if it has picked up URLs that you do not want.