1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Site Layout and SEO Question

Hello Everyone,

Please forgive me if this has been asked before. I am new to all of this and I am not sure what to look for on here.

I am getting ready to develop my sites for my company and multiple brands and I am hope to optimize them for SEO and prevent being black flagged for duplications and improper redirects.

I have created a diagram of what I was thinking, but I am not sure if I have my head screwed on straight when I am thinking about this.

• I currently own the three domains at the top of the diagram.
    • Each domain has its own root folder.
    • I will be using Wordpress for the Brand 1 & 2 sites. (Which I have never used before - I am use to Joomla, but I keep hearing Word press is better and I found some nice templates).
    • Is there a better way of dealing with the landing pages?

Like I said at the top, I am very new to this and I greatly appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks for your time.

Bill
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Couple of things I don't understand:

1) Why does Brand 2 link to Brand 1 in so many ways?
    2) Why so many domains (city-brand1service-1.com, etc)? This would give you lots of sites with shallow content (not good for SEO). It would be better to have brand1domain.com/city/ which gives that domain more content.
    Learn SEO and Online Marketing with Doodleddoes or follow me on Google+ at https://plus.google.com/+TimHillDoodled/
  5. No Profile Picture

As for the cross linking of the brands, my initial thoughts were to allow potential customers to be able to access either brand from the landing page or from a menu link within the blog. I am a photographer and brand one is "Babys & Maternity" and brand two is "High School Seniors". To be honest, i a wondering if I truly need the to have the cross link within the blog. Does the cross linking hurt, or you will it improve the SEO?

Can you give more detail in regards to the (city-brand1service-1.com, etc). I was under the assumption that it was good to have keyword rich domains pointing to unique landing pages within your site, such as (www.brand1domain.com/city-brand1service-1/)

In addition to what is shown, i will also have links pointing to my appropriate social media sites as well.

Thanks
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Personally I think you way over thinking this.

By splitting it into 3 domains you are diluting your content and making your SEO work 3 times as much work.
    There is a danger of it being seen as a link exchange as well although across 3 sites I doubt it but even so I would be careful.

As for cities Doodled is correct, use the directory approach if your targeting different areas don't go buying even more domains as each one then will require even more SEO work.
    Its hard enough to get 1 site to the top of page 1 let alone 3 or more, unless you have a army of SEO experts and content writers, backlinkers hidden in the background.
    Good SERPS is great, Traffic however is even better
  9. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Right, I understand a little bit better now.

So create one domain that can have a decent level of content and get some traction in the search engines rather than dozens of wafer thin ones that search engines will look straight through:

So:
    methephotographer.com
    methephotographer.com/baby-maternity-photography/
    methephotographer.com/baby-maternity-photography/new-york/
    methephotographer.com/baby-maternity-photography/blog/
    methephotographer.com/high-school-seniors-photography
    methephotographer.com/high-school-seniors-photography/new-york/
    methephotographer.com/high-school-seniors-photography/blog

I didn't research those URLs - just an example off the top of my head. That helps Google understand that methephotographer.com is a big juicy website with lots of content and worth paying attention to - so long as you don't **** up the content by doing something like creating duplicate content for each city ;-)
  11. No Profile Picture

But, please don't use a domain that begins "meth"...
  13. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Over engineered.
    www.V2INTERACTIVE.net - SEO Web Design | On-Page SEO | SEO Audits & Reports | Link Building
    BASED IN ATLANTA, GA. Contact: Skype/Phone/Email (Discounted rates available for SEOChat members only - email seochat@v2interactive.net)
    Please EMAIL me at the above address and do not send Private Messages. I rarely check them and your message will be lost.
  15. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

All cross linking strategies will fail to produce the result you seek especially if the content each domain has is largely unchanging.

The thing with Geo-targeting - you rank a domain and on entering that domain the software redirects the user to the most appropriate location. Example when ever I search for Google's "another step to reward high-quality sites" I see results for Google's blogspot.com post and because I'm in Canada it redirects me to the dot.ca domain. Even if I'm on Google.ca I see the dot.com version but get redirected upon clicking.

Your attempt to pretend to Geo-target purely to create a link scheme will fail. GUARANTEED!
    Last edited by fathom; Jul 23rd, 2013 at 10:57 AM.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I agree, cross linking is dangerous. Focus on one domain only. Create different content for different sections, you can "cross link" inside the same domain if you want to organize it this way. This initial configuration is something similar to many initial designs of newbies trying to figure out how anything is working. You want to create something interesting, but you fail since you don't know the rules. Before doing anything like this, study and research. You risk to lose your domains, they could be penalized or not indexed.