1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Single Site or Multiple

Hello,

I work for a company that sells activities to corporate, stag groups & schools. They are basically outdoor adventure activities. they want to separate all three into different websites, I don't think there is enough content to make it worthwhile but on certain pages such as the home page (on the current site) they believe the seo is being divided between all three sections and it would be better to have a single website for each section.

What are your thoughts? It dosen't seem to be the right thing to do, but I can't think of many valid reasons why?

Thank you,

Dan
  3. No Profile Picture

Hello,

You were correct, apart from that the current website the website cannot to be divided better to have even a content also. If may also possible by the inner pages with different content. Because me also having the same type.

Thank you...
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I would view this as a strictly marketing decision rather than an SEO decision. Certainly there is an SEO benefit to having a single site. A fairly big one. There is also a reduced maintenance cost.
    However, your company may wish to use drastically different branding on site for Stag groups vs. schools, vs. corporate groups. Sub sections may be fine for you. But you could also make a valid argument that separate home pages, and site themes would be more likely to land conversions than a combined site. Freeing up imagery, colors, text emphasis, etc. for each market.

3 sites would be
    - Worse for SEO
    - More to maintain
    - Potentially better branded (the school planner never sees that you do stag parties, the entire theme can be changed, etc.)

Only you can determine which is better over all. Analytics may help but ultimately I think this is a business branding decision. There are vast benifits to going with a single site, but there are potential drawbacks as well.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Hii liondedan,

In my opinion you should make a good homepage which has small description of all three activities corporate, stag groups & schools. Then you should create 3 menu buttons corresponds to corporate, stag groups and schools. When there is a click on these menu buttons they should be navigated to proper inner pages which describes each of the activities separately. This would be beneficial from seo point of view.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If you do go with a single site I see at least three ways you can go each with their own benefits and drawbacks:
    a) A general 'adventure trips' branded site. Talk a lot about whitewater rafting etc. Then either small links to 'corporate packages', 'school packages' etc. or a 'view packages' link that would take you to a page or pages that would have specific package information.
    b) A home page & landing pages that are generic to the activity but have little content with large links (big rectangular type things) linking to large pages customized for each market.
    c) The entire site has info on each page about how the activity applies to each of the three categories.

(a) would result in higher rankings but mostly on x activity rather than corporate x trip. However it wouldn't offend anyone. Also there is little room for specific marketing (ex. this activity will help students...)
    (b) Provides space for specific marketing but will likely rank lower on the activity name, and everyone sees the other groups you target.
    (c) Probably the easiest to maintain, but the least good for other things.

Comments on this post

• Lb1878 agrees : Great points in this thread..sorry out of rep for you
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If done right it will be better. But that means much more hassle, creating different design, hosting, and content. And for you to submit each site to different type of directories and write different articles for each.
    I think if the business model is strong and they are making good money out of each section then they should go for it. But they have to realize that they will need to hire more people to deal with all the additional headaches including additional employees to handle all the new clients ;)
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by jeff45
    ...submit each site to different type of directories and write different articles for each...
    ROTFLMFAO. more time for directory submission :giggle:
    Why don't you go read some stickies.
  15. Dancin with the devil
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

I've always opted for one site with sub directories as long as there was not an overwhelming need/reason to create separate sites or sub domains. I believe in the theory that creating one website and adding pages to it will help create an authoritative, large and resourceful site. You can SEO one website and pass juice around the site. With multiple sites or sub domains, the need exists for separate SEO for each and every site/sub domain. If you have the resources available then great. If it all falls into your lap, it may be a monumental task.

I am not quite sure how I would handle your situation though. I like realityhacks idea of creating a home page with three large, sections highlighting the features of each group with a bold call to action which will lead you to more information. I agree with all that he noted about this thought. You need to identify what the difference and need is to separate the 3 target groups before you decide to create separate sites for them. If the info is the same for all 3 groups, I think a site about the different adventures with packages broken down per group would be my choice.
    "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." Chinese Proverb