1. SeoRaptor
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Question Should we start talking about STO?

I donít even know if the Acronym exists, but it would stand for Search Traffic Optimization.
    In other words, optimizing the traffic from search engine (within the available resources) for a maximum revenue generation.

I noticed that most of my leads and clients only see SEO work as the generation of the maximum possible traffic to a website but they do not understand the importance of the traffic quality.

At several occasions Iíve totally repositioned websites on Google (Google has a large supremacy on my market) by targeting different keywords with a lower number of monthly searches. The direct results were obviously a drop in traffic, but also an increase in web conversions, lead generation or sales, because the keywords that generated the traffic were ę*in the purchasing process*Ľ. In the end itís exactly what people do when they optimize Adwords campaigns keywords. Putting back the user intent at the heart of SEO strategies.

But even if clients are happy to see their income rise, I can still feel that they are disappointed by the slight drop in traffic, like a : ę*Great, butÖ.*Ľ * answer.

Did you guys also experienced this feeling? I always try my best to explain what I do, how I do it and what are my objectives when I work for a company, so itís not just a question of communication.

I think that the term SEO has widely spread in the last years with a wrong definition. Itís not so much that the definition is wrong but the way it has been explained to non professionals and how the same people understand SEO.

So is it time to start talking about STO to bypass these problems?

Iíll be glad to hear your thoughts on this and how you face these issues.

(for those who do not know me I make a living out of SEO and Webmarketing since 2011 as my own employer, and Iíve been doing SEO since 2008 so itís not that Iím not able to sell my services or conduct SEO strategies itís more an open question)
    Last edited by Pierre Benneton; Apr 16th, 2017 at 06:03 AM.
    Owner of Bennetonable - "My opinions are my own - Feel free to disagree & think above the fold."
    Need a quick analysis > Free SEO grader Beta
  3. Entrepreneur
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

Pierre this is not only you who has faced this issue or similar issue. In my previous company, I was working as escalation manager every day I called to the different clients with my CRM guy and try to make them understood the real scenario of SEO in practicality. Then we created KPI sheet and in this sheet, we clearly mentioned the KRA with date and every month this sheet updated and sharred the clients so that we and clients were on the same page.
    As per as ur concerned CRO is most important but also you need to create KPI sheet and share this with your clients that will help you for reducing clients escalations.

I give an example of my client 1) She is already a blogger and expert in her niche so we knew she can write good content by herself. She worried about the traffic as her website got hit during the panda update and she wanted to get back her site on the previous slot. In that case, our KPI was very clear and during the analysis of the site we noticed that content being copied from category and tag pages and the site were getting traffic from long tail keywords, so we simply upgrade WordPress version install noindex,follow plugin for category and tag and implement this and resulting was that the site was back even in better traffic.

So, create and update your KPI sheet and share this with your clients that will hep lots.
    Last edited by Prof.stan; Apr 16th, 2017 at 12:53 PM. Reason: typo
    You do your business I do mine because you are you and I am I If we meet it is nice.
  5. Entrepreneur

Guys please add yours inputs on Pierre's concerned.
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I'd say I've managed around 60-70 SEO accounts so far in my career and agree this is tricky.

In my experience, clients are only interested in two things only: traffic and keyword positions.

If you're in the industry you'll know there's far more to it than just these two things but it's a difficult balance between giving the client what they think they want compared to what you think they need.

It's this attitude why so many grey-hat agencies continue to flourish as it's pretty easy to increase your organic traffic and boost up a few low-conversion keywords for them.

And, at the end of the day that stuff looks good on paper so they'll continue to pay.

The whole point of hiring an agency is so you don't have to spend time on it yourself, but I always try and at least encourage our clients to engage with us a bit more and understand the numbers behind the reports we give them.

Although that's much easier said than done in most cases.

Comments on this post

• Prof.stan agrees
  9. SeoRaptor
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

It's this attitude why so many grey-hat agencies continue to flourish as it's pretty easy to increase your organic traffic and boost up a few low-conversion keywords for them.
    Some don't even take a look at traffic they are just happy when they type a stupid keyword and appear in the first spot for it (I mean a really stupid keyword - no search - no buy or contact intent, etc... )

but I always try and at least encourage our clients to engage with us a bit more and understand the numbers behind the reports we give them
    That really is the main issue when I start working with new clients. Generally, the first results are increase in conversion and the revenue generated by the site, but a reduction in traffic (configuring analytics correctly to remove any type of spam generally has a massive impact on low traffic websites such as local company with no e-commerce).
    Some entrepreneurs are really open minded and understand why the numbers change this way, some are not happy because even if the revenue increases, they only have the word traffic on their lips.

As far as I'm concerned I'm moving to a new business model. I refuse to work with some clients if they do not understand my way of developing long-term strategies. On one side I do have fewer clients and my little company generate a little less revenue at the moment, but I'm pretty sure this will pay off with time. The clients I work for are happy, not willing to change SEO for anything in the world (at least at the moment) and speak about me to other business managers. Also they are much more open to my proposals and a real trust relationship is created.

As for Google we need to think about the user first, I think SEO companies should think about their clients before thinking about their revenue. In general if SEO brings your company easy money (the milking cow product) it means your company does not work properly.
    Last edited by Pierre Benneton; Jun 9th, 2017 at 06:44 AM.
  11. Entrepreneur

Pierre you are spot on, personally I know many SEO companies reviniue have dropped than previous time. Some have changed their business model like one of very known SEO company in India they have moved from SEO service to mobile apps. Some are still in this industry but their reviniue have dropped. The main reason behind this droop as they have filtering out the clients and employees who don't understand the current scenario. Now I believe in coming years most of optimization work will be done by in-house team in big or even small medium companies and only professional SEO company will existing those will meet the clients requirements not work for increasing their reviniue only.

Comments on this post

• Pierre Benneton agrees : Let's hope so...
    Last edited by Prof.stan; Jun 9th, 2017 at 07:12 AM.