1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Could overuse of social bookmark sites be the cause of ranking drop?

I'm working on a smallish site with links from around 200 domains. I'll be frank, I'm no SEO guru but the site owner asked if I could find more information about a problem they have.

Issue 1: The site dropped significantly following the launch of penguin 4, losing more than half its traffic.

Having looked at the backlink profile, it doesn't look any worse than many I've seen. There are some parasite sites linking in which need to be removed, but the good links seem to be relevant, well written contextual pieces on okay sites.

Issue 2: Each time, they attempt to use an exact match keyword (there are several landing pages), there is generally a drop which does not recover and certainly no growth.

If I look at their backlink profile in a tool like majestic, again all looks fine - a very small amount of exact match links, and certainly far less than competitors I've looked at.

However, SEMrush painted a different picture. There are a few do follow bookmarking services, one specifically sticks out - ttlinks.com. WMT shows around 40 backlinks but SEM shows nearer 900. This, I'm informed, is the result of Social ADR, and I'm guessing that many of these links may be exact match keywords or keyword rich phrases. Given that they are all from the same domain, are these links likely to be the culprit?

Would appreciate any views or advice.
    Last edited by noobuk; Jul 17th, 2017 at 12:31 PM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Without knowing the website in question, the issue could be more than just backlinks. However, to answer your question, I would disavow it - especially if you see a lot of exact match anchor text coming from it. Also, from experience, if I see any domain with "links" in the name, it's usually an automatic disavow for me.