1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Lightbulb Should I choose long domain with keywords or short domain w/o keywords

I am trying to figure out which domain name to purchase for the best SEO. I keep reading that it is best to have keywords in the domain but also to keep the domain short. My problem is that my website/blog will be on instructional design. Obviously instructionaldesign com is taken so my next thought was to add a word to it such as instructionaldesigncorner com or something like that. It may be long but it contains keywords and if I told someone that domain over the telephone they would understand it. It also tells the topic of the site. I was looking at resale value on similar domain names and they were anywhere from $500 to $1000 to over $2000.

OTOH, I could choose a much shorter domain without keywords such as swidt com (which is short but isn't meaningful - it stands for my initials and the site topic initials Snow White Instructional Design Technology). I could brand it like crazy but still...it's not very self explanatory.

Another idea I had was to create something like theartofIDT com. It's short and not necessarily self-explanatory but I could brand it. It is also somewhat easy to understand.

If I went with the shorter names and still included keywords on the site and on other pages such as swidt com / instructional-design or whatever the topic at hand would the subpages still rank high?

Is it better to go with a very long name that has some pros or go with a shorter name without keywords and make up for it in other ways throughout the site and really beef up my branding? Thanks in advance for your replies.
  3. No Profile Picture

Oh and I'm not sure if this helps but when I did a search on Google for Instructional Design on the first page of results there were two websites with instructionaldesign as part of the main url. The first was ranked #2 and the other #4. The number #1 result was a Wikipedia entry on instructional design. The other pages had instructional design in some part of the end of the url as the topic for a page or article and others did not include those words at all in the url anywhere but it was the topic of an article on the page.
  5. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

My preference is always to go for the short brandable domain name as this looks at the whole picture.

Having domain names printed, discussed and mentioned etc, a short catchy brandable domain name is nearly always favorite.

Having your keywords in your domain name does mean you will likely get some more links with the relevant keywords in although they will still obviously be your domain name.

If you are starting a fresh site and you can think of a catchy name that people will remember and can be easily understood over the phone then thats great, if you can include your keywords in that too, then you are on to a winner!
  7. No Profile Picture

tstolber,

Thank you for your response. I am now brainstorming some other names as well, something catchy. Thanks for sharing your insight.
  9. learn from lurking
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

what about do consider both.. because short is more easy memorize or catchy and relevancy of domain is also important..
  11. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

Post Re:

You may approach with the domian name with contain your keyword. You can take advantage of domain name if you have keyword in domain name. Do not ever take special character in domain name. Because it is very hard to remeber.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

You might wanna have a look in this video by Google spam team front man - Matt Cutts How important is it to have keywords in a domain name?
  15. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Pay no attention to anyone that tells you "you need keywords in your domain name", its out of date and no longer needed!

When picking your domain name you should aim for a brand-able TLD which people can remember and tell there friends without having to check it first.

Look at apple for example, apples have nothing to do with the company, yet they have no problems with rankings, everyone knows the domain and it works as a whole!

I dont know if you have done any searches on google for "Instructional Design" but when I search on G.co.uk only two domains on page one have those keywords in the domain, and they dont rank #1, so dont that show you that having a keyword rich domain is no longer needed to rank well?
    New To SEOChat? See Here & the FAQ's

"stupid people say stupid things, and smart people out smart each other!" SOAD
    301 Redirects | SEO Tools | Default htaccess | CuteRank
  17. Rajesh Solse

Only the benefit of short domain name that It's easy to remember people when they want go for your site again. and also if you search in google you will see that google gives priority to short domain names.
  19. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by rajesh.solse
    if you search in google you will see that google gives priority to short domain names.
    Its not a case of google giving priority to short domain names, its that people pick short domains which are easy to remember over long domains and so they tend to be given more care and SEO over long spammy domains.

There are lots of examples to show you that short domains have no priority over longer domains, so saying that they do is incorrect and misleading!
  21. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

Post Re:

As per my experience, You may approach with Domain name with carried your targeted anchor text. You can get benefit of domain name. It is easy to get ranking with this domain name.