1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Should I Change Footer Links

On my client websites we usually add a link that says: "Website Design, SEO, and Hosting By: COMPANY" with individual links for Web Design, SEO, Hosting, and COMPANY. We've been doing it for a long time not really thinking about it.

We just ran a backlink report for our site and it looks like in some cases we have over a 1000 links to our site from an individual client site (this is 1/4 of our total backlinks!) and we also now show up for that client's keywords as well.

Can this be impacting our rankings or dropping us lower for our own keywords? Should we worry about the number of backlinks and trim them down?
  3. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

Can this be impacting our rankings or dropping us lower for our own keywords? Should we worry about the number of backlinks and trim them down?
    yes and yes.

You have way too many sitewide links, that worked a long time ago, now it's causing you trouble.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Link back from the client websites is little bit good practice but the link must be NOFOLLOW link. (because of the some website are not related our category.)
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks guys, I'll definitely get these trimmed down and converted to nofollow.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Have you considered creating a single page to promote your company for each of your clients and have them post it? It can be an effective promotional tactic because it will give some background to your company and you can link to various pages on your site.

You can link to this page from that COMPANY link rather than just linking directly to your site. Then there will only be one page linking to your site from each client.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Adam.W
    Have you considered creating a single page to promote your company for each of your clients and have them post it? It can be an effective promotional tactic because it will give some background to your company and you can link to various pages on your site.

You can link to this page from that COMPANY link rather than just linking directly to your site. Then there will only be one page linking to your site from each client.
    That sounds like a good idea from a SEO standpoint but I don't think our clients would be up for that. Most are ok with a link in the footer but no more than that.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Sitewide link is the most harm in your website at this time. After penguin, panda update, I suggest to not using sitewide link to your main website.
  15. No Profile Picture

Can this be impacting our rankings or dropping us lower for our own keywords?
    I have tons and tons of incoming site wide links and I have never seen a problem with them.
    In fact, as I get them, my site ranks better.

You are watching your rankings right?