1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question SEO and subdomains?

Note: using pipes as dots below (because I'm a new user won't let me use URLS)

If my site is (www|mysite|com) and I have a wordpress blog mapped as (blog|mysite|com) is that good or bad for SEO? Or doesn't it matter....?

I would imagine it's better than mysite|wordpress|com - correct?

Google used to consider subdomains as a separate site - but I was under the impression Google had changed this, based on articles I've read online. Looks like Google now considers subdomain links as internal links now...

My main problem is, my client's site is built on classic ASP technology, and wants a Wordpress blog added, which is PHP technology. I thought the easiest way to do this, and the most inexpensive, would be to use the Wordpress domain mapping where I just add a CNAME record to my host account (blog|mysite|com) and point it to mysite|wordpress|com - this would be a whole lot easier and faster than changing hosts and changing technology at this point (especially consider the site needs to go live in short order). But I don't want this to be bad for his SEO.

And suggestions appreciated.
  3. Twitter: @barlow1984
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

In an ideal world my opinion would be to have it all on the one domain however given the problems with this you've stated it seems the best low cost alternative.

It wont harm SEO efforts by having the blog on a subdomain , however I don't believe Google will attribute the full value of links to the parent domain as it would if it were all on the same URL.

I don't really understand the point about the wordpress.org hosted blog however as long as the URL's resolves as the sites URL then it shouldn't be a problem either.
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by barlow1984
    It wont harm SEO efforts by having the blog on a subdomain , however I don't believe Google will attribute the full value of links to the parent domain as it would if it were all on the same URL.
    I"m a newbie trying to understand. Aren't your two comments above contradictory? If Google won't give full value flowing to the parent domain, I would say that does indeed hurt you. Do you mean the the "loss" incurred by a subdomain flowing to the main domain (rather than all on the main domain) is negligible?
  7. Twitter: @barlow1984
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

I guess they could be contradictory however the simple reason is being pragmatic. The OP has technical constraints that would mean implementing the blog on site which is recommended, 2nd would be to use a sub domain and the thirst (last option) would be to have the blog hosted on another domain like Wordpress.org
  9. No Profile Picture

How to do SEO for subdomain,

I have been working as SEO consultancy in one of best Microsoft Software service company, i am doing SEO for the corporate website, we have plan to create one sub-domain website,
    Is there any special method to do SEO for sub-domain website.
    Last edited by ilinkuser; Nov 27th, 2012 at 10:05 PM.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Straight from Google's Matt Cutts (URL address blocked) *Edit* look up "Should I structure my site using subdomains or subdirectories?" on Youtube and watch the Matt Cutts Google Webmaster video.

I would, for the sake of other search engines, say that subdirectories are better overall.

With that said, it's a balancing act. The blog will generate traffic and backlinks. Links from your blog to your main site will share link juice so there is a benefit there. The real challenge is taking the already qualified traffic from your blog and getting them interested in the product/service/whatever on the main site. My method of thinking has always been don't shy away from stuff that may have little effect on ranking if it has a good effect on customer conversion.
  13. No Profile Picture

creating a subdomain will divide your main domain ranking. So it is better not to use subdomains, using subfolders are better for ranking the current domain.
  15. No Profile Picture

Yeah that is not abnormal at all ! That is an authority site model. You have one large website that is branded instead of 20 Exact Match Domains Much better long term decision on your part.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo