1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Search results are still broken

"The Medic Update" literally broke the internet...

Hi everyone,

I am an occasional contributor here and have been since almost the start of my SEO career.

Recent events have made me question my knowledge, my judgement and my ability to diagnose an issue related to organic Google search.

I work for an online pharmacy / chemist, I have an outstanding team of digital marketers.

Working in this field is naturally more complicated than working in a non-regulated sector.

We have done everything possible from an E-A-T perspective, prior to the 'Medic Update', to ensure that our customers can trust us.

Let's face it, from the word go we are battling 'buying medicines online' - it already sounds non-legitimate and potentially fraudulent, as opposed to walking into a local chemist where the trust is instant.

This is why we position ourselves as a friendly, trustworthy and accessible online chemist.

Rewind to 27th September 2018 and there was, for us, a significant algorithm update that caused a 70% decrease in organic traffic which translates to a monumental loss of revenue.

It was like a light switch being flicked off.

The news that followed pointed at E-A-T.

My issue is that when an algo update has previously been rolled out and a client has seen a decrease, I can usually diagnose the issue and/or will know in my gut feeling that I already know what the issue is.

In this case, I had no idea... and I still have no idea what has gone wrong.

I have had advice from real SEO figureheads as well as other industry professionals that I trust a lot.

I have spoken to competitors both in our country and other and still I have no clue what went wrong.

As it stands, I am confident and certain that the search results are broken.

Over a month after the update, we were still seeing awful search results.

An example, "buy codeine linctus", page 1 results included a Japanese, non ecommerce website with the only mention of the work 'codeine' in the URL, and the entire page in Japanese.

Even today, a search for another popular produce, "buy phenergan", we are being outranked by Australian ecommerce websites who sit on page 1.

The basics of Google Search are broken.

I'm in the UK, I am looking to buy a product.

Clearly the right result here is to provide UK ecommerce search results.

Their result (I don't belive they ship to the UK either): https://www.chemistwarehouse.com.au/...5mg-50-tablets

Our page: https://www.chemist-4-u.com/phenergan-25mg-tablets-56s

We have clear imagery, options to buy different strengths, links to the official information leaflet, safety advice, extensive product description, links to help and advice guides, mentions of how we are regulated, we have our content checked for quality and accuracy by professional pharmacists

The list goes on.

This single example is the top of the iceberg - I am convinced there is an issue with the current algo and I feel there must be another significant update coming in the next couple of months.

... thoughts?
    Music Fan | Formula 1 Geek | Apple Fanboy | Head of Digital
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I understand your frustration, even if I am not in your niche. It must be really a headbanging situation, when you see such problematic results and you are unable to find a way to deal with them.

This big update took place during last summer and in the meantime there were launched some smaller updates, followed by one important update during the previous days, around the 7th of January.
    Did you see any changes maybe after that day?
  5. Moderator

Sorry to hear about this, but I would not wait for Google to give your rankings back..
  7. Contributing User

Hi Guys,

Firstly, no, we haven't seen any uplift following the drop.

Secondly, we have absolutely not been waiting around for Google to change something.

We have improved our website significantly following the drop and haven't had one ounce of uplift.

We feel as though there is a black mark against our name here
  9. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

I found the source of the problem! It's because your copyright still says 2018...

I'll spend some time this week and give you a few points to work on from a fresh pair of eyes if you want.
    Always happy to help in private message. | Learn about my latest project Can You Get Automated Pages To Rank In Google?
    Useful Links: Useful SEO Tools | GTmetrix | FileOptimizer | Cloudflare
  11. Contributing User

Haha! You found it! ... (I will update that now though!),

Also Tom, I'll be in touch this week re: CSS
  13. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

If only it were that easy.
    www.joshz.net - SEO Web Design | On-Page SEO | SEO Audits & Reports | Link Building
    BASED IN ATLANTA, GA. Contact: Skype/Phone/Email (Discounted rates available for SEOChat members only - email josh@joshz.net)
    Please EMAIL me at the above address and do not send Private Messages. I rarely check them and your message will be lost.