1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question SEO view of Page content versus HTML Formatting code

I am concerned that many of the pages on our site has a lot of HTML formatting code. ( http://www.sleeping-out.co.za/Cape-T...ommodation.asp ) This code in my opinion far outweighs the amount of content on the page. The second issue in my opinion is that because of the page design the content is preceded by a lot of HTML formatting code. These two issues I believe are affecting the page ranking.

I believe that the advanced search functionality on these pages should be moved onto a separate page and that the pages we want to rank well on search engines should have minimal HTML code and be more focused on content.

Does anyone else have and opinion or recommendation on this?
  3. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Since the "code" is not part of the ranking criteria it really does not play much of a part is better or worse ranks.

While one could arguing that the vast majority of top ranks are associated with pages of smaller files sizes [presumably because of 'less code'] these same pages have far greater history [thus greater history of links as well]... which is a far greater advantage in ranking order.

Having "content" closer or at the page top allows greater order over "description snippets" due to nav bar content being further down - but again it really does not affect ranking order.

Therefore, it the changes "aid patrons" to your website - it's a good idea... but you will see little difference in ordered ranks directly [solely] because of this development.
  5. My first avatar here
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Originally Posted by fathom
    Since the "code" is not part of the ranking criteria it really does not play much of a part is better or worse ranks.
    Uhmm, well i am not sure about that, it seem that google has this beta thing that says when a website has maliciuos code on it. I cant tell you if this affects or not in rankings, but i am very sure that this can affect a website in a indirect way.
    I am a content scrapper. If you need to obtain and process big data, pm me.
    I have a multi-threaded spider that runs on several ec2 instances.
    I have been crawling twitter, and other big guys for a while. Outputs: SQL, XML, CSV, MYSQL, TXT
  7. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by incdeveloper
    malicious code
    How does this apply to this thread?

- I am concerned that many of the pages on our site has a lot of HTML formatting code.

- This code in my opinion far outweighs the amount of content on the page.

- The second issue in my opinion is that because of the page design the content is preceded by a lot of HTML formatting code.

- These two issues I believe are affecting the page ranking.

- I believe that the advanced search functionality on these pages should be moved onto a separate page and that the pages we want to rank well on search engines should have minimal HTML code and be more focused on content.

Are basic html tags [in any volume] malicious?

Is a search function [of any type] malicious?

The 'context' of my reply is based on the thread-starters questions... not an all-encompassing discussion of "code".