1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question SEO tips for JavaScript heavy site with mostly photos

Hi all,

I'm volunteering to improve SEO on a site. It's a photography site, with mostly images and very little text. It uses a CMS which has some pretty involved code, relying heavily on PHP and JavaScript. I read that the web crawlers don't like a lot of JavaScript combined with the HTML code, and that this can hurt a site's ranking.

This site has a lot of JavaScript code combined with the HTML. Would it help SEO at all to separate the JS code from the HTML by putting it into separate files? Also, any other suggestions you can give to improve SEO would be appreciated. <snip>
    Last edited by dzine; Apr 25th, 2013 at 12:29 PM. Reason: We have rules about site reviews (see appropriate section) :)
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Perhaps back in 2002, but crawlers for major search engines are sophisticated. Google, for example, can crawl a good level of javascript shielded or generated links (used until recently to help hide paid links).

With that said, it may be worth a code audit if you feel there are any javascript related errors, if you need to optimize metadata like title and alt tags for images (you may need to dive into code if you need to implement that), image file names (CMS can generically name them which may not help with image SEO).

The real things to consider is what exactly your goal might be? Are you trying to rank for certain keywords nationally, are you a regional business battling for rank? Generally I tell photographers (my day job is that in the photo/video industry) that you need to either 1) market your website with off-line marketing or 2) if you're going to rely on online discovery then you need text! Whether it's captions, a blog, or so on.

Imagine this: I shoot highschool portraits. What if I get someone once a week to give me permission to write a blog post about them? I can write "Suzie from ABC Highschool in Middletown blah blah" with a paragraph or two and it gives me a chance to be discoverable to people searching "middletown school portraits", look at my work on the blog, and then transition to contacting me. It also allows Suzie to post it all over her facebook, twitter, and google+ accounts.

Little code tweaks are awesome but if there aren't any major technical problems, then I would concentrate on a content strategy that integrates your keywords and promotes sharing.

Comments on this post

• zabalex agrees : good one
    Last edited by ALorenzo; Apr 25th, 2013 at 05:55 PM.
  5. SEO Strategist
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Apart from what ALorenzo has said, one major problem you need to fix is Page Load Time. The image dominated websites loads slower and hence you'll see a greater bounce rate. Google or may be other search engines do not want to rank a website in upper SERPs if 6 out of 10 visitors do not stay there. The numbers could be different but the BOUNCE matters too.
    SEO Tips for Newbies | A SEO Expert today was a Novice once
    Bay Area SEO
    Website Development Alicka Inc.