Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Unhappy As an SEO Team Leader, What should I do?

Hello,
    I want some help here concerning SEO team leard's tasks.
    My project manager promoted me to team leader to handle a customer's project, that's a good thing
    The worst is that I don't how to do a team leader tasks.
    What I was doing was submission and content writing and all this beginner's things, Now I'm supposed to collect data and analyze it to determine how to increase traffic, short and simple, Create a strategy.

To make it easier for you I'll mention my problems in points:
    1- What data I should be extracting or focus on (is it bounce rate, back links, social activity ... ???)
    2- How to put this data into use
    3- How can I work on the results

Just 2 things I want to mention
    *-* My team leader was transferred to the other branch so I have no one to ask for an advice.
    *-* I'm very good using Google Analytics and webmaster tools.

Thank you so much and I'd really appreciate your help.

Comments on this post

• sharifmia agrees
  3. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

You should turn down the job. You're not confident or versed enough to take on this new job.
    Why did they move you up if you don't know the first thing about that position?
    And why would you come to a forum and make your very first post about how incompetent you are?
    curious minds what to know.

Comments on this post

• cbp agrees
    Last edited by Test-ok; Sep 28th, 2013 at 03:12 AM.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Test-ok
    You should turn down the job. You're not confident or versed enough to take on this new job.
    Why did they move you up if you don't know the first thing about that position?
    And why would you come to a forum and make your very first post about how incompetent you are?
    curious minds what to know.
    Thank you Test-ok for your reply
    Without going into details, let's just say that I'm forced to do this job
    I can extract data and work on improving it, but it will be done upon own ideas and actions. (While there's more better ways to do it)
    I wanted to make sure that I'm not missing something important and I'm working on the right track
    That's why I could use a little help from you please instead of advising me to turn down the job.
  7. Rebel Without a Clue
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Call me a cynic but I could think of two agencies you work for - both of whom charge through the nose for services then farm projects off to staff who really don't have much of a clue. Caveat emptor and all that I guess.

A good starting point is to read this forum back to front as well as renowned SEO blogs. Acquaint yourself with tools such as Opensiteexplorer, SEMRush, Ahrefs and more. Analysis is a good start so you can determine what the site is doing, isn't doing and what is needed to get ahead of the competition or indeed target new terms. And then the work starts...

Best of luck but I do hope the clients you're dealing with aren't charged full whack whilst you're learning.
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by YoFluffy
    Call me a cynic but I could think of two agencies you work for - both of whom charge through the nose for services then farm projects off to staff who really don't have much of a clue. Caveat emptor and all that I guess.

A good starting point is to read this forum back to front as well as renowned SEO blogs. Acquaint yourself with tools such as Opensiteexplorer, SEMRush, Ahrefs and more. Analysis is a good start so you can determine what the site is doing, isn't doing and what is needed to get ahead of the competition or indeed target new terms. And then the work starts...

Best of luck but I do hope the clients you're dealing with aren't charged full whack whilst you're learning.
    Thanks alot YoFluffy for your help I really appreciate it.v
    btw, the client won't be charged anything until 2 months so it's okay at the moment
  11. No Profile Picture

Hmm you are promoted and you didn't know about the things how it goes. Firstly Increase your self confidence. You didn't clarify much what you know about the SEO than according to it ask for the advice. As you say you good at Google Analytics and webmaster tools so go through it and prepare a report as you can get idea about from which keywords the traffic is coming and according to your project set the target to get the ROI.
  13. Agency SEO

Originally Posted by 2b4u2
    Thank you Test-ok for your reply
    Without going into details, let's just say that I'm forced to do this job
    OMG that's terrible. Where are you? Are you tied up? Maybe we can organize a rescue!

Sorry dude, you know nothing of SEO and you can't learn it in a forum thread.

Comments on this post

• my3boys agrees : Made me chuckle..
  15. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by danielbaum
    Hmm you are promoted and you didn't know about the things how it goes. Firstly Increase your self confidence. You didn't clarify much what you know about the SEO than according to it ask for the advice. As you say you good at Google Analytics and webmaster tools so go through it and prepare a report as you can get idea about from which keywords the traffic is coming and according to your project set the target to get the ROI.
    Thanks Daniel, I already do that, I just want to know is there anything else that's being done beside this ??
    or is there any other tasks that should be done and will help me ??
  17. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    OMG that's terrible. Where are you? Are you tied up? Maybe we can organize a rescue!

Sorry dude, you know nothing of SEO and you can't learn it in a forum thread.
    South Africa, And yes if I quit the position I'll be quiting my job
    And yes I know nothing about this SEO, what SEO stands for again???
  19. No Profile Picture

Guys don't disappoint him
    Encourage him to learn something.
    This is subject where there is a continuous learning.
  21. SEO Since 97

You don't hire on as a mechanic with no experience
    you don't hire on as a surgeon with no experience
    you don't hire on as a lawyer with no experience
    why this job is exempt I don't know.
    It's not really 2b4u2 fault, the project manager that promoted him sounds like he/she don't know what their doing as well.
  23. No Profile Picture

Thank you all so much for your replies
  25. Philip@SearchBenefit.com
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by 2b4u2
    Hello,
    I want some help here concerning SEO team leard's tasks.
    My project manager promoted me to team leader to handle a customer's project, that's a good thing
    The worst is that I don't how to do a team leader tasks.
    What I was doing was submission and content writing and all this beginner's things, Now I'm supposed to collect data and analyze it to determine how to increase traffic, short and simple, Create a strategy.

To make it easier for you I'll mention my problems in points:
    1- What data I should be extracting or focus on (is it bounce rate, back links, social activity ... ???)
    2- How to put this data into use
    3- How can I work on the results

Just 2 things I want to mention
    *-* My team leader was transferred to the other branch so I have no one to ask for an advice.
    *-* I'm very good using Google Analytics and webmaster tools.

Thank you so much and I'd really appreciate your help.
    You situation seems intriguingly desperate, so let me give you some tips on how to go about saving your butt in this job without running the Website into the ground. IMHO, you can either hire and SEO or become one. Hiring is tricky, since you don't know anything and don't know what to look for. So I suggest you become an SEO, quickly. Here is how to start and minimize your chances of failure. (Note: This can only work if you have a high iq.)

On your way to becoming and SEO pro, tell your employer that you are starting with a research an analysis stage. One month, you do nothing but research and analysis. This is perfectly legitimate.

In that month, do the following:
    1. Buy this book:
    http://www.amazon.com/Search-Engine-...dp/1118336852/
    I haven't read this edition, but I reviewed the previous edition some years ago and it wasn't at all bad. Peter Kent is a smart techy guy, his info is good. If you have brains you'll be able to absorb the book in a few days. The one you want to graduate to after that is this: The Art of SEO (Theory in Practice): Eric Enge, Stephan Spencer, Jessie Stricchiola, Rand Fishkin: 9781449304218: Amazon.com: Books. Also read recent (2013) posts on moz.com and other reputable sites (e.g seobook.com).
    2. Read these stickies:
    http://forums.seochat.com/google-opt...nd-470115.html
    Dead SEO Techniques or How Not to Get a Negative Reputation on SEOchat
    3. You say you are proficient with Analytics. Figure out how the data there is relevant to SEO. Google rankings bring visitors that convert. Set goals, see the keywords that convert. Those will be some of your relevant keywords. I mean, the relevance of Analytics and Webmaster Tools data to your work should be obvious, or it will soon become so. Analytics practically writes your reports for you.
    4. If the site is currently running AdWords, insist on access to it. (It's a big mine of keyword data, you can see which keywords are relevant and converting.) If the site is not running AdWords, insist that they should. AdWords is the best way to test keywords safely and cheaply. (You could start learning that here: Google AdWords For Dummies: Howie Jacobson, Kristie McDonald: 9781118115619: Amazon.com: Books but be careful of taking in too much too quickly, better focus on SEO first.) For your purpose you don't need to learn to manage AdWords, just to understand the keyword conversion data in it.
    5. In the course of the month, as you are learning, put together a site review (the literature will tell you more about it, and indeed there are free templates you can see online). Remember that there is a site review subforum in SEOchat where you can sometimes get substantial expert help. Try your best to put an excellent report for your employer within a month. It should include a detailed list of immediate action items (improvements to the site) and a longer term plan.
    6. In the course of the same month, learn as much as as you can about keyword analysis. Combine that with a marketing analysis to create a content development strategy for the coming months. Understand that content is the backbone of SEO. (There are also links but that's much more tricky, don't rush that.)
    7. Once you have taken all these steps, in a month you will have a much better idea how to proceed. Come to SEOchat frequently with intelligent questions (there is no better SEO forum).

Don't despair! With dedication, SEO can be learnt and done.
    Last edited by PhilipSEO; Oct 19th, 2013 at 06:46 PM.
  27. Agency SEO

It saddens me to see that even experienced forum members -- even moderators! -- often fail to identify such sockpuppetry as spam and reply to those questions in earnest.

Respected forum members who wasted their time replying to the original poster, please Google this phrase:
    "I want some help here concerning SEO team leard's tasks."

All his posts are replicated across dozens of forums.

It's spam. Don't respond, report!

Comments on this post

• PhilipSEO agrees : And praise him who showed the way!
    Last edited by KernelPanic; Oct 20th, 2013 at 06:06 AM.
  29. No Profile Picture

if you are promoted to such a post you must be capable of doing this job. otherwise honestly tell the boss I am not able to handle such responsibility at earlier stage of my career. If your company is on emergency to hire a team leader. Tell boss to recruit one.
    You cannot go long way if you dont know anything about the job or your profession.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: