1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Angry SEO site review help. Can't beat Kijjiji!

Hi all,

So i have tought myself SEO over the years as i have worked in digital marketing. A few years ago i quit the rat race and started a wood mill. Over the last 3 years my site has gained ranking and organic traffic topping out at around 4k organic visits a month. A few months ago i relaunched my site but the site wasn't coded very well. By the time i realized what was happening and fixed the issues my traffic tanked. My biggest keywords are:

Live Edge Wood
    Wood Slabs
    Live Edge Tables
    Live Edge Countertops
    Live Edge Lumber

My issue is that i went from being the first 3 links to being the 4-7 (for my top keyword Live Edge Wood). Nothing i do seems to put me above the 1-3 Kijiji links for that serch term... damn KIJIJI!

If you guys who have more experience in this could take a look at my website and provide feedback or suggestions. www.woodslabs.ca

Also is it worth to post on social media like reddit and pintrest to get traffic? My business is mostly local so traffic from around the world is kind of useless but i'm not sure if google takes into account social media referral traffic in its organic algorithm

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS: I plan to have a new page for live edge tables as soon as my woodshop is up and running.
    Last edited by Hikin Mike; Jul 29th, 2017 at 08:49 PM. Reason: removed link
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Hey Mate

It's a directory site that has done the work of ranking for those terms.

First I would check out their web presence. But just from first glance they appear to be a directory site doing classifieds advertising of sites. With out an in depth look at them, be hard to say if they are a spam directory or not.

But they appear ok, if they don't check out as ok then do not do this.
    "based on the aspect if they are ok "
    I would get account with them for the possible link to your site, be it a no follow link it will still drive traffic to you and you could then forget about beating them in the serps for those keyword terms, have them list you instead.
  5. No Profile Picture

I plan to buy some paid adds with a link and see how that goes. Do you have any suggestions about my site with regards to SEO changes?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hey mate, before I would spend any money..... here is your rankings as far as I can tell.
    Be very careful buying any links, it that is what you meant when you said paid ads with links. Even tho the traffic is low from these terms , around 10k a month, Google is reporting them as highly competitive.

I would use a more up-to-date theme and not change anything till the new theme was installed, meaning keep your current url structure and content the same. With a new theme you may see CTR increase. Go after some reviews, get them listed and they can push your site up some, maybe even enough to over come your that directory you have set as a goal.
    Also notice you have a couple of pages competing for the same words, this may be something you want to look into.
  9. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I would create sub pages under Wood Slabs and name them
    Live Edge Wood
    Live Edge Tables
    Live Edge Countertops
    Live Edge Lumber
    and describe each one in detail.

I would also add some blogs in your blog section about the as well and then create an internal link to the corresponding page.

Your IBL (In bound links) are weak (not very many) but your link profile is in good shape, diversity wise. Don't use your key word phrases as anchor text on IBL, let your site do that with internal links, which is why I mentioned the above sub pages. Use anchor text IBL as 'read more' 'view site' 'click here' etc. (if and when you have that control over the anchor text)

Comments on this post

• KnowOneSpecial agrees : Most forget that concept
    Last edited by Test-ok; Jul 30th, 2017 at 10:20 PM.
  11. No Profile Picture

Why do you suggest to not use the keyword phrases as anchor texts on IBL?
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by SenorSteak
    Why do you suggest to not use the keyword phrases as anchor texts on IBL?
    The short answer....
    Over use of keyword rich anchors on IBLs can lead to a penalty, because most folks that link to you naturally will not use your money words and Google knows this.
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Aug 10th, 2017 at 05:23 AM. Reason: spelling correction