1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question SEO - Is it Rigged ?

Hey guys,

I'm trying to optimize my SEO (as we all do). I optimized my onsite SEO, fixing every type of on-site issues (SEMrush + Majestic + other tools) and making a thorough investigation on the "best" set of keywords for my pages (competition analysis+behavioral analysis+internal data). As always, it's an ongoing process, but I'm getting the result I was expecting (higher traffic,CTR,CR + Lower bounce rate). Anyway, now I need to get more backlinks/ref. domains. Looking at my competitors backlinks I found some weird stuff.
    -My competitors seem to get visibility from parked domains (a whole lot of them). I know it's bad practice, but they still manage capitalize on that (maybe they create a chain 1 parked to another to their site, maybe they do some kind of rotation, idk).
    -Some of the domains with the highest trust flow referring to their domain are not even optimized, mobile friendly, doesn't even have title tag and usually rank in the top 3000 worldwide on alexa and majestic. (at least 30 of those)
    Example: This is one of the domain ---> http://www.waw.pl/ (they have a lot of backlinks, but I doubt it's legit/active websites)

I need to get thousands of backlinks to get even with my competitors. I'm trying to do Whitehat SEO, but I can't keep up with the competition if blackhat behavior are rewarded.

What I've done so far to get backlinks/ref.dom.:
    -Ask for reviews
    -Guest blogging
    -Deadlink hunting on blog
    -Directory
    -SlideShare and all of these kind of website
    -Clients Referral
    -Partnerships
    -Events
    -PR
    -Social Networks
    -Creative Common content
    -Infographics
    -and much more

Do you guys have some ideas for me? Is this game completely rigged?

Thanks,

Not Matt Cutts
    Last edited by Not Matt Cutts; Mar 7th, 2017 at 01:33 PM.
  3. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

You dont say what your niche is and how far you want to push things into the grey / black area of this world.

I dont often get drawn into black hat techniques but as your struggling I will give you some ideas but bear in mind they can also backfire on you so please bear that in mind.

If your willing to take a risk and go against guidlines then you could setup landing pages geo targeted large towns or cities. This works really well for searches when a town is expressed in the query. Google dont like it though if your detected but the pages tend to be easy to rank. So its risky but depends on how far you are willing to push it.

Buy some expired domains and point them at a sub domain on your website for the keyword your targeting. so lets say "red widgets"
    Create 2 sub domains
    red.yourdomain.com
    widgits.yourdomain.com

Buy expired domains that were about red or widgets and put a wordpress site on each sub domain and focus just on that single word. Somewhere on this sub domain add a few links to your main money site.
    If caught remove sub domain.

repeat for each word you want to rank for.

Think I will stop at that as I just know someone is going to do it wholesale then come back later and say your advice trashed my site.

But to answer your question if it rigged, well sort of, have a read of this post and it might give you some ideas of why its rigged.
    How 16 Companies are Dominating the World’s Google Search Results

Comments on this post

• Pierre Benneton agrees : Always love seeing this great research about World (Wide Web) Domination popping out.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare
  5. Contributing User

This article is on point!

I want to keep this vague, but I'm in the hosting industry. We've invested too much in advertising (all form) to start with blackhat seo, like you said, it can trash my site (I am fully aware of that).

Thanks for your feedback.
  7. Dinosaur

Yeap if your in it for the long haul the 2 options I posted are not for you, it can only end in 1 way.
    The biggest issue I face and you by the sound of it is the huge page rank competitors can throw at a ranking problem. We keep hearing how google is reducing how links effect ranking but in all honesty I have not seen any evidence of it.

Comments on this post

• Not Matt Cutts agrees
  9. Contributing User

That's exactly my thought
  11. Dinosaur

However we can all bitch about how unfair it all is but there are ways you can fight back without resorting to blackhat techniques.
    We hear all the time about longtail keywords and you would be forgiven if your fed up to the back teeth of being told keyword research blah blah blah. However these phrases are not something the big boys tend to go after, ok they may vacume up a large amount but there is normally still plenty left for the little guy. I tend to refer to these as low hanging fruit as they tend to be easier to rank for and gain some traffic.

Have a read of the experimental site myself and thomas harvey have put together Awesome SEO experiment by our members! That site is totaly built on long tail keywords and is well on target to reach 1 million users in its first year. Its a long term project as running tests cant be measured in a few weeks. If you have access to check backlinks you will see there is hardly any and because we are not going after highly competitive terms it does not require huge amounts of page rank.

If you want further reading I also did a follow up post regarding duplicate content and how much of a myth it is in reality Duplicate content myth
  13. Contributing User

You're right, we can achieve tremendous results with long tail keywords. They can be particularly useful for PPC campaigns (you can get conversion at a fraction of the price) and SEO. I've achieved the same kind of results, nearly 1 million visitor in the first year for my blog. Thanks for your input. Appreciated
  15. Contributing User

Hello All,

What I understand do not go for any black hat technique as it will ultimately get caught then you can suffer a lot.
    Keep patience.
    Instead of doing junk of link building first ensure and and understand the importance of off-page SEO (link buliding )has deteriorated a lot.
    Jut focus on your site internal architecture,mobile friendliness,improve UX of the website.May be start your blog and publish content regularly.

keep doing these things and believe me it will work.I am not an expert but I am practical
    Last edited by smkghosh; Mar 8th, 2017 at 01:47 AM.
  17. Entrepreneur
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

Jut focus on your site internal architecture,mobile friendliness,improve UX of the website.May be start your blog and publish content regularly.
    No no, please read Chadders reply
    We keep hearing how google is reducing how links effect ranking but in all honesty I have not seen any evidence of it.
    and
    Have a read of the experimental site myself and thomas harvey have put together Awesome SEO experiment by our members! That site is totaly built on long tail keywords and is well on target to reach 1 million users in its first year. Its a long term project as running tests cant be measured in a few weeks. If you have access to check backlinks you will see there is hardly any and because we are not going after highly competitive terms it does not require huge amounts of page rank.
    You do your business I do mine because you are you and I am I If we meet it is nice.
  19. Not An Expert
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

I suspect this may be a popular topic, so I'm going to move it to our Search Engine Optimization section for better exposure.

Send me a PM if anyone has trouble posting here. After threads are moved, vBulletin sometimes (rarely) freaks out a little.
  21. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

If you spend a little time you can find human maintained and edited directories. Not saying that they all carry weight, but some do in Google's eyes. I add sites to these types of directories, because of the fact they are human maintained and its not easy to get a link from them.

So spend some of your time hunting out these types of directories and then submit to them. Still do your research on the site first, make sure its not a crap site, some human edited sites are still crap. Weed them out and you can get some fair to not bad links ....
  23. Entrepreneur
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

I know there is not any pre-define module for generating backlinks for your site you should read Where do you find your link opportunities? from here you can get some stuff and you can apply in your SEOing as suites you.
  25. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by Not Matt Cutts
    I want to keep this vague, but I'm in the hosting industry. We've invested too much in advertising (all form) to start with blackhat seo, like you said, it can trash my site...
    Something just occurred to me. Create your own affiliate product on say commission junction, or click bank. Offer a high referrer fee on sales of hosting. It may work for you. Not knowing much other about your situation.
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Mar 15th, 2017 at 07:32 PM.