1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

SEO & Rebranding

Hi,

Can anyone tell me the advantages or disadvantages of rebranding on search engine traffic. For instance, if you have a website that generates 100K visits a day- would it be an advantage or disadvantage to change to a better brand name? What is the impact, if any? I am guessing that a 301 redirect should carry all the weighting?

Any expert knowledge appreciated...
  3. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

I am assuming in the rebranding exercise you will be using a new domain name?

Personally I think for Organic Search Engine traffic there is almost no bennefit in rebranding.
    A users sees a result and clicks on it. They pay very little attention to the URL at the bottom of the individual SERP.

Further more if you were to use a new domain name a 301 would be the way to go but you would definately loose some traffic and the authority of the original domain.

If you are getting 100K visitors a day - DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING!

Comments on this post

• Roa agrees
  5. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Actually if you have 100K a day that means you have some sort of brand in existence already. Brand is single handedly the most important elements of online marketing because it cannot be duplicated and sits as one of the few competitive advantages you can posses online. Very few SEO s will tell you that because very few SEO s are competent marketers, they can only do some clever things online.