Thread: SEO Questions

1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

SEO Questions

I have been doing some minor SEO work on my site for a little while. I have found much of the information here to be very valuable, and am attempting to take my skills to the next level. I have a few questions though.

When creating a backlinks would it be a good idea to have a title or alt tag included in the link back to my site? Many of the sites i have visted asking for reciprocal links do not include these tags in their own perfered link.

With reciprocal linking, if site 1 places a link to a page on site 2 that has the link back to the home page on site 1 will there be less of a value created by the anchor text link on site 2 with this link if instead site 1 links to the home page of site 2 allowing the spider to find the reciprocal link back to site 1?

Will creating a descriptive directory structure through out my site, ie placing all tutorial pages in site.com/tutorial/ instead of leaving most of my sites pages in the root directory help to boost the ranking of these pages? I have noticed alot of high ranking sites do this, but I have never read anywhere of it being a ranking benifit.

Is there any tool that can calculate the average searches for specfic keywords that google recieves? I have been using the overture keyword tool to help find less competitive keywords to start out with, and I am assuming that keyword popularity should be similar, but that google will receive more searchs per month for any given keyword. The key phrases I have selected have around 20k monthly searchs on overture, and only 15k of results when searched in quotations on google, with the top ranking sites being PR 5-4 range. Do these numbers sound like good starting points?
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Smile

With reciprocal linking, if site 1 places a link to a page on site 2 that has the link back to the home page on site 1 will there be less of a value created by the anchor text link on site 2 with this link if instead site 1 links to the home page of site 2 allowing the spider to find the reciprocal link back to site 1?

Maybe I am slow but I can't for the life of me figure out what you are asking?:-?

Will creating a descriptive directory structure through out my site, ie placing all tutorial pages in site.com/tutorial/ instead of leaving most of my sites pages in the root directory help to boost the ranking of these pages? I have noticed alot of high ranking sites do this, but I have never read anywhere of it being a ranking benifit.

I couldn't answer that but I keep my files in directories just because its less cluttered and easier for me to keep it organized.

Is there any tool that can calculate the average searches for specfic keywords that google recieves? I have been using the overture keyword tool to help find less competitive keywords to start out with, and I am assuming that keyword popularity should be similar, but that google will receive more searchs per month for any given keyword. The key phrases I have selected have around 20k monthly searchs on overture, and only 15k of results when searched in quotations on google, with the top ranking sites being PR 5-4 range. Do these numbers sound like good starting points?

I don't know the answer to that one either but if you think google gets more searches why don't you use adwords. I used it for a few months and it really made a difference. I couldn't afford overture. Adwords is nice because you can set your budget and you can pause your campaign at any time. I had a lot of good results with it.
  5. No Profile Picture

That link questions is a bit confusing What I mean is if two pages on two different sites link to each other, will google lower the value of each link than if say the two sites linked to each others home page instead.

I am using adwords now, but my keywords are highly competitive. I am having to pay 20-35 cents per click, and my average profit is 17 dollars. I manage to do ok with this, but i only get 30-50 clicks per day. needless to say I think a #1 spot on a term that does 20k searchs a month will be an improvement.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

somepeople say it's better not to do reciprocal link,needless to say you let the two pages link each other.

overture tool and word tracker can both be used as reference to estimate searches in google.

adwords, 0.25-0.35 is not highly competitive, some one said they earn $16 from adsense one click. but of course if you can get free traffic, you can earn more
  9. No Profile Picture
    Veteran SEOCHAT Member
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

non-reciprical links are always much more valuable...

Try to aquire links with webmasters that have multiple sites...

this way you can link to a site from yours and he can link to another one of your sites....

and most people don't ask for there specific anchor text mearly because they just don't realize how important it is....

seo is a tight market field and not many people know about it, let alone understand how it works....
    -
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by mike25
    Is there any tool that can calculate the average searches for specfic keywords that google recieves?
    We'll have one in 60 days. Email me if you'd like to see it before we launch it.

AdGooroo
  13. Banned

SEO rankings on google / yahoo

I understand google and yahoo have a page ranking system. I am new to this whole webdesign thing and I am having trouble getting my website http://www.bargainfindsonebay.com/ listed on the majors. I am not the best designer but I need some help/ideas regarding how to get ranked for the terms, digital cameras, sony digital cameras, sony cybershot, and canon digital cameras. Any help you could give me might help. Thanks, as well do you know any good tools to find what keywords your website might be ranked at for what keywords on google/yahoo. By this I mean a tool that finds a keyword that your website is being listed under on the major search engines. Again any advise would help me. Thanks again. This html stuff isn't for me.

Best Regards,
    Cheers,http://www.bargainfindsonebay.com/
    Last edited by bargainfinds; Sep 27th, 2004 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Link