Thread: SEO Queries

1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

SEO Queries

SEO Queries

1.Can we have keywords on a page with a hidden element or an element of maybe size 1 pixel, so that without affecting the UI, we can insert the relevant keywords?

2.Do links in flyout menus and links on a web page have any significance difference for a search crawler?

3.We understand the importance of having Meta keywords, description and relevant URL’s; what are the general guidelines one needs to make note of at the time of development?

4.Does nested site structure plays important role in SEO?

5.Technical advice on website development: for example, hosting, redirects, error pages, use of JavaScript etc

6.Does the use of features such as JavaScript, cookies, session IDs, frames, DHTML, or Flash does have any impact on SEO?

7.How do I test my site for SEO compliance? Is there any tool available for this?

8.Can search engines index dynamic sites with? and = (query strings) in the URL? i.e. URLs that look different but actually point to the same page?

9.What should we do/what are the guidelines in order to make our ASP.NET application as spider and search engine friendly as possible?
  3. No Profile Picture

1. I wouldn't do this. Would be in fear of a Google penalty.

2. My advice would be to keep the links as simple static links.

3. In terms of title tag, meta description and meta keywords. I would advise having unique data for all pages.

4. In terms of nested site structure if you mean sub sites. I would keep it as a single site as it is easier to get one site ranking rather than quite a few.

5. Hosting site in the country you want the site to rank, 301 redirects (not 302), may aswell have a custom error page (404). Google always innovating and can now crawl textual content in flash files. Keep updated for the latest developments.

6. Yes - Frames are a no no. Sessions IDs can be a problem as show different URLs for same content.

7. Best tool to use is the Spider simulator. There is one here at SEOchat.

8. Yes search engines can index dynamic sites. Be consistant with urls so the same page doesnt have 2 urls.

9. Try it on the spider simulator.

Comments on this post

• paratroll agrees : good advice.
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Excellent advice there, I would disagree on a couple of things, but they are minor.

3. Meta keywords are useless, I wouldn't bother with them at all, meta description can be useful but it's better if the content comes from the page. Page title though is very important.

8. Dynamic pages can be spidered, but are not given the same credibility as static pages (you can remedy that with URL rewrites). I try to stick to static ones as much as possible.

These last point are not a difference of opinion, just my viewpoint.

6. Stay away from javascript links, as although the links do appear to be being spidered, it looks like they are being spidered as "nofollow" links. Flash is being spidered by Google and Yahoo, but I have no idea what sort of value it is being given.

7. If you mean test to see if your site is search engine friendly, the best test is seeing how it fares in the rankings. Nothing beats the actual search results as a test.

9. http://www.rankquest.com/tools/Lynx-View.php is how I test my sites to make sure they appear okay.
    Last edited by paratroll; Sep 17th, 2008 at 10:36 AM.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Seo

Does the use of features such as JavaScript, cookies, session IDs, frames, DHTML, or Flash does have any impact on SEO?

Yes and the impact is generally bad

Never use JavaScript or frames they are useless for SEO