1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

SEO and Onsite Sales Conversations - who's responsible?

I have a situation with a client that asked me to optimize a legacy website. The website is now 4 months into the optimization and has shown improvement in the rankings with over 40 keyword phrases using Agent Web Ranking. The phrases are relevant and targeted to their products and services.

For example on what the industry is, it's an agency website that represents Matt Damon, Robert DiNiro, etc...The agency makes money if their client get a booking.

The problem I face is that the site in the past and even today still produces a lot of email queries still asking for free autographs or people saying they know Matt D and please forward the email to him etc, etc.

So even though I increased site traffic using keyword phrases such as, "book matt damon celebrity appearances" and the website content screams that it's a booking agency, my client feels the SEO has failed because the legitimate email leads hasn't gone through the roof.

BTW -- Phone pops from a website is an important to recognize too but this client thinks it's all email generated.

From my viewpoint, SEO is like offline marketing. You identify your audience, create the message targeting the audience, create a reason to call (click) and once the phone rings or the front door opens, it's now a sales department responsibility.

So what's the viewpoint out there on how far a SE Optimizer should be responsible for onsite conversions of leads generated when using proper SEO, using the right messaging, having the right content, etc... that the client agreed to from the beginning?

One last point. If the legacy website design and content is out of the SEO'ers control (you can recommend to client to update but if they don't), how much of the sales conversion burden should be on the SEO'ers shoulders?

Thank you.

Nevets
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

SEO is responsible for getting quality relevant search engine traffic.

SEO is not responsible for sales generated through a website since there are numerous aspects that SEO doesn't touch:
    - design;
    - usability;
    - prices;
    - reliability of the company
    etc.

Of course SEO traffic is the best, but if other factors suck, SE Optimization is useless.

Comments on this post

• rmccarley agrees : SEO is all about getting good placement in the SERPs and that is all.
  5. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by WiseSEO
    SEO is not responsible for sales generated through a website since there are numerous aspects that SEO doesn't touch:
    - design;
    - usability;
    - prices;
    - reliability of the company
    The maid who "Don't do windows" will not last long on the job and will have a hard time getting a new job once she is let go.

IMO you might consider becoming expert in some of these other fields as it will increase your potential income. A good SEO should know at least something about design and usability and not say "Not my job". Prices and reliability are not your job.. but design and usability are all part of something called "improving websites". IMO the best SEOs improve websites in addition to getting rankings.
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  7. SEO Earthquake!
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

I agree. I started as a graphic designer that got into web design way back when NN3 was the rage. Since then I've got into advertising, customer service, PR (the news kind), marketing and now SEO.

I understand the value of all these things and use them all to some degree on every project. Imagine being able to create the concept, build, test, and implement the site from begining through... whenever you feel like quiting. I have customers that I've held onto for years because the sites I build are effective in multiple fronts including SEO, customer service, asthetic appeal, "coolness", conversions, accesability, promotion, branding, and other special needs.

Master one, but learn them all. You become much more valueable (and employable).
    14th Colony: The hardest working websites online!

Looking for links? Join the Union and don't miss English Grammar rules, tips and explanations
  9. No Profile Picture

SEO and Sales Conversions

Thank you for your replies.

I agree that "if" you have control over the sites look and feel, usability and content, you can influence the visitors behavior once they found the site through a search engine.

I'll state my case in another example. If your design a new site, have excellent content that screams, "hire Matt Damon for your next corporate event," you write PPC ads that state, "book matt damon for your next golf toruney," and your keyword phrases are targeting event planners, conference meeting organizers, etc...

Then the site gets 100 email leads with 99 asking for Matt Damons autograph and 1 lead is legitimate.

Is that the SEO'ers fault? Web designers fault? Copy Editors fault?

Everybodies fault?

In my opinion, the SEO'er has no control if random people click a PPC ad or reads the organic listing description that clearly doesn't state (using my example here) "Click Here and Get Matt Damons Free Autograpgh."

I guess if I was hired to do that for the SEO engagment, I would be the hero.

Thank you.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Maybe you should add a note saying that you will not forward any emails to the actors, and that the site is for booking purposes only.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo