1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question SEO news Podcast - opinions please

I'm considering starting a podcast which rounds up all the news in the SEO world.
    I've been looking for a podcast like this for a while but can't seem to find one.

I'd be interested in knowing your thoughts specifically:
    1. Would you listen to it? (If not, what would be putting you off?)
    2. How long do you think it should be? (5, 10, 15, 30, 60 minutes)
    3. How regularly do you think it should be produced (daily, weekly, bi-weekly)?
    4. Any specific things would you like to see covered?

Thanks in advance.

SBF
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

You have a lot of competition in this arena. You will have to compete with SEj, SEW, and a slew of other respected sites that are already active in this.

Is your target audience beginners or journeymen of SEO ? There is a difference between these people. You will have very little to offer the Professional, but a lot to the apprentice.

Have you developed sources for the latest SEO news ?

1. Would I listen to it....
    Maybe if you had enough traction as an authority in SEO.

2. How long do I think it should be....
    Most SEO webinars I attend are generally 1 hr long. Podcast on the other hand, cover a specific need / niche, so take as much time as needed to cover the topic in depth and provide a beneficial answer..

3. How regularly should you produce your podcast...
    I attend probably 3 or 4 webinars a month on average all from different sources, maybe twice a month from SEJ sometimes. A podcast isn't interactive and doesn't field questions like a webinar. Don't put yourself under stress, start with a monthly schedule at first. This will allow you enough time to put a quality podcast together. Then as time go on, if the need arises, increase your frequency of production.

4. Any specific things I would like covered....
    I would like to see topics that cover the holes in SEO knowledge. If this seems like a cryptic answer, you will probably not acquire viewers like myself.
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; May 17th, 2019 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Spelling correction
    If you have never failed in your life, you have never achieved anything Noteworthy !
  5. Moderator
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

They way I found this forum was through a podcast - doesn't SEOChat have or had a podcast?
  7. Contributing User

Hi both,

Thanks for your feedback.

Originally Posted by KnowOneSpecial
    You have a lot of competition in this arena. You will have to compete with SEj, SEW, and a slew of other respected sites that are already active in this.
    This is true. Although the format I have envisioned is quite different from these in a few ways.

Is your target audience beginners or journeymen of SEO ? There is a difference between these people. You will have very little to offer the Professional, but a lot to the apprentice.
    A little of both to be honest. Mainly for those with an interest in SEO / PPC / SM etc.
    Definitely NOT beginners and definitely NOT "experts" (defining experts as those that have run complex multi-faceted SEO campaigns for Enterprise businesses).

Have you developed sources for the latest SEO news ?
    Yes and these would be cited in the podcast itself

1. Would I listen to it....
    Maybe if you had enough traction as an authority in SEO.
    Totally understandable. What would qualify someone as an authority iyo?

2. How long do I think it should be....
    Most SEO webinars I attend are generally 1 hr long. Podcast on the other hand, cover a specific need / niche, so take as much time as needed to cover the topic in depth and provide a beneficial answer..
    Again, different format really. TBH I'm looking at <10 minutes.

3. How regularly should you produce your podcast...
    I attend probably 3 or 4 webinars a month on average all from different sources, maybe twice a month from SEJ sometimes. A podcast isn't interactive and doesn't field questions like a webinar. Don't put yourself under stress, start with a monthly schedule at first. This will allow you enough time to put a quality podcast together. Then as time go on, if the need arises, increase your frequency of production.
    Thank you, good tip!

4. Any specific things I would like covered....
    I would like to see topics that cover the holes in SEO knowledge. If this seems like a cryptic answer, you will probably not acquire viewers like myself.
    This strikes me as cryptic in so far as the hoes in whose knowledge? General public? SEOs? Managers? etc or holes in industry knowledge such as "How rankbrain works?"

Again, thanks for the feedback I really appreciate it.
  9. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

Originally Posted by DirectHits
    They way I found this forum was through a podcast - doesn't SEOChat have or had a podcast?
    Before my time here, maybe, I honestly don't know.

Originally Posted by sirbassface
    This strikes me as cryptic in so far as the hoes in whose knowledge? General public? SEOs? Managers? etc or holes in industry knowledge such as "How rankbrain works?"
    I spend at least 60 hours a month just doing research on Marketing. How to get more traffic for my clients, etc., etc.. Which application of schema to use to promote a web page to page 1 of the serps. Things of this nature. Suffice to say, I am not looking info on how to optimize a page title, or description, or h tags.

You need to define your target audience. Then cater to them with your podcast. It is up to you to decide if you will target beginners, interns, professionals, or team managers.

Only you know your level of skill.
  11. Contributing User

Before my time here, maybe, I honestly don't know.

I spend at least 60 hours a month just doing research on Marketing. How to get more traffic for my clients, etc., etc.. Which application of schema to use to promote a web page to page 1 of the serps. Things of this nature. Suffice to say, I am not looking info on how to optimize a page title, or description, or h tags.

You need to define your target audience. Then cater to them with your podcast. It is up to you to decide if you will target beginners, interns, professionals, or team managers.

Only you know your level of skill.
    Ha ha! No I wasn't planning on explaining what meta-titles and descriptions are
    Thanks again. Appreciate the feedback.