1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

SEO The Dark Art

It appears to me that SEO is a complete dark art, I have spent the last year working on a number of sites, the Main one being car99 dot net

I started by looking at the various SEO check lists trying to optimise my pages

Adding H1 tags
    Including keywords in the URL
    Putting keywords in the bar at the top of page
    Putting keywords in the body of the text
    Ensuring I use unique content (spend hours per day after work writing)
    Yet I get nowhere 10 hits per day 500 pages in Google, the only traffic I get is when i add to DIGG or other social sites

I know getting links is a big part of it but why would sites in my sector like to link to me

On another point there are some good SEO on this site, it would be cool if we could reward those who help others at the moment i am not in a position to pay for SEO (I tried and paid out 600 and got nothing of value)

Maybe a points scheme where I can add what i know and in return get help in areas i am not so strong, just an idea
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

some tips

I just visited your website and it has quite a bit of issues.

The first thing that caught my attention were your AdSense ads, very unprofessional in my opinion. You must understand that developing a website is a process. Normally how it works is: first you build credibility and traffic, then you monetize on what you have created. Your ads make the site look unprofessional and desperate and considering you're only getting 10 visitors a day, you can't be earning much if anything. So remove those ads and remember, that without even a small investment, it is very difficult to be succesful.

Another issue is that you have a host of missing title and description tags, while many others are duplicated. It is quite a simple matter and I suggest your sort it out. Having these things right helps the bots index your page and provide more value to the visitor.

Yet another thing I noticed is that your 'About Us' pages are missing. Make it a point to create them and fill with engaging content.

With regards to links, try starting out with a few free quality directories such as DMOZ. Visit Directory Critic for a list. You can also follow a few other car blogs and arrange for a few link exchanges.

I'd also suggest implementing tools to enable people to use sites like delicious.com, digg.com, reddit etc...to add social value to your site.

Finally, with regards to the points scheme you suggested, its really not needed as the point of forums is for people to help each other out.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I agree with everything Jeff said. I would also note that if you want to build links long term you need to offer reasons for other sites to link to you. Put some fresh content on there. Its not easy, its is hard work, but that's why everybody doesn't do it.

Also, look at the keywords you are targeting, I always start trying to rank for the long tail keywords and move into more general. Get the low hanging fruit first.

A third idea is to do a search for one of your keywords and see the top twenty results. If any of these have a blog comment on it with useful, relevant information and include a link back to your site in your signature. As long as you are adding to the conversation no one will accuse you of link spam.

Good luck
  7. No Profile Picture

Thanks

Good comments

I will take them on board and try to work them in
  9. B afraid.. B very afraid!
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    Originally Posted by jimster
    ...try to work them in
    SEO is not a dark art. It is hard creative work where shortcuts and laziness return nothing. The sites that succede WORK AT IT. They do not identify problems and then "... try to work them in". They fix them.
    ...Never mistake activity for achievement...

...Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it....
    Benjamin Franklin