1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

SEO Crisis - Do we leave our seo company?

Hiya,

I'm the web developer for a site which we outsource all our seo to a uk company. (1100 a month) But since google released some updates in the last week of November 2012 we have dropped to the bottom of the first page for all our major keywords. (We were either 1st, 2nd, or 3rd before the update).

Now looking at the November report on what they did for that month they did -

Wrote 1 article and posted it to 5 article sites,
    Posted 25 unique links to our site from other sites
    Wrote a dozen social networking posts with links to the article or sites
    Submitted our site to 25 directories
    Wrote 15 half page guides for contextual links

Is that worth the money we are paying them? If we move away from them would we loose all the link building/article work they have done for us?

We have already tried to increase the natural content on our site and write blogs but I was just wondering if anybody can give they views on what we should do?

Cheers
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Its matter of success of links so if the links are not natural then it’s just wasting of your money however in case if you getting sale from those links then no matter few links are magic for your site. But as you mentioned about directory and social bookmarking and other task do not seems to be sales effective task. Now links building like a magic that should be implement with in volunteer way not forcing way.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

brendzer,
    I think you need to have a serious (possibly paid) consultation with at least a couple of other SEO companies / professionals. There is a lot of information missing from your post that they would be able to determine given the right access.

You should also ask the SEO company you have currently what specific steps they plan to take to restore your rankings. They should be able to answer that and you should show that plan to the companies / people you are consulting with.

25 directories = useless
    I don't even know what a 1/2 page guide for a contextual link is but I bet the quality/specifics matter
    Social networking posts? Did they suck? are they no-follow links? Are they on prominent blogs? are you seeing direct traffic from them?
    25 links from where? same industry? buried link page? Paid? High PR&Rep sites?
    1 article... did it suck? Is it totally amazing? Does it grammer and spell check? Is it meaningful and interesting for people already on your site? Or at all? Does it have solid images? Do you have proof it is yours (copyright)? the images?
    Why did they put it on article sites? Which ones? are they relevant?

Can they tell you what most likely caused the slide in rankings?

For that kind of money it is worth consulting some other firms to check up on what you are getting.
  7. No Profile Picture

I think you'll post your article in Hub Pages and create your hub page. after hub page create Squidoo Lense. also use guest blogging. all this stuff get your keywords back in top.

Comments on this post

• realityhack : Are you posting in the wrong thread or just spamming?
  9. No Profile Picture

Submitting the same article into many sites will be considered as an useful technique nowadays. It may lead to get duplicate content issue for your website.

Linking to 25 websites from your website?? What's the purpose of they gave an one way link from your website to other websites? I am little confused here., If I am in your situation, I won't allow to take one way link from me.. Will those websites relevant to you??

Did they submit your niche related directories? quality directories? Did you get approval from those directories?

I personally suggest you to consult with that SEO company and ask them to say the solution for getting ranking again. If they will not response properly, then you just leave that SEO company and move with some other reputative SEO Agency..
  11. No Profile Picture

The November 24th Panda update hit a lot of websites. It took out a lot of websites that had old content that wasn't updated for years but wasn't web spam. Just lower quality content that was typically below 400 words per page with no media. Often those pages didn't really have a point either so there didn't seem for there to be a reason for the pages to be up. This update seems to be an attempt to clean up the web of lower quality content.

It seems that all of those pages that got de-indexed sites that were hit by this update made a significant impact on the "good" pages on sites.

On whether or not you should fire your SEO company I do not think it is any easy answer. It is possible that they aren't quite sure what the issue is; yet that doesn't mean that you should straightway fire them. If you have a good working relationship with them, and you trust their input, maybe you can work through the problems together. At the risk of spamming the forum I'm going to suggest that you try out our penalty checker tool (its free) at Google Penalty Checker Tool | FRUITION | SEO Services Since 2003 Then let me know if it confirms what you are thinking.
  13. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by brendzer
    they did -

Cheers
    Link pyramid?

I heard a lot of people talking about "link pyramid" as the most effective strategy in ranking - and OMG they even said it is a white-hat SEO - urgh!

I think some of your links came form a low quality site - sites which Google looks down...
  15. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

Originally Posted by brendzer
    Hiya,

I'm the web developer for a site which we outsource all our seo to a uk company. (1100 a month) But since google released some updates in the last week of November 2012 we have dropped to the bottom of the first page for all our major keywords. (We were either 1st, 2nd, or 3rd before the update).

Now looking at the November report on what they did for that month they did -

Wrote 1 article and posted it to 5 article sites,
    Posted 25 unique links to our site from other sites
    Submitted our site to 25 directories
    Wrote 15 half page guides for contextual links

Is that worth the money we are paying them? If we move away from them would we loose all the link building/article work they have done for us?

We have already tried to increase the natural content on our site and write blogs but I was just wondering if anybody can give they views on what we should do?

Cheers
    Just by reading what they did, it sounds like you were sucked in...but for 1100 a month? that sounds like a 100 to 150 a month price from la la land.
    Don't know what you'll lose, don't know what possession they have. But if you were 1,2 and 3 you shouldn't be dropping. I would have them stop until you figure out whats going on. Sound like you need to hire someone that knows what their doing.
  17. No Profile Picture

1100 per month ?? Wow you must be quite rich !!

Now the work they mentioned is useless unless it is not delivering any results.

If you have hired a SEO firm, make sure that just do not send you the 'Work Done' report but a detailed 'Organic traffic' report based on Google Analytic.

Ask them the reason for drop in rankings...Check your webmaster and analytic data for the time period your ranks dropped.. Would give you clear idea of things as you will notice the substantial drop in organic search traffic for that time duration.

Now the work they have done....

As per my understanding of SEO, they are really not doing anything worthy for the money you are paying them.

Ask them for your Link Profile report, Link detox report. These will present a clear picture.

If you need any further help, I would be glad to assist you..
  19. What The Feck..

Sorry to say but you have been sold a "less than nothing seo service". Directories, articles and bookmarking all small of dead SEO tactics.

I'd suggest you speak with a professional and he will tell you what needs to be done.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by seo-naive
    1100 per month ?? Wow you must be quite rich !!
    You need a reality check. For actual real businesses, you know with multiple employees. In first world countries (last I checked England was one) that isn't likely even a particularly large expenditure.
    That figure is about $1,800 US per month. Many US residents (individuals) pay $200 a month for cable TV
    A minimum wage employee in MA makes $8/hr plus payroll taxes. $1,385 a month before the taxes to flip burgers.
    Any company serious about doing SEO is going to be shelling out several thousand a month.