Thread: SEO competitors

1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

SEO competitors

What is really competitor analysis mean?
    Is it analysis keyword based competitor or competitors for a niche?
  3. No Profile Picture

Both can be seen as your SEO competitors as people within your niche may rank for your keyword via long tail or LSI terms on their page.
  5. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Yikes, is someone paying you for a competitor analysis?
  7. No Profile Picture

Not sure if you mean me, but no.
  9. No Profile Picture

Identifying your competitors and evaluating their strategies to determine their strengths and weaknesses relative to those of your own product or service .
  11. No Profile Picture

Competitors analysis is the very basic and major task in search engine optimization. Where we analyze our competitor websites with the help of keywords. Let me describe in brief. Suppose that you have a website and your keyword is "xyz", when you search this on Google then top ten websites will show and those website is your competitor. After that you will pick any website which is ranked in all of keywords on top. You can take the help of any SEO tool for analyze the competitor website.

There are various things which we check in competitor analysis like keywords, backlinks, blogs, social media, referring domain, traffic etc. After that you can implement the same technique as your competitors has already done. With the help of these, Google will start giving the priority to your website and you will start ranking well.
  13. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Hi Everyone,

I feel I need to jump in here...

To start, competitor analysis can be hugely important and this is mainly to understand how Google views your industry or niche.

For example, one industries / niche's ranking factors can be very different to another's, this is why unpicking what works for whoever ranks highly can be very beneficial to building out your own plan and strategy.

When I complete competitor analysis I firstly look at who is ranking for what I have determined to be high value keywords. These are keywords that either; will drive high volume or traffic to your website and/or will drive leads / enquiries / sales such as keywords with a purchase intent.

Once I have these, I can identify who my competitors are and by keyword I like to to reverse engineer their strategy, looking at why they rank for that keywords starting with on page.

- Title tags, H1, H2 and on page content containing your keywords and identifying which semantics of that keyword are used - remember it is not about exact matching keywords and including them a a particular % density. This is about being informative and accurate talking about the subject you are trying to rank for.
    - Is there a link between content length and top rankings? This will help you build our a guide for content length
    - Website hierarchy - are their ranking pages deep or close to the top of the architecture and therefore easier for Google to find and crawl?
    - Site speed - a sub 2 second load time is an indication of an efficient and well coded and built website that Google will reward
    - Security - are they HTTPS? Again, Google will reward this over other results that are not secure
    - Links - Run a Majestic / Ahrefs report on your competitors root domains and ranking URLs and identify the number of links they have and plot them on a graph that shows how many links they have between certain amount of authority. For example, split your graph up into sections of 10 and you should end up with a kind of bell curve with a peak of links between, for example, 30-40 DA. This will show you what links you need to go after and give you a ratio against other higher DA links to give you that natural bell curve for that niche. Also, look at the relevancy of those links.

I can go into a lot more detail but you also need to look at all of this from a mobile perspective too as Google continue to roll out the mobile first index.

I hope this helps, but my point is that competitor analysis shouldn't be overlook at should be understood in a lot of detail.

HJJ
    Music Fan | Formula 1 Geek | Apple Fanboy | Head of Digital