1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

SEO Basics Course - Critical Feedback Anyone?

So this has been my pet project for the last year - creating a truly engaging, multimedia course for SEO.

It is, as the name says, for the Basics and it is primarily aimed at the SME who just wants to get their heads around what SEO is all about before deciding if they should dive in or contract it out.

Its really inspired by the endless conversations I seem to have with potential clients which go:
    ME: "So what is your current SEO agency doing?"
    CLIENT: "Um ... SEO"
    ME: "Yes, but what sort of things have they tried?"
    CLIENT: "Well ... you know .... SEO ...."

Like many here I've often pointed them to courses like Moz and the Google offering but they so often glaze over (so they tell me) - either because it is just lots of text or just someone rambling on a video.

Last spring I finally I thought I might try to go one better and after a year of it bubbling slowly on the back burner here is my crack at an easier way to learn SEO:

https://webmaxing.com/online-seo-basics-course/

I'd be really interested to hear from people what their thoughts are. Both the experienced and those who are just dabbling their feet in this subject.

For this Basics course I've tried to keep things fairly neutral (away from the subject areas that cause "Does", "Does Not" arguments!) and give even the most non-techie a way to get enough knowledge not to be conned....

Comments on this post

• Prof.stan agrees : Good job I have some part of it
  3. Retired from SEO
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

I was in this industry from more than 10 years but seriously I never read any basic tutorials or anything like that, I learned every things by my or other's mistakes but I was futunate as my boss always allowed me to do exprmental things and I am sure that couldn't be case for others still I believe you have posted a good link that will be refreshing our brain.
    Last edited by Prof.stan; Mar 13th, 2019 at 08:44 AM.
    You do your business I do mine because you are you and I am I If we meet it is nice.
  5. Moderator
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Two things:

1. Confirmation email went to junk. I whitelisted the email so hopefully, it gives your domain a bit more of a rep. Perhaps consider Sendgrid or something?

2. Actually, I'll direct message you the error as it might be sensitive. (reported it on your website)

As for the actual concept, I think the industry is screaming out for a genuinely decent course. Kind of busy at the moment but I'll look through the course a bit later and give feedback.

Ps the sites looking quite nice, good job!
    Last edited by matt1966; Mar 13th, 2019 at 01:48 PM.
  7. Contributing User

Originally Posted by matt1966
    I think the industry is screaming out for a genuinely decent course
    .... yes ... me too! Thanks for the 'little bug'

I am also thinking about how to handle the email issue. You're right, a 3rd party process might be better ....
  9. nobody
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

First of all, congrats on launching a free online course. A few years ago where I was an SEO only practitioner, I thought about doing that too. It helps to position yourself as an authority. These days I am all over the place, I do more than SEO, more along line of integrated search and digital marketing.

I am curious how much business this brings you. Please do share when you have some data.

Comments on this post

• Doodled agrees : Too true
    Enterprise SEO Consultant at Sefati & Company
  11. Contributing User

Originally Posted by bkseo
    These days I am all over the place, I do more than SEO, more along line of integrated search and digital marketing.
    I think that is a fair reflection of how many of us has moved. Its one of the reasons I made part of the course (Module 12) "SEO in Online Marketing" because I do think anyone who is learning SEO also needs to realise it is part of something bigger that also needs to be given some thought ....