Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Search Engine Optimisation for Multiple Sites

Hello. I need a little advice on an SEO related issue.

Basically I have two websites, one targeting one country and the other targeting another. Both sites contain similar content and layout although one does better in Google than the other. I've looked into various attributes but wonder why one site seems to perhaps not do so well in search rankings? I understand that Google doesn't directly penalise for duplicate content unless it thinks you are trying to dupe them into publishing two of the same sites.
    Whilst both sites are similar they have been adapted for the specific markets they are targeting and according to Google this is fine!
    Can anyone advise me on some tips to increase the ranking of the second site?
  3. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by sam1

Basically I have two websites, one targeting one country and the other targeting another. Both sites contain similar content and layout although one does better in Google than the other. I've looked into various attributes but wonder why one site seems to perhaps not do so well in search rankings? I understand that Google doesn't directly penalise for duplicate content unless it thinks you are trying to dupe them into publishing two of the same sites.
    Whilst both sites are similar they have been adapted for the specific markets they are targeting and according to Google this is fine!
    Build more links to it
    www.V2INTERACTIVE.net - SEO Web Design | On-Page SEO | SEO Audits & Reports | Link Building
    BASED IN ATLANTA, GA. Contact: Skype/Phone/Email (Discounted rates available for SEOChat members only - email seochat@v2interactive.net)
    Please EMAIL me at the above address and do not send Private Messages. I rarely check them and your message will be lost.
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks for your reply. How many backlinks (roughly) is it a good idea to have? The site that does well has a 4 digit figure of backlinks whereas the other site doesn't! Thanks in advance.
  7. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Thanks for your reply. How many backlinks (roughly) is it a good idea to have? The site that does well has a 4 digit figure of backlinks whereas the other site doesn't! Thanks in advance.
    It could take 10,000 crap links or a dozen quality links. It depends. It depends on your competition, keywords, niche, current site, etc.

There's no number. Even if I told you get 145 links. Why would you stop where you needed? SEO is a never ending project.
  9. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Put everything in 1 domain and redirect the lesser value domain to the root of the new subdomain (site).

Setup independent wmt profiles and edit geotargetting to the appropriate country (solves any duplicated content issues).

Now instead of developing 2 links and getting 50% ranking value you get 150% value.
  11. No Profile Picture

Yes you can do one domain submit at Multiple Sites. This is the facility of SEO. For article or blog posting you need to some changes of your content.

Thanks
    Nicole Starc
  13. No Profile Picture

Do classified submission on that country and social book marking and blog commenting on related theme.
  15. No Profile Picture

There isn't any fixed number for backlinks , so you must get and more backlinks .
    But don't put a lot of links from not relevant websites it is not good for SEO .
  17. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

Basically I have two websites, one targeting one country and the other targeting another. Both sites contain similar content and layout although one does better in Google than the other.
    When you say similar content and layout...what exactly do you mean. Are they the same except got the url?
  19. No Profile Picture

SEO is the main tool for the website to get more traffic to the website and maintain the levels over the search engines.
  21. Dancin with the devil
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by fathom
    Put everything in 1 domain and redirect the lesser value domain to the root of the new subdomain (site).

Setup independent wmt profiles and edit geotargetting to the appropriate country (solves any duplicated content issues).

Now instead of developing 2 links and getting 50% ranking value you get 150% value.
    Is 2 GWT profiles a recommended practice for similar situations where both sites target the same county or is this only b/c they both target 2 countries?
    "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." Chinese Proverb
  23. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by Lb1878
    Is 2 GWT profiles a recommended practice for similar situations where both sites target the same county or is this only b/c they both target 2 countries?
    Not really. Subdomains... while now considered as internal with respect to site architecture (link credits) between are now considered internal) are not included in the root domain just like you need different profiles for www & no-www.
    Last edited by fathom; Feb 17th, 2013 at 02:02 PM.
  25. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Do you always add both the www and non-www to WMT? I hate how unnecessarily cluttered it makes it look!
  27. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by giggity
    Do you always add both the www and non-www to WMT? I hate how unnecessarily cluttered it makes it look!
    Well you have to set your preferred default... then you can delete the canonical one.
  29. No Profile Picture

The website that is not doing good, add fresh and unique content to it. Submit it in webmaster. Make good backlinks(.gov, .edu etc) for it. Do post a press release once in a while on a website that further syndicates the content. This will solve your problem for sure.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: