1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Same google local listing for 2 different product website

I have 2 websites. One is my company website and other is a different single product related website.
    The company website already has a Google Local business listing on a particular address.
    Now I also want to make a Google business listing for the other website on the same address.
    Is it ok if I do this? will it affect my SEO strategy?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Google My Business listings represent businesses. If what you have is an another product and not an another business, then a separate business listing would be redundant and could trigger a penalty.

But "business" does not necessarily refer to a business name (company). A company can have two distinct businesses and still be under the same business name. For example, a company has a restaurant and also sells kitchen equipment. If the businesses are this distinct - so much that you can actually have 2 different websites for them and ideally 2 different phone numbers for each business - then they can rightfully have separate Google My Business listings.
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by engiketer
    Now I also want to make a Google business listing for the other website on the same address.
    Is it ok if I do this? will it affect my SEO strategy?
    Sorry mate, Google does not allow you to have two GMB listings with the same address for two different businesses.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by KnowOneSpecial
    Sorry mate, Google does not allow you to have two GMB listings with the same address for two different businesses.
    Hi KnowOneSpecial. I think you got confused. Google does allow two or more GMB listings with the same address for two or more different businesses. For example, 3 businesses operating inside the same structure. That would be just one address.

It gets complicated when you have a single business that offers 2 or more distinct "businesses/services" (in a single address) and hence you want 2 or more GMB listings - which I think is what OP is trying to qualify for. That "could" fall under brands or departments but based on OP's description of his issue, I don't think a "different single product related website" would qualify.
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Sandy2012
    Hi KnowOneSpecial. I think you got confused. Google does allow two or more GMB listings with the same address for two or more different businesses. For example, 3 businesses operating inside the same structure. That would be just one address.
    Actually I think you got it wrong, mate...
    Go read this...
    https://support.google.com/business/answer/6187665

Then read this...
    https://support.google.com/business/..._topic=4854126

It basically boils down to you need a unique address and phone number or Google has the tendency to unverify the first listing when you verify the second listing.

This is generally resolved by the use of suite numbers to differentiate between businesses in the same building... the same way the US Post Office delivers mail to different businesses in the same building.
    Oh and Google does not allow PO Boxes as an address.

Here is an example of two address that Google will accept with no balking. Both reside in the same building...but if you omit the Suite Number, they will not be allowed. Only one would be verifiable.

The following is allowed ...

Doc. E Brown Scientist
    123 Hill Valley, Suite A
    Mountain View, CA

Marty McFly Musician
    123 Hill Valley, Suite B
    Mountain View, CA

The following is not allowed ... note the omission of the suite address

Doc. E Brown Scientist
    123 Hill Valley
    Mountain View, CA

Marty McFly Musician
    123 Hill Valley
    Mountain View, CA
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Jul 8th, 2018 at 10:22 PM.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Actually I think you got it wrong, mate...
    Go read this...
    https://support.google.com/business/answer/6187665

Then read this...
    https://support.google.com/business/..._topic=4854126

It basically boils down to you need a unique address and phone number or Google has the tendency to unverify the first listing when you verify the second listing.

This is generally resolved by the use of suite numbers to differentiate between businesses in the same building... the same way the US Post Office delivers mail to different businesses in the same building.
    Oh and Google does not allow PO Boxes as an address.

Here is an example of two address that Google will accept with no balking. Both reside in the same building...but if you omit the Suite Number, they will not be allowed. Only one would be verifiable.

The following is allowed ...

Doc. E Brown Scientist
    123 Hill Valley, Suite A
    Mountain View, CA

Marty McFly Musician
    123 Hill Valley, Suite B
    Mountain View, CA

The following is not allowed ... note the omission of the suite address

Doc. E Brown Scientist
    123 Hill Valley
    Mountain View, CA

Marty McFly Musician
    123 Hill Valley
    Mountain View, CA
    Hmmm... We might be not at the same page. What I meant was like these two (which are two different businesses using the same address):

Bench and VC Trading
    Last edited by Sandy2012; Jul 8th, 2018 at 10:46 PM. Reason: forgot to insert links
  13. No Profile Picture

Hi Sandy2012

I just want to point out something ... probably makes all the difference in this discussion...

Notice the Red Arrows in the images, these are unclaimed GMB Listings. That is why you see both with the same address. Whom ever claims first gets the listing !

Your first business reference...

Your second business reference

15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I believe it applies even to claimed businesses like these two:

McDonalds and Biggs Diner

But then again, maybe these 2 just got away with it.
  17. No Profile Picture

Ok, you seem adamant in stating your point... Let me show you something....

Here is the GMB for The Cheese Cake Factory notice that the displayed address is incorrect, it only shows the address of the mall building.

Now here is the actual address of the business...

Notice that the actual address has a Suite # >>> Ste 2086. It is because of this suite address that this business which shares the same address of the building with all the other businesses in the mall that Google allows them all to have a GMB. The only way mail can be delivered to each business in such a situation is if there are suite addresses.

This is the case for each of the previous examples you have shown.

Notice all the businesses show in this picture are all located in the same business park...including your McDonalds and Biggs Dinner example.

Pacific Mall, Landco Business Park, F. Imperial St, Barangay Capantawan, Legazpi City, 4500 Albay, Philippines

But what you can plainly see is these businesses have to have a suite address or how would they get mail. When the GMB listings were claimed the suite address is included in the in the claiming of said listing which allows them to all share the same physical building address, but with different suite numbers. Yes there is a field just for Suite Addresses when you claim your GMB.

I can only suggest you go and create a couple of GMB listing and see for yourself. Then you will know from experience.

Probably the easiest way to prove this to your self is call up a mall and ask about vacancies and what your mailing address would be, which would include the suite #.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi KnowOneSpecial. First, we are doing this in the spirit of peace okay? I am adamant because I believe it is misleading to state that no two different businesses can have separate GMB listings if they have the same address. Because it actually is possible and doing so is not a violation of Google guidelines.

Perhaps this will convince you: https://www.en.advertisercommunity.c...on/td-p/509650 (note that although there is someone else on that thread that claims he is still having verification issues, it is likely that he has other issues apart from the address and hence the suggestion was that he create another thread for his own question).

But what you can plainly see is these businesses have to have a suite address or how would they get mail. When the GMB listings were claimed the suite address is included in the in the claiming of said listing which allows them to all share the same physical building address, but with different suite numbers. Yes there is a field just for Suite Addresses when you claim your GMB.

I can only suggest you go and create a couple of GMB listing and see for yourself. Then you will know from experience.

Probably the easiest way to prove this to your self is call up a mall and ask about vacancies and what your mailing address would be, which would include the suite #.
    It is ok not to have a suite address. The business will still get the mail because it is addressed to their own business name and not to the other businesses occupying the same address. That's like you will still get your mail, your brother will get his, your sister hers, your parent theirs, despite the fact that you might be living in the same addresses. Because the mail references not just the address but, more importantly, the recipient.
  21. No Profile Picture

Well, it appears you may be correct. I do know that I have had issues in the past with this problem and it was solved by using the Suite Address.
  23. No Profile Picture

no problem you can do it but you have to use different different mail address for registering it. It does not effect you seo
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi Sandy2012

I just want to point out something ... probably makes all the difference in this discussion...

Notice the Red Arrows in the images, these are unclaimed GMB Listings. That is why you see both with the same address. Whom ever claims first gets the listing !

Your first business reference...

Your second business reference

What I see here is though the address is same in both the listings, Contact number is different. That may be the reason both listings appeared in Three Pack Results. My basic understanding is there should not be two businesses with same NAP(Name, Address, Phone #).
  27. No Profile Picture

i don't think that this is possible, Google doesen't allow same listing for two website